Magic Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Reading posts, it sounds like it was possibly balloons popping and someone started screaming and it snowballed from there.

Sunday's NY Times has an investigative in depth article on the inner workings of the Iger/Chapek situation. Titled, The Palace Coup at the Magic Kingdom". NY Times generally blocks access, so you'll need to be a subscriber, pick up a print copy, or get a free initial access, to read it. It's a fascinating article that even goes beyond some of the stuff we already knew.

Sunday's NY Times has an investigative in depth article on the inner workings of the Iger/Chapek situation. Titled, The Palace Coup at the Magic Kingdom". NY Times generally blocks access, so you'll need to be a subscriber, pick up a print copy, or get a free initial access, to read it. It's a fascinating article that even goes beyond some of the stuff we already knew.
This link should work for the first handful of people who click on it. If this is the start of a heavily-researched book, I am in.

I don't know that this is really the most appropriate thread to discuss that article, but it's an incredible read. The closest we may get to a DISNEYWAR PART II.

That reporting has accomplished the impossible: it has made me somewhat (slightly!) more sympathetic to Chapek. I, of course, think his instincts in almost all areas are wrong, but it seems pretty clear he was never put in a position to succeed by Iger and the Board. They created a new executive structure out of nowhere (in conflict with the company’s bylaws) whose only real purpose was to allow Iger to undermine Chapek at any time.

Everything that has been wrong with Disney for the last few years (and longer) is a direct result -- in one way or another -- of Iger’s foibles, worries, greed, and plotting.

Chapek did a real no no when he secretly met with hated investor Norman Peltz and lobbied the directors to include Peltz on the Disney Board of Directors. ( Now we know why Peltz, on a CNBC interview at that time, bragged that he was going to be accepted as a board member)That alone was basis enough for termination, not counting that he (Chapek) continued to exhibit that he lacked the necessary management skills to run a media company, let alone theme parks......One of the points I found interesting, that I hadn't read before, is that Staggs lost his standing primarily due to the way over budget, late completion, of Shanghai park that he was the principle Exec./lead/planner on. He was the ultimate "Thank You, Shanghai" victim.

Last edited:
Reactions: saint.piss
Chapek did a real no no when he secretly met with hated investor Norman Peltz and lobbied the directors to include Peltz on the Disney Board of Directors. That alone was basis enough for termination, not counting that he (Chapek) continued to exhibit that he lacked the necessary management skills to run a media company, let alone theme parks.
This is all true, but at the same time, nobody would have survived as CEO under the same conditions Iger placed on Chapek. It's astonishing how badly Iger comes across in that piece (at least for me, in terms of the things I value and am looking for from the leader of this company).

One of the points I found interesting, that I hadn't read before, is that Staggs lost his standing primarily due to the way over budget, late completion, of Shanghai park that he was the principle on. He was the ultimate "Thank You, Shanghai" victim.
Another guy who took the fall (read: was forced to take the fall) for Iger (Shanghai was his passion project and intended to be his "legacy").

Reactions: SeventyOne
This is all true, but at the same time, nobody would have survived as CEO under the same conditions Iger placed on Chapek. It's astonishing how badly Iger comes across in that piece (at least for me, in terms of the things I value and am looking for from the leader of this company).

Another guy who took the fall (read: was forced to take the fall) for Iger (Shanghai was his passion project and intended to be his "legacy").
Well, neither comes on well. But, there's no way Chapek should have ever been elevated to that position. At best, he should have never been anything but middle management. He was lucky stars through his whole career until it collapsed. It's telling that he hasn't received a high level prominent position anywhere.