Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm an old guy an to me, coasters are a very visceral experience. They are rough, dangerous, and out of control. Even the first Arrow steelies threw you around. The first B&M I rode was Kumba the first week it opened. Compared to my previous coaster experiences, it seemed like riding a Cadillac convertible on the interstate. As in smooth, controlled, and almost relaxing.
Definitely agree on Kumba, very smooth, though I like it a lot. I do love visceral experience though, it is why I prefer Dragons over Hulk. Montu is my favorite.

It could be worse:
mUMwsGH.jpg
FUNNY!!! LMFAO!!!!

Regarding the comments on Magnum XL-200 and Mako's apparent similarities, I'll simply say this: "Maggie" is tied with X2 for my favorite steel coaster. It's relentless and amazingly fun. It's also rough as hell. As I get older, I can barely ride the old girl, as she just jackhammers my spine for 2 minutes. Mako won't be that way. It'll be smooth and hopefully full of airtime...and an awesome, desperately needed addition to the park. I can't wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mad Dog
Kraken boring? Different folks different strokes I guess. I just wish Kraken was nicely landscaped, instead of just out there in the backlot.
I prefer Kraken over Hulk as well.

I am with you. I love Kraken. It has always been one of my favorite coasters in Central Florida... actually it is my favorite. I also agree it needs more landscape and theming.

Another one in the Kraken better than Hulk camp. I think Hulks second half was a letdown but the potential was there for it to be the best.

Mako to me seems quite short, but I've never been on a B&M hyper, so I'm guessing it's one of those things which you need to ride to appreciate. I just hope it's more Manta than Kraken for landscaping and general ride area.

Another one in the Kraken better than Hulk camp. I think Hulks second half was a letdown but the potential was there for it to be the best.

Mako to me seems quite short, but I've never been on a B&M hyper, so I'm guessing it's one of those things which you need to ride to appreciate. I just hope it's more Manta than Kraken for landscaping and general ride area.

The preview video also cuts out 20-30 seconds of lift hill. That buildup does add to the experience.

EDIT: well the non narrated one fast forwards. IDK which you watched. Ideally it could be taller and longer but they are working with the space they have and will be a great addition!

I am with you. I love Kraken. It has always been one of my favorite coasters in Central Florida... actually it is my favorite. I also agree it needs more landscape and theming.

I think it uses the land well, that loop into the ditch is great. I've always had a thing for coasters that use the land well. Nemesis stands out as an all time great, I think ride designers that have restrictions, create some incredible creative ways to overcome them. Kraken basically had a massive land that may have lead to the designers getting lazy.

If SeaWorld are planning a massive overhaul, I can't wait to see what they can do to Kraken.

I love the coaster element of Kraken but the theming could be easily expanded upon with little budget just buy repainting all the buildings to match those of Atlantis.

Reactions: anihilnation
Kraken is a great coaster. My only problems with it are the theming, the picturesque view of the parking lot/roads at the top of the lift, and the sections going through the gutters. I don't know why but it really bugs me a lot if a coaster goes into an unthemed gutter.

Reactions: anihilnation
I think it uses the land well, that loop into the ditch is great. I've always had a thing for coasters that use the land well. Nemesis stands out as an all time great, I think ride designers that have restrictions, create some incredible creative ways to overcome them. Kraken basically had a massive land that may have lead to the designers getting lazy.

If SeaWorld are planning a massive overhaul, I can't wait to see what they can do to Kraken.

I agree I love coasters that use their land wisely. Kennywood I think is the best example of this. But I still think for very little money they could fix up the land and theming for Kraken. But I imagine return on the dollar is not enough. That is why DC over at Uni won't fix their theming issues.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I agree I love coasters that use their land wisely. Kennywood I think is the best example of this. But I still think for very little money they could fix up the land and theming for Kraken. But I imagine return on the dollar is not enough. That is why DC over at Uni won't fix their theming issues.

What's DC if you don't mind me asking?

As horrible as the view from the top of Kraken can be, it's pretty much the same with most coasters of that height. I think one of the greatest things about Kraken, is the view from I-Drive. The view is going to be marvellous once Mako opens.

I too am in the Kraken>Hulk camp but I think Kraken is perfect the way she is. The forward drop is incredibly exciting and it's a rare feature in CF coasters. They could add Atlantis type stone work to the front half trenches though. I just think Kraken overall, from theming, to the queue, to the ride, is just a simple and charming experience.

Reactions: Blue