Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The facade (I haven't seen it in person) looks a bit...disheveled

I though Mardi Gras was supposed to be bright colorful and fun?

IDK, It just seems like a bit of a depressing looking building lol

Reactions: Coolbfitz

It’s a strange choice, but Universal’s brand of Mardi Gras is kinda like a greatest hits of New Orleans culture/stereotypes. To most, it makes sense because it’s everything they know about New Orleans, but as someone from the area, it is jarring.

The voodoo/witchcraft aspect is very much it’s own separate thing IRL. Mardi Gras much more steeped in mythology and royalty.

im guessing person who designed the facade or is the Tribute store lead, took a trip to New Orleans and connected with Preservation Hall

It’s a strange choice, but Universal’s brand of Mardi Gras is kinda like a greatest hits of New Orleans culture/stereotypes. To most, it makes sense because it’s everything they know about New Orleans, but as someone from the area, it is jarring.

The voodoo/witchcraft aspect is very much it’s own separate thing IRL. Mardi Gras much more steeped in mythology and royalty.

im guessing person who designed the facade or is the Tribute store lead, took a trip to New Orleans and connected with Preservation Hall
I suppose, the shipping container food vendors are a strange choice tho lol

Fine to me too. Looks like the New Orleans I visited....Hopefully, no smells of rotting garbage, and remnants of beer, though. :lol: ;)
This is kind of my point

There is Mardi Gras and New Orleans and then there is "Mardi Gras" and "New Orleans"

I would have rathered them taken the romanticized approach

Just because it's realistic doesn't mean it needs to be represented

Last edited:

They've admitted that they wanted to bring the spooky aspects of Nawlins with the store, as the rest of the event is full of the bright colors, music, etc we associate with MG.

I really like the Tribute Store facade! Definitely reminds me of New Orleans I know. The crates I'm not so sure about, maybe they wanted to curb any Beetlejuice comparisons that come from the usual tents?

I think the store looks beautiful seems like there’s lot of hidden details and I love the reusing of old HHN props

I don’t know if anyone’s brought it up yet, but this event is bringing two things I’ve been waiting on from Universal Seasonal Events for what feels like ages: themed food booths, and enough food booths to effectively be a good festival.

Sure there was “French Quarter” and the Starcourt Tents in the past, but I believe this is the first large scale food festival that Universal has attempted. Also, while not to Epcot levels, I’m thrilled to see some façades and tents and the booths made to look like shopping containers.

Two steps in the right direction IMO.