Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'll go ahead and say that I absolutely love the international food aspect

I thought for years that Universal should do something in the vein of Epcot's International Food & Wine

But they've always had Mardi Gras to counter

I think Mardi Gras is a great place to plug and play that kind of addition

I appreciate the work that was put in, but aside from the ship room, it didn't hit for me. The Moldamatics and the gator gummies are cool though.

Reactions: shiekra38
Went yesterday and while I appreciate the sentiment and effort, not the kind of thing that would motivate me to visit again.

The floats lose their grandeur without the forced perspective that comes from the parade route and the dusk lighting and the music and the fire/smoke/confetti effects. Just kind of sit there, generally only staffed on one side. There are actors onboard tossing beads to kids, and doing their best, but obviously not as much fun as the stilt-walkers and face-to-face interaction we'd usually see. Staffing also seems off in places (could be opening day glitches). One dancer had the entire stage across from HMU to herself--it looked like a different kind of entertainment venue. Other performers stuck on two pedestals on either side of the snack trailer by Ben & Jerry's--they looked uncomfortably cramped.

As for the food booths, you can tell the food festival aspect was a last-minute audible. The ones near the Boneyard look great, highly themed, but serve full meals, which isn't ideal for sampling. The smaller booths offer "sample-size" portions (by Food & Wine pricing standards), but they are stuck in the most random spots, often with no queue space, and usually minimal theming.

I know money is the key, but the lack of live music feels like a missed opportunity as well. Putting two NOLA bands in rotation on the Boneyard stage would add so much to the atmosphere (and given musicians some much needed work). Much like EPCOT, without live entertainment this feels more like a glorified mall food court, or maybe more accurately the boring side of a Ren Faire where all the vendors are.

End of day, mildly interesting dishes, but nothing to recommend going here if you weren't planning to already.

I checked out the event on Sunday (7th) and enjoyed myself. I saw two different live bands either on the parade floats or on the stage across from HMU. The park felt alive with entertainment scattered everywhere. I do agree that some of the tiny platform/stages were kind of awkward.

I do miss the parade and the opportunity to throw beads. Always my favorite part.

Wow didn't realize they were finally doing a food festival. Maybe USH could free up some space and do something like this for Lunar New Year one day. Although part of Lunar New Year's charm is ostensibly that it's a more quaint event.

Went yesterday and while I appreciate the sentiment and effort, not the kind of thing that would motivate me to visit again.

The floats lose their grandeur without the forced perspective that comes from the parade route and the dusk lighting and the music and the fire/smoke/confetti effects. Just kind of sit there, generally only staffed on one side. There are actors onboard tossing beads to kids, and doing their best, but obviously not as much fun as the stilt-walkers and face-to-face interaction we'd usually see. Staffing also seems off in places (could be opening day glitches). One dancer had the entire stage across from HMU to herself--it looked like a different kind of entertainment venue. Other performers stuck on two pedestals on either side of the snack trailer by Ben & Jerry's--they looked uncomfortably cramped.

As for the food booths, you can tell the food festival aspect was a last-minute audible. The ones near the Boneyard look great, highly themed, but serve full meals, which isn't ideal for sampling. The smaller booths offer "sample-size" portions (by Food & Wine pricing standards), but they are stuck in the most random spots, often with no queue space, and usually minimal theming.

I know money is the key, but the lack of live music feels like a missed opportunity as well. Putting two NOLA bands in rotation on the Boneyard stage would add so much to the atmosphere (and given musicians some much needed work). Much like EPCOT, without live entertainment this feels more like a glorified mall food court, or maybe more accurately the boring side of a Ren Faire where all the vendors are.

End of day, mildly interesting dishes, but nothing to recommend going here if you weren't planning to already.
Points for still calling it the Boneyard ;)

Reactions: SeventyOne
REVIEW: Universal Orlando has kicked off another year of Mardi Gras, with Universal now shifting the focus on the food festival aspects of the event.

Potential hot take:

I wouldn't miss the parade and concerts if they never came back

This was my favorite iteration of Mardi Gras

The spacing of the food carts made it more accessible quickly rather than cramming everyone in one spot

The floats around the park were a nice touch as it felt like you could always play along and catch beads when you wanted

Idk, it could be the King Cake talking, but this year felt nice

Potential hot take:

The spacing of the food carts made it more accessible quickly rather than cramming everyone in one spot

The floats around the park were a nice touch as it felt like you could always play along and catch beads when you wanted

Last year was my first time. I fully understand your food carts comment. This new layout, and added food selection, sounds much better. Actually, my favorite part of the Mardi Gras was the street dance celebrations with the
performers and the strolling live bands. I'd guess that's not happening to the extent it was before covid safety. So I'd definitely be missing that.

Potential hot take:

Coming from someone who's never liked parades (ruining scarezones might have something to do with it), I agree.