Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

Well ain't this the cat's pajamas! I don't think we've ever seen kids meal toys based on rides before.

Well. This is certainly interesting... What are the implications here? What's the thought process?

Well. This is certainly interesting... What are the implications here? What's the thought process?
These were supposed to roll out over the summer to promote Runaway Railway opening, but the parks were closed. Releasing them for Mickey’s birthday works too.

Each toy includes an entry for a chance to win a trip to WDW. The entries say contest ends aug 2020, but it actually ends early 2021 now.

Well ain't this the cat's pajamas! I don't think we've ever seen kids meal toys based on rides before.

This isn’t the first theme park tie in for happy meals. Remember they did toys based on Animal Kingdom in the 1990s to promote the grand opening.

I got the Goofy Jungle Cruise toy.
I think you mean Pluto. That’s the one I got.

Something fun about them, they all have a hidden Mickey.

DD8D20E7-F9C2-418B-8578-0E329B90C715.jpeg

This isn’t the first theme park tie in for happy meals. Remember they did toys based on Animal Kingdom in the 1990s to promote the grand opening.
As Alicia said these aren’t the first toys for rides. For example there was a King Louie figure on a Jungle Cruise boat. If you remember the implications of that you remember...

Thanks, I was trying to find a previous time they were offered, but old articles are being buried by this new toy rollout.

The best WDW fast food tie-ins were the McDonald's glasses from 2000!
f336f8902017b5ed7cf2efde1ac939b0.jpg

Last edited:
These were supposed to roll out over the summer to promote Runaway Railway opening, but the parks were closed. Releasing them for Mickey’s birthday works too.

Each toy includes an entry for a chance to win a trip to WDW. The entries say contest ends aug 2020, but it actually ends early 2021 now.

Thank you Alicia for the informative reply. Though I forgot about the Animal Kingdom tie in, I thought it was interesting they would be promoting a single ride using a national campaign like this, the toys based on a single ride specifically. Is this something we'll see more of? Is there a shift in how Disney is viewing their rides and parks? What made them chose this specific route? Or is it just a randomly created marketing campaign with absolutely no meaning or thought behind the execution?

As Alicia said these aren’t the first toys for rides. For example there was a King Louie figure on a Jungle Cruise boat. If you remember the implications of that you remember...

What exactly is the point of this response? Like you said, Alicia reminded us there's been other instances of ride toys.

Maybe I'm reading too far into it but it just seems like a rude add? Sorry for trying to add to the conversation, create discussion, ask questions?

To be fair, I should've clicked the article to see they made toys for more than Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (which makes more sense and all but eliminates my curiosity and invalidates my previous questions), but the headline is what I based my response on before I read the article and it was misleading.

If they did a series of toys based solely on a single ride, That would potentially mark a shift in how they are marketing new attractions. This campaign markets the whole resort as is usually the case. Nothing to see here, nothing new.

View attachment 13526
Yeah, that one. I didn't open it yet.

To be fair, I should've clicked the article to see they made toys for more than Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (which makes more sense and all but eliminates my curiosity and invalidates my previous questions), but the headline is what I based my response on before I read the article and it was misleading.

If they did a series of toys based solely on a single ride, That would potentially mark a shift in how they are marketing new attractions. This campaign markets the whole resort as is usually the case. Nothing to see here, nothing new.
The campaign is technically for Runaway Railway, but to make better use of multiple toy designs, other attractions from across WDW are included. You'll notice that all of the characters are only ones you'd find on Runaway Railway, and the Happy Meal box is geared towards Runaway Railway specifically as well. Even the fact that they all connect to make a train is sorta relevant... I guess the concept is, come on down to WDW to ride Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, but while you're here, check out these other fun rides tooooooo.

Also, it's not too surprising that Disney wanted to make a big deal about this ride in particular, given it's Mickey's first fully fledged ride. Too bad pandemic happened.

What exactly is the point of this response? Like you said, Alicia reminded us there's been other instances of ride toys.

It was a reference to an infamous thread from WDWM about a user who SWORE King Louie was in the ride despite research showing no figure ever was in there. Turns out he might have remembered it from a happy meal toy.

It was a reference to an infamous thread from WDWM about a user who SWORE King Louie was in the ride despite research showing no figure ever was in there. Turns out he might have remembered it from a happy meal toy.

Lol, wow. That was one hell of a reference. Vaguely remember that being bought up on other boards...11 years, sheesh. My bad.