Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (Disneyland)

I mean yeah, it's got the history as Walt's park, most MK attractions, 7 classic-style dark rides (2 of which are unique to the park), the Matterhorn, the Submarines, Indiana Jones, a better (and safer) version of Space Mountain, 4 of Hollywood Studios best dark rides and simulators, and New Orleans Square.

Our Tomorrowland's still a bit crap though :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, forgot about seasonal overlays to attractions, and yes I do like Haunted Mansion Holiday more than the original ;)

Don't forget better food, Disneyland's snack game just runs circles around WDW. As well as better ops.
I know some people prefer the original, but I downright love the Hyperspace Mountain overlay which is honestly one of the better Star Wars experiences Disney offers.

Well, it is a real bummer that this ride is being delayed a year. It kinda feels like it takes Disney an entire generation to build stuff.

I was able to take advantage of the dirt cheap flights to Orlando and went on this several times! It is my second favorite ride at DHS with RotR being first. The videos don't really do the videos justice. Y'all are in for a real treat! It's a very fun, very charming ride. It will fit like a glove in Toontown.

Don't forget better food, Disneyland's snack game just runs circles around WDW. As well as better ops.
I know some people prefer the original, but I downright love the Hyperspace Mountain overlay which is honestly one of the better Star Wars experiences Disney offers.

Hyperspace Mountain is better than MF and Star Tours.

Agree on snack game, but it seems like Disney still dilutes its food offerings over time. Flo's was nowhere near as good in 2018 as it was in 2012. My sister and I also mourn the loss of the make-your-own rice bowls, and, although by now long gone, its neighbor, the free Tortillas.

Hyperspace Mountain is better than MF and Star Tours.

HM throws you into the action the best, and I love how it's a build-up to the near miss with the Tie Fighter, and just when you think it couldn't get any more awesome, you're thrown into the crossfire moment which sends the whole train into a collective "HOLY CRAP!!!".

Agree on snack game, but it seems like Disney still dilutes its food offerings over time. Flo's was nowhere near as good in 2018 as it was in 2012. My sister and I also mourn the loss of the make-your-own rice bowls, and, although by now long gone, its neighbor, the free Tortillas.

I didn't eat at any of those places last year so I can't really comment, though all of the QS places I did eat at last year I really preferred over what I've had at WDW.

As for Runaway Railway, as others have said I do agree this'll be a nice addition. To which I definitely appreciate DL went the route of replacing a gift shop/backstage rather than taking out Rodger Rabbit which what a lot of us feared. I just wish their construction timelines were faster.

Agreed, at least it's all contained in backstage spaces so it won't be a pain to navigate. It's going to be a problem once they get around to redoing Tomorrowland however.
Lol
in 2030? Disney has painted themselves into a corner with that project. They now have to Redo Splash after Mickey ride and both projects will take longer because of buget constrictions. Rumors also Jungle Cruise might get a big update in the near future too and Snow White is also getting worked on. Plus rumors of them wanting Smugglers run to get an update to become more liked/popular

We aren't seeing a new Tomorrowland for a longggggg time sadly

I don’t see why they added MMRR to Toontown when Hollywood Land in DCA would have been the better fit for that neglected area

I realize that they won't, especially with budget cuts like they are, but it would be interesting if they added or changed a scene or two. For instance, the dance studio scene or upgrading the twister scene. Basically, learn and improve upon the DHS (Department of Homeland Security) version.

I realize that they won't, especially with budget cuts like they are, but it would be interesting if they added or changed a scene or two. For instance, the dance studio scene or upgrading the twister scene. Basically, learn and improve upon the DHS (Department of Homeland Security) version.

Agreed. The scenes are so random, I feel like they are easily interchangeable for other cartoon landscapes.

Probably because Hollywood land isnt going to be Hollywood land forever.
Yeah, I see Hollywoodland getting a wrecking ball to take practically the whole thing down. The only thing worth keeping is the theater. I kinda think a mini version of Pandora wouldn't necessarily be the worst. Put Flight of Passage and Satuli Canteen in the are in a contained area and keep the theater.

Yeah, I see Hollywoodland getting a wrecking ball to take practically the whole thing down. The only thing worth keeping is the theater. I kinda think a mini version of Pandora wouldn't necessarily be the worst. Put Flight of Passage and Satuli Canteen in the are in a contained area and keep the theater.
Unless they kept it indoors, it would be bad for the thematic integrity of California Adventure (whatever that means post Guardians). All they need is to extend the Buena Vista Street theming into Hollywoodland. Then you just do what you did with Runaway Railway at DHS. Behind those nicely themed 1933 L.A buildings are some fun rides. Why? Because it's Hollywood Buster Brown, you're in a movie.

Gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want. Maybe you put the rumored black-box ride in an El Capitan replica. Then you put an E-ticket in the Chinese theater based on some Disney movie that doesn't really fit anywhere else in the parks. Poppins would be perfect at the Chinese Theater for obvious reasons, but if not you still got Aladdin, Lion King, or Mulan that don't really fit anywhere. And hey, if Disney wants to, put Avatar behind one of those theaters. For me the rides in this area don't really matter so long as excite and evict the kitschy backlot theming.

Unless they kept it indoors, it would be bad for the thematic integrity of California Adventure (whatever that means post Guardians). All they need is to extend the Buena Vista Street theming into Hollywoodland. Then you just do what you did with Runaway Railway at DHS. Behind those nicely themed 1933 L.A buildings are some fun rides. Why? Because it's Hollywood Buster Brown, you're in a movie.

Gives them carte blanche to do whatever they want. Maybe you put the rumored black-box ride in an El Capitan replica. Then you put an E-ticket in the Chinese theater based on some Disney movie that doesn't really fit anywhere else in the parks. Poppins would be perfect at the Chinese Theater for obvious reasons, but if not you still got Aladdin, Lion King, or Mulan that don't really fit anywhere. And hey, if Disney wants to, put Avatar behind one of those theaters. For me the rides in this area don't really matter so long as they are good and we get rid of the kitschy backlot theming with the unthemed soundstages.
That's true. I guess at this point with Marvel, Cars Land and Pixar Pier, I already see the integrity as lost.

However, going on what you sad about BVS, I would love if they added a side street that was similarly themed to BVS that led to a Art Deco theater and a ride that also fit the theme. Admittedly, Runaway Railway would've been that ride for sure, but MMRR also fits Toontown well and DL needs love, too (especially more modern attractions).

That's true. I guess at this point with Marvel, Cars Land and Pixar Pier, I already see the integrity as lost.

However, going on what you sad about BVS, I would love if they added a side street that was similarly themed to BVS that led to a Art Deco theater and a ride that also fit the theme. Admittedly, Runaway Railway would've been that ride for sure, but MMRR also fits Toontown well and DL needs love, too (especially more modern attractions).
At least with Marvel and Cars Land they kind of tried? Can't completely say the same of Pixar Pier though. I also think a BVS extension or an Art Deco sidestreet as you mentioned allows them to be more flexible, as you limit your options when you tie a land to a single franchise.

Maybe the minimal approach to the rooms can work for DL's advantage. Holiday overlays anyone? Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Ghost Train or Christmas Chaos would make for great seasonal overlays. It's mostly projected so they can work on that overnight!

While i would've preferred this ride go into DCA for the sake of splitting up the E-tickets and letting DCA have its own trackless dark ride, the aesthetic of this ride seems more appropriate for Toontown. Sure, just like it being at DHS, having the ride at DCA would have fit just fine, but this will fit in Toontown like a glove. Plus, it's probably better off there in the long run as literally nothing else would've gone back there anyway that would be suited for Toontown. More expansion space open.
At least with Marvel and Cars Land they kind of tried? Can't completely say the same of Pixar Pier though. I also think a BVS extension or an Art Deco sidestreet as you mentioned allows them to be more flexible, as you limit your options when you tie a land to a single franchise.
I would rather they keep the BVS aesthetic around the area up to where the Hyperion theater is. The area around Monsters Inc. can be fully demo'd for all I care.