Middle Earth coming to UOR? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really don't like the sound of a LOTR theme park. I like the way they have it now where it covers several properties. All though it would be cool to have each area visited in the movies represented.

If they went with the third gate concept, I would imagine that it would have more than 1 IP. What about LotR, Star Trek, How To Train Your Dragon, and King Kong? I would expect a new Kong reboot about that time. They seem to reboot him about every 25 years. And that would be about the time they could get all the details hammered out.

Disclaimer: The above is just ME "Blue Skying". No connection to ANYTHING Universal may be planning.

Last edited:
I'd rather Universal dip into Dreamworks or Uni films more than the new trend of buying up popular movie rights. LotR would be a lot of fun, but I'm not sure UOR is big enough to do it justice. I like the idea of replacing Toon Lagoon though.

LotR is better then all Dreamworks Animation films and would be better rides. Your point?

Seriously? This is the kind of stuff people keep warning you about. He made his point. And it never included saying any Dream Works film was better than LoTR or would even make a better experience. He even admits LoTR could be fun. Just in his personal taste, he'd like to see them going in a different direction.

Wanna have a constructive conversation about it? Try bringing up something like Illumination doing well for Universal making it less likely for them to reach outside and spend on DW. Otherwise, you're adding nothing of meaning to the thread.

Ok, I went too far. Sorry. But LotR would be better because of several reasons:

1. Won't become outdated. Tolkien's Middle Earth has been around for 76 years and is still going strong. Let's see how HTTYD holds up in 72 years. Chances are it will be forgotten.

2. Wider appeal. Again, LotR has a wide appeal, mainly from 10+. This will work perfect for everyone if they have a Sire section and put kiddie rides there, plus have bigger rides for older audiences.

Behind WWOHP 2.

Ah thanks! :smiley: Don't know how they can connect Middle Earth to the Studios if it goes up there (especially with the Hogwarts Express traveling through that road), but it is pretty big. The plot behind Simpsons and MIB also seems likely. If it goes up in IOA, however... I'm honestly not sure how they can implement it! :shrug: TLC is right next to the WWOHP and it would be a nightmare if Middle Earth were placed there. I would suspect Toon Lagoon would go if anything.

I think this will happen once Diagon Alley/London is done.

Last edited:
Ah thanks! :smiley: Don't know how they can connect Middle Earth to the Studios if it goes up there (especially with the Hogwarts Express traveling through that road), but it is pretty big. The plot behind Simpsons and MIB also seems likely. If it goes up in IOA, however... I'm honestly not sure how they can implement it! :shrug: TLC is right next to the WWOHP and it would be a nightmare if Middle Earth were placed there. I would suspect Toon Lagoon if anything.

I would suspect this happens once Diagon Alley is done.

Like I said before, if they wanted to use the CM parking they can make a path between WWOHP and FFL.

HTF said this would probably be in about 6 years.

If Universal does do a 3rd park, I wouldn't mind it being a central theme with several branches under that, like Busch Gardens Africa. Something that they have the creative space to do literally whatever they want under that central banner. Imagine Universal being able to create their own world. Where their is no boundaries on how creative they can be. It'd almost be like creating a new book, except bringing it to life in a theme park. Just imagine Diagon Alley awesomeness on a park-wide scale. It would be a game changer.

Reactions: Felipe
Like I said before, if they wanted to use the CM parking they can make a path between WWOHP and FFL.

HTF said this would probably be in about 6 years.

Interesting point about the path, but I'm not sure about how they would implement one with all those apartments behind FFL and Gringotts. :shrug:

6 years, oh my! I'll be done with college by then! :lol:

If Universal does do a 3rd park, I wouldn't mind it being a central theme with several branches under that, like Busch Gardens Africa. Something that they have the creative space to do literally whatever they want under that central banner. Imagine Universal being able to create their own world. Where their is no boundaries on how creative they can be. It'd almost be like creating a new book, except bringing it to life in a theme park. Just imagine Diagon Alley awesomeness on a park-wide scale. It would be a game changer.

I'm actually really digging this concept! :thumbs:

Ok, I went too far. Sorry. But LotR would be better because of several reasons:

1. Won't become outdated. Tolkien's Middle Earth has been around for 76 years and is still going strong. Let's see how HTTYD holds up in 72 years. Chances are it will be forgotten.

2. Wider appeal. Again, LotR has a wide appeal, mainly from 10+. This will work perfect for everyone if they have a Sire section and put kiddie rides there, plus have bigger rides for older audiences.

I have never been into LOTR. It's just not really my cup of tea and I find it hard to relate to. In 72 years, people may not know exactly what the movie, How to Train Your Dragon is, but the premise is simple and everybody gets it. LOTR...not so much. It's a complex world of characters and places.

However, I think the whole idea would relate well to a theme park. Like Teebin stated though, I find it hard to put it where the team member parking lot is because there is literally no way to get to it. I'm sure UC would figure something out though.

The Hobbit is pretty easy to follow considering Tolkien made it as a kid's book. LotR is aimed more at older kids/adults, but I can totally understand if it's not your thing.

Last edited:
I don't care what the IP is, it would have to be an AMAZING attraction to still be in a Universal Park in 72 years. Kong was an amazing attraction with a still popular 75 year old IP. It's the Mummy now.

I'm a fan of the franchise, but I rather not see it come to the theme parks. I'd prefer something else, whatever that may be. I just feel that it falls within the same realm of Potter personally. You'd have Goblins & Elves at both areas that look totally different from each other; Giant Spiders (Shelob and Aragog); and the argument could be made that Gandalf/Dumbledore and Dementors/Nazgul are similar.

I'm a fan of the franchise, but I rather not see it come to the theme parks. I'd prefer something else, whatever that may be. I just feel that it falls within the same realm of Potter personally. You'd have Goblins & Elves at both areas that look totally different to each other; Giant Spiders (Shelob and Aragog); and the argument could be made that Gandalf/Dumbledore and Dementors/Nazgul are similar.

I completely agree! universal has enough of this type of fantasy characters. We need some diversity. Personally I never got into the franchise at all. I fell asleep in the theater the first movie, never saw another one. But I guess I can understand why it is popular. I would LOVE a Star Trek attraction or land. But I'm not sure if it would work...

If we did get Star Trek, how many lens flares would there be :lol:

OT, I can see why some people wouldn't want LotR and HP because they're too similar to each other, but Disney has been doing that for years.