Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

What’s the likelihood of lord of the rings/middle earth ending up replacing toon lagoon I read this somewhere and being a totally new themed land at IOA?
Dude, you're literally in a thread filled with speculation and linking to articles talking about rumors. You don't need to go into every thread and ask "what's the chance of _____ happening". Use the search function on the forum or read a some of the threads before going into every single thread and asking a question.

Chances are if there's a thread about it, the question has already been raised.

Dude, you're literally in a thread filled with speculation and linking to articles talking about rumors. You don't need to go into every thread and ask "what's the chance of _____ happening". Use the search function on the forum or read a some of the threads before going into every single thread and asking a question.

Chances are if there's a thread about it, the question has already been raised.
Alright my bad but I would like to see lord of the rings/middle earth come to Universal Orlando we just don’t know which Uni Park will be suitable for a middle earth themed land.

Two and a half years pass, and this is a bump in the making. The Lord of The Rings IP is out in the open for Theme Park use, and it comes thanks to Embracer Group.

Recently, Alicia did a sumation of the LOTR rumor in particular too.

I wonder how this will go as Embracer Group is a gaming company and doesn't do anything in theme parks (yet). Lets hope Universal will be able to get the rights from them.

Well this really blows things wide open. Assuming there's no theme park rights tied up, it could be relatively easy to get the rights without worrying about previous agreement a la Marvel/Disney.

Let's hope it doesn't end up at six flags or something.

So, I am going to borrow some stuff from @Alicia and two members of the TPS Discord: Wallin Ballin & Fangzthewolf.

If this deal allows Embracer to be the sole group for theme park licensing, that then cuts out the Estate from being involved. Hypotehtically speaking, all they'd need to do is to make a deal with Embracer, and then the filmmakers involved (that being Peter Jackson included) for this.

Granted, as we don't know what Embracer would want, but as I've come to understand it, Embracer's more on the terms of hands-off. Meaning this could be a matter of specifically Middle Earth Enterprises, Universal, and the creative parties involved on the particular stories?

So, I am going to borrow some stuff from @Alicia and two members of the TPS Discord: Wallin Ballin & Fangzthewolf.

If this deal allows Embracer to be the sole group for theme park licensing, that then cuts out the Estate from being involved. Hypotehtically speaking, all they'd need to do is to make a deal with Embracer, and then the filmmakers involved (that being Peter Jackson included) for this.

Granted, as we don't know what Embracer would want, but as I've come to understand it, Embracer's more on the terms of hands-off. Meaning this could be a matter of specifically Middle Earth Enterprises, Universal, and the creative parties involved on the particular stories?
And like I was saying earlier, considering Universal Parks has a relationship with Peter Jackson for creating attractions, and Warner Bros with the Potter lands, it always felt like the only thing standing in the way was the Tolkien estate. Now we just need to wait and see of Embracer embraces theme parks more than the estate did.

And like I was saying earlier, considering Universal Parks has a relationship with Peter Jackson for creating attractions, and Warner Bros with the Potter lands, it always felt like the only thing standing in the way was the Tolkien estate. Now we just need to wait and see of Embracer embraces theme parks more than the estate did.

It really only comes down to Universal or Disney having the ability to do the IP justice and Tolkien hated Disney.

Theoretically if no theme park rights are currently outstanding, they could get them without the movies and just do their own interpretation.

However, with WB seemingly a happy partner that also has a corporate desperation for cash post-merger, I could see WB using this as a chance to get cash flow from an existing property with no upfront cost on their balance sheet. I hope it works out.

It would be easier to do their own version and not have to deal with the nitpicking that Warner is famous for. ...and probably cheaper too.

In that example, would they not be able to make the land look like any of the film iconography?
I'd conjecture the recent movies developed their film sets from the images evoked by the writing and artwork of the books. Universal could just do an adaptation, no need to be the exact film set. Images of the villages, towns, etc. are bound to look somewhat similar to the Jackson movies but they need not be exact. Jackson movies aren't canon, Tolkien's books are canon.....Jackson wasn't the first. I recall an adult rated animated film I saw about 50 years ago, that was pretty damn good in it's own right.

The fact that a gaming company, and not Amazon, Apple, Disney, or some other major player in the streaming industry, got this is somewhat mind boggling. I would have thought Amazon would have paid more than the total value of Embracer's entire company for the rights. Logical thought is that they will sell off the various rights in pieces(movies, tv, theme park rights, etc) and keep the gaming rights for themselves. While that, in itself, is probably good for Universal, there is that possibility that Disney buys the movie/tv rights and asks for the theme park rights in the process.