Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

Updating this, Warner Bros. Pictures has formed a new Multi-Year Pact with Embracer Group; with the ensurance of curating all new films set within Peter Jackson's Middle Earth--expanding what has been present in both Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit's trilogies respectively.

Updating this, Warner Bros. Pictures has formed a new Multi-Year Pact with Embracer Group; with the ensurance of curating all new films set within Peter Jackson's Middle Earth--expanding what has been present in both Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit's trilogies respectively.

Weird how Peter Jackson's new movie had a scene where the gang voyages through Middle Earth on a multi-launch Intamin Blitz

Previously theme park rights for LotR was never an option but now they will be coming. Warner (Potter) and Peter Jackson (Kong) both have worked with Universal Creatives before. Potter is a huge cash cow for the ip and there is even growth. So I expect a LotR expansion at Epic Universe will be started in an expansion plot as soon as possible.
Universal Creative please call me for my idea for a trackless "choose your own Fellowships adventure" ride.

Nothing screams “Epic” really more than LOTR. Maybe Potter, maybe Mario… but hey! They’d be in the same park! Perfect theming cohesion.

Previously theme park rights for LotR was never an option but now they will be coming. Warner (Potter) and Peter Jackson (Kong) both have worked with Universal Creatives before. Potter is a huge cash cow for the ip and there is even growth. So I expect a LotR expansion at Epic Universe will be started in an expansion plot as soon as possible.
Universal Creative please call me for my idea for a trackless "choose your own Fellowships adventure" ride.
They should do something with Oceaneering's trackless system. The only problem with the trackless system used for Kong is simply that a system meant to move harbor containers did not translate into a theme park environment, where you need really precise movement.

They should do something with Oceaneering's trackless system. The only problem with the trackless system used for Kong is simply that a system meant to move harbor containers did not translate into a theme park environment, where you need really precise movement.
There is no problem with regular trackless systems. Even a local park as Efteling can make a trackless ride work, the ride system is off the shelf and tried and tested. Kong has a different, custom systems as that a big trucks moving around unlike the pugs you normally see. Biggest problem to make a excellent trackless ride is that it is difficult. Most of the trackless rides out there could easily have been a track ride.

There is no problem with regular trackless systems. Even a local park as Efteling can make a trackless ride work, the ride system is off the shelf and tried and tested. Kong has a different, custom systems as that a big trucks moving around unlike the pugs you normally see. Biggest problem to make a excellent trackless ride is that it is difficult. Most of the trackless rides out there could easily have been a track ride.
I think it may have something to do with the needed capacity as well

Somewhere like Efteling doesn't have the capacity needs that somewhere like Universal or Disney does

More trackless trains the computer has to keep track of, the higher the likelihood of a fault

I also think the trackless rides are a bit overpriced for what you actually get out of them

I think it may have something to do with the needed capacity as well

Somewhere like Efteling doesn't have the capacity needs that somewhere like Universal or Disney does

More trackless trains the computer has to keep track of, the higher the likelihood of a fault

I also think the trackless rides are a bit overpriced for what you actually get out of them

We also got way too many trackless rides in a short period of time and their unique attributes are no longer interesting. The only other thing that would make a trackless ride appealing is if you can figure out a way to lock the vehicle into a coaster track for a thrilling segment.

I hope we are headed towards a "classic dark ride" phase in theme park design, going back to basics while using technology to enhance it, not being the main focus.

Idk what on middle earth it’d be, but I suspect just something completely brand new for LOTR E ticket. They’re not gonna give us Gandolf’s Runaway Railway, this will be of epic proportions if we get it.

I hope we are headed towards a "classic dark ride" phase in theme park design, going back to basics while using technology to enhance it, not being the main focus.
Mario Kart is literally a modern take on a classic dark ride with a video game attached and I'm waiting for everyone to realize it

And don't get me started on SLOP

Mario Kart is literally a modern take on a classic dark ride with a video game attached and I'm waiting for everyone to realize it

And don't get me started on SLOP

That's why I said I hope we are headed in that direction, and we don't get too coaster/simulator heavy. One of things holding back Universal, in my opinion, are family attractions that everyone can ride that don't get you wet or throw you in front of a screen. ET and CITH are the main exceptions... but both need dire refurbs lol

To bring this discussion back to Middle Earth, visually this could be Universal's director competitor to Pandora.

I think trackless could be amazing if it was interactive. Say you are part of a new fellowship, your vehicle is at a junction, go over the Lonely mountains or through the mines of Moria? The fellow ship choose and splits up or all go the same path (vehicles of 4). You get 2 different paths and the story changes accordingly. Problem is this is going to need the biggest dark ride building, with multiple levels, ever build. It would be, dare I say, Epic...

I'll say it again, but wanting a 20 acre land, regardless of whether the property merits it, is a quick way to both lose expansion space and fall on your face if you screw it up. I'd much prefer a 7 acre land with mutiple levels that uses its space efficiently over a sprawling land that ping pongs you between massive show buildings.

I'll say it again, but wanting a 20 acre land, regardless of whether the property merits it, is a quick way to both lose expansion space and fall on your face if you screw it up. I'd much prefer a 7 acre land with mutiple levels that uses its space efficiently over a sprawling land that ping pongs you between massive show buildings.

Agree. My biggest issue with SWGE is that its way too big for the amount of content it actually offers. Diagon uses space efficiently with most facades featuring some sort of venue you can interact with. That entire First Order area in SWGE doesn't offer much visually, and if you are not interested in spending $200+ on lightsabers, or the cantina, there's nothing to do.

Agree. My biggest issue with SWGE is that its way too big for the amount of content it actually offers. Diagon uses space efficiently with most facades featuring some sort of venue you can interact with. That entire First Order area in SWGE doesn't offer much visually, and if you are not interested in spending $200+ on lightsabers, or the cantina, there's nothing to do.
Agreed. Now if you have more you want to do later on, like with Potter, then you can expand. If the IP is big enough to warrant a 20 acre land, then it stands to reason that it would be big enough to sustain added expansions after a decade or two.

We also got way too many trackless rides in a short period of time and their unique attributes are no longer interesting. The only other thing that would make a trackless ride appealing is if you can figure out a way to lock the vehicle into a coaster track for a thrilling segment.

They could utilize the "trackless" that follows the wire embedded in the floor that is far better at vehicle positioning and eliminates the headaches that UNI had with Kong. They had the ride system where a boat ride became a suspended ride and so, with the right amount of cash and dedication, I'm sure that they could build something combining the two. However, they could really just use the powered coaster concepts with track switches to send a car into various scenes with some randomizing and then strong coaster section, and back to a powered section.

Last edited: