Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mission:Space

Yes, I saw that on Magic. Hopefully they get a new mission. That ride has become old before it's time......Such a waste of a really beautiful facade & pretty good queue. I actually like most of the attractions at Epcot, but I just can't get into Mission Space. It's like Twister was to me, easy to skip during a vacation.

Yes, I saw that on Magic. Hopefully they get a new mission. That ride has become old before it's time......Such a waste of a really beautiful facade & pretty good queue. I actually like most of the attractions at Epcot, but I just can't get into Mission Space. It's like Twister was to me, easy to skip during a vacation.

I always reference back to the optimism there was at Epcot when it was being built and getting ready to open. Everyone was so excited, like there was electricity in the air. When they had the town hall and showed everyone a rough fly-through of the courtyard and a quick stick figure thing of the ride system, everyone was thrilled. When the music first came on the courtyard everyone stopped by to hear it. When they let folks in to play-test Mission: SPACE Race - so many ooh's and aah's over the building, the courtyard, the spinning globe. People stopping and reading all those glass plaques.

Shortly after the official opening it became a sort of soylent green "something is very VERY wrong" sort of dread and dismay. Most of the cast hadn't experienced the ride because of how the opening and previews occurred. What they did see was the guest reaction and often adverse reactions. It wasn't pretty.

So... if there's something they can do to get it back to where it was before it opened.. capture that sense of awe and wonder and "gee, aint this neat" then I think the attraction could be a success. But if it's just lipstick on a pig, tear it down and start over.

I've always been curious if the ride's initial reaction from the audience ever tainted it permanently.

Back when the ride opened, they made a big deal about how it was "the most intense ride at Walt Disney World" and then shortly after open, somebody died on the ride.

First time I went on M:S, that's all I was thinking about. I was incredibly hesitant to ride it (granted, those tidbits were literally the only thing I knew about the ride).

I always reference back to the optimism there was at Epcot when it was being built and getting ready to open. Everyone was so excited, like there was electricity in the air. When they had the town hall and showed everyone a rough fly-through of the courtyard and a quick stick figure thing of the ride system, everyone was thrilled. When the music first came on the courtyard everyone stopped by to hear it. When they let folks in to play-test Mission: SPACE Race - so many ooh's and aah's over the building, the courtyard, the spinning globe. People stopping and reading all those glass plaques.

Shortly after the official opening it became a sort of soylent green "something is very VERY wrong" sort of dread and dismay. Most of the cast hadn't experienced the ride because of how the opening and previews occurred. What they did see was the guest reaction and often adverse reactions. It wasn't pretty.

So... if there's something they can do to get it back to where it was before it opened.. capture that sense of awe and wonder and "gee, aint this neat" then I think the attraction could be a success. But if it's just lipstick on a pig, tear it down and start over.

I remember following construction so closely and was fortunate enough to be in town when they initially soft opened. I was so let down after riding it.

I remember following construction so closely and was fortunate enough to be in town when they initially soft opened. I was so let down after riding it.

Seeing it all up close is why i tend to "read the air" -or whatever the japanese expression is- and not buy much into the hype when new things are announced or getting ready to open. Like Pandora has a distinct "meh" from AK's cast.

I think the fail is that unless you keep focused on those tiny screens the nausea becomes intense. If you try to move your head around you are done for the rest of the day

Who wants to do that?

I don't hate the ride system or concept. I actually really enjoy the liftoff and slingshot sequences. But the video overall is just so bland and unrepeatable. I'm not sure how they can really fix it. But can it get that much worse? :shrug:

Excellent evaluation. Right on.

I know the small screen is trying to mimic a real spaceship view, but thus ride would have been so much better if there was just one sizable enough screen in each pod to feel much more immersive.

I know the small screen is trying to mimic a real spaceship view, but thus ride would have been so much better if there was just one sizable enough screen in each pod to feel much more immersive.

Or if they considered at least having a wider viewing angle - tall people and short people cant really see the screen without craning.

Food for thought - two centrifuges haven't moved in a while. So it's not like this would be major mechanical wear/tear maintenance. They'd literally just have to turn the other two off and vice versa and extend the shelf life by years.

And there's no scenery or moving props or heck, like complex lighting or special effects. Nothing that couldn't be done one bay at a time if it was vehicle pod work.

So what are they doing for 2 months? I suspect a major queue routing overhaul of some sort. The original layout wasn't great, the new layout was thrown together haphazardly, and since then most of the props are gone.

Think it'll still be more intense and less intense? Maybe all one way or the other?

Imagine - if you came up with a new show and put a lot of effort into the vehicle movements without the intense spinning, you'd get green but a much better version of green, right?

I haven't been on this ride in years. Is it really that intense?

I will go on almost anything, and I went on this last September. I cannot believe such an intense ride exists at Disney. It literally took me and my partner a day or two to recover from it, it made us extremely sick. I don't suffer from any form of motion sickness and I've never felt sick on a ride before.

I was glad I did it, as it really does feel like you went to space (I could barely breathe) but I certainly would not rush to go on it again!

you cant blame theme parks for guest not reading warning signs.besides people got hurt on the energy ride.

I believe the people who died were generally healthy and had no idea they had a heart issue and may never had known throughout a normal life.

It's difficult to describe on a sign exactly what's going to happen to you on this ride. It's the one ride on the planet that scares the bloody hell out of me. Even on green side, I was unprepared for the intense wave of claustrophobia that hit me in that thing.

I believe the people who died were generally healthy and had no idea they had a heart issue and may never had known throughout a normal life.

It's difficult to describe on a sign exactly what's going to happen to you on this ride. It's the one ride on the planet that scares the bloody hell out of me. Even on green side, I was unprepared for the intense wave of claustrophobia that hit me in that thing.

Yeah, I had no knowledge of the ride when we rode it. When we were asked do you want spin or no spin? I was like spin is fine, I've ridden much worse rides. I've been on the simulator at Kennedy Space Center a few years back and assumed that it would be no worse than that, all of the warnings are basically the same as on any other ride so I did not expect it to be that intense. They certainly could do a better job of communicating how extreme of a ride it is.