Monsters Cafe Closing | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Monsters Cafe Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While not unexpected, I'm still not thrilled about this development. We’re going from a place I enjoyed spending some time in... to a place I (probably) won’t spend any time in.

Just baffles me that they are making the entrance to their flagship park a half-assed minion themed area.

It's bizarre, right?

Production Central has never been a great "first impression" land, but at least when Hitchcock was there, you had some heft and gravitas.

Heard some rumors about the tribute store, I think @belloq87 will be interested.

what-curious.gif

Ha, maybe! Something had to happen here, I get that, more than a menu revamp was needed.
Perhaps, but I think that could've just been fixed with some creative marketing. Honestly, I bet the reason it didn't get more customers was just a lack of visibility; it was a place you wouldn't really notice until you stumbled inside, and then you'd go "oh yeah, this place! I forgot how cool the decor in here was!" If they'd just revamped the entrance to be more obvious (rather than drawing attention away toward the to-go stand nearby, which people probably thought was the whole restaurant) I bet it would've gotten more business, but I guess it's neither here nor there now.
RIP to one of the last vestiges of OG Universal Studios. Seems like a weird choice to convert the "Studio" park entrance into a single themed IP land, especially one as whimsical and with as narrow appeal as Minions.

I mean it is the first universal park in Florida so there’s the sentimentality value to it.
Sure. But it's not the flagship park in Orlando, nor would it be considered the flagship park of the chain.

Production Central has been garbage for a long time. I'm not convinced all this will make it great, but it'll make it cohesive, which is a plus.

I’m glad I got to visit my last trip. I definitely hope those props/memorabilia get used somewhere cool. I can’t believe how quickly this went down from initial rumor.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I’m glad I got to visit my last trip. I definitely hope those props/memorabilia get used somewhere cool. I can’t believe how quickly this went down from initial rumor.

It was bound to happen sooner or later with EU's monsters land. Honestly surprised it took this long.

I'm wondering if they intend on converting Richter's to seasonal if they intend on keeping this as a quick service.

Reactions: Nico
It was bound to happen sooner or later with EU's monsters land. Honestly surprised it took this long.

I'm wondering if they intend on converting Richter's to seasonal if they intend on keeping this as a quick service.
Richters is always extremely busy. I highly doubt it goes seasonal, though I can see a theme change if they move away from San Fran eventually.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I grew to like the restaurant and it's themed rooms. But, it seems it was to the point that it wasn't open many of the times we visited on vacation. It's hard to actually miss something that was closed often....and...when they revised the menu, the food was pretty good at a very reasonable price. ....

The other thing is that the Monsters Cafe represented the characters as-depicted in the classic movies and in pop culture. It’s been heavily implied that the Monsters land in Epic Universe is going to be a re-imagining of them, to some degree.

I hope the traditional appearances will continue to have a presence somewhere (I’m intrigued by rumors about the Legacy Store).

Was anyone really pining for Dracula's Brisket?

The appeal for me was never the food, it was the atmosphere. And as a Classic Monsters mega-fan, that went a long way.

Minions Cafe (or whatever) may well end up having a better menu, but it won't be a place I'll choose over other options in the park the way I sometimes would with Monsters.

Hopefully, the replacement will be open all year. It's a shame Universal chooses to seasonally close so many of it's eating establishments when the resort is nearly continuously crowded and needs more capacity
to keep the lines reasonable.

The appeal for me was never the food, it was the atmosphere. And as a Classic Monsters mega-fan, that went a long way.

Minions Cafe (or whatever) may well end up having a better menu, but it won't be a place I'll choose over other options in the park the way I sometimes would with Monsters.
It did have a very cool interior and look...but they have proven they can convert a shop to Monsters and give it the same, if not better, atmosphere than the cafe.

I remember a time when Monsters Cafe was the only representation in the parks...therefore it was very special

Since then it has become unnecessary IMO

I bet ya we see a new permanent Monster store sooner than later

Just baffles me that they are making the entrance to their flagship park a half-assed minion themed area.

Maybe it’ll be more like a minion overlay of production central? Still incorporating the soundstage look etc?

What do they do with Rockit and music plaza?
Nobody has yet to convince me that Production Central is anything less than two unthemed soundstages passed off as meta theming

To answer the Rockit and Music Plaza question...Nothing will happen with it, and I assume it will be part of its own thing "Music Plaza" more than likely