Monsters Cafe Closing | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Monsters Cafe Closing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hopefully, the replacement will be open all year. It's a shame Universal chooses to seasonally close so many of it's eating establishments when the resort is nearly continuously crowded and needs more capacity
to keep the lines reasonable.

They're apparently bringing back mobile order only in many locations, too, which is not a trend I like.

This whole building needs a re-work to be more open and inviting

Plus the food options in Hollywood's Minions Cafe look positively charming

Was anyone really pining for Dracula's Brisket?
They need to change where the entrance is imo (or add a second one) at the end of the building near the Donkey M&G. It would make the restaurant impossible to miss if you were to see the entrance as you are walking down the main avenue of the park.

They need to change where the entrance is imo (or add a second one) at the end of the building near the Donkey M&G. It would make the restaurant impossible to miss if you were to see the entrance as you are walking down the main avenue of the park.
I'm hoping it opens up towards the arches or towards music plaza

Another aspect is being able to see inside

Something like the Today redo

The decor was always significantly better than the food. I loved walking around and taking in the (often quite niche) references and thematic touches.

It was sadly an underperforming location, which explains why it was often closed. I hope they can find a home for some of the props and scenic. Not particularly excited about the inevitable Minions restaurant (the installation in Hollywood is underwhelming), but it is what it is.

I'm ok with jettisoning the cheesy '90s version of the characters. The theming was cool but let's face it, thematically, why is it even there. It's a total non sequitur. For better or worse, soon we will have a MiniMinionLand. And from a straight business perspective, MINIONS!

Monsters land at Epic could be like EPCOT - in terms of being "bar hopping" friendly.

Love Monsters, but doesn't really jive with a family dining experience.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Many have brought it up before, but the design decisions to make it more spooky are what did it in overall. It just was not inviting. I would love to see a modern take on the history the monsters, not just another hyper-themed restaurant.

Frankly, replace the amphitheater and Rockit with a Minions wild-mouse and a flat. Then put a “concert plaza” in the KidZone that can dump straight back and behind ET straight through the Esoteric Gate (or straight into CityWalk).

That way you can still do a massive show without blocking a main thoroughfare in and out of the park.

You can actually fit the current plaza on top of Curious George, and still enough space for Mummy AND Gringotts to pretty much fit. Take the space, build a VelociCoaster-esque, F&F launch coaster with city-scape background (Tokyo!) with the concert plaza and you fix a LOT.
E955B446-DFED-49EF-91A5-515315AF2C70.jpg

I'm ok with jettisoning the cheesy '90s version of the characters. The theming was cool but let's face it, thematically, why is it even there. It's a total non sequitur. For better or worse, soon we will have a MiniMinionLand. And from a straight business perspective, MINIONS!

Ummm, wasn’t it based like way before the 90s’. I don’t even know if the Monsters had a 90s incarnation (Arnold Vosloo’s version didn't really count).

Reactions: belloq87
Frankly, replace the amphitheater and Rockit with a Minions wild-mouse and a flat. Then put a “concert plaza” in the KidZone that can dump straight back and behind ET straight through the Esoteric Gate (or straight into CityWalk).

That way you can still do a massive show without blocking a main thoroughfare in and out of the park.

You can actually fit the current plaza on top of Curious George, and still enough space for Mummy AND Gringotts to pretty much fit. Take the space, build a VelociCoaster-esque, F&F launch coaster with city-scape background (Tokyo!) with the concert plaza and you fix a LOT.
View attachment 16335
Counterpoint: put a couple all-ages dark rides in KidZone and make it the park's Fantasyland equivalent.

Ummm, wasn’t it based like way before the 90s’. I don’t even know if the Monsters had a 90s incarnation (Arnold Vosloo’s version didn't really count).

The 1990s is when Universal really started to heavily market the Monsters again, so that's fair, but the Cafe was filled with stuff that predated that period.

And even still, the '90s were good for the Monsters; that's when the "Universal Studios Monsters Classic Collection" arrived on VHS, which I think is what kicked-off a lot of renewed interest in the characters...
monster-vhs.jpg

Sure. But it's not the flagship park in Orlando, nor would it be considered the flagship park of the chain.

Production Central has been garbage for a long time. I'm not convinced all this will make it great, but it'll make it cohesive, which is a plus.

Eh, I dont know about this one. As a visitor, my enjoyment of the park is way more impacted by the quality of the rides than the cohesion of the theming.

This move kind of makes me think that the escalator ride isn’t that temporary, and that Minion Mayhem will be around a while longer than it should be. I don’t see how that’s better than at least having the potential of better (if not cohesive) attractions at the park entrance.

Plus I actually kind of liked Monsters. Yeah the theming was cool but honestly I liked the barbecue too lol.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts