MSHI Expansion? | Page 137 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I got a survey yesterday and I'm not sure how much of the specific options to all the questions were based on my initial open ended answers, but it didn't give me a good feeling about this recent MSHI replacement/development rumor. I'm still 90% sure there's nothing to that silly rumor and they'd never touch it, but this survey bumped that number down from 99%

• Wow
Reactions: Mike S
I got a survey yesterday and I'm not sure how much of the specific options to all the questions were based on my initial open ended answers, but it didn't give me a good feeling about this recent MSHI replacement/development rumor. I'm still 90% sure there's nothing to that silly rumor and they'd never touch it, but this survey bumped that number down from 99%

1) The same survey that said it was confidential?
2) There are other places around the resort that need replacing.

Without a doubt Universal Creative probably has plans for any land or attraction that may need to be replaced in the future, especially when it comes to an IP they don’t own outright. Business decisions can happen at any time, and they always need to have some kind of plan in place if things change for any reason. That probably goes double for Marvel since it is owned by their biggest competitor, and despite an iron clad contract, it would be foolish to assume that Disney wouldn’t like to terminate it at some point.

Always remember that Disney got Oswald back from Universal in exchange for a sportscaster’s contract. The two companies do all kinds of business together, and someday the price will be right to give the contract up for something Comcast values more.

Without a doubt Universal Creative probably has plans for any land or attraction that may need to be replaced in the future, especially when it comes to an IP they don’t own outright. Business decisions can happen at any time, and they always need to have some kind of plan in place if things change for any reason. That probably goes double for Marvel since it is owned by their biggest competitor, and despite an iron clad contract, it would be foolish to assume that Disney wouldn’t like to terminate it at some point.

Always remember that Disney got Oswald back from Universal in exchange for a sportscaster’s contract. The two companies do all kinds of business together, and someday the price will be right to give the contract up for something Comcast values more.
Oswald wasn't in direct competition of anything Universal. Marvel, however is. It'd be like handing a gun to your opponent

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying, but for Universal to give up the Marvel attractions, they would likely require Disney to buy them out -- that means $$$ for demolition and removal of the Marvel elements as well as $$$ for development and installation of the replacement experiences. They may even want a premium for the inconvenience and/or something to make up for the loss of the valuable Marvel IP. It would be a massive, massive price tag that I'm not convinced Disney is willing to swallow anytime soon, especially when the company is short on cash and already planning to invest a significant amount in other areas. Universal has shown a willingness (and legal ability) to update its Marvel attractions in the past few years with the rebuild and rebrand of Hulk.

As for Oswald, that was a dormant IP. Universal was likely more than happy to trade it for something they did want and could actively use.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you're saying, but for Universal to give up the Marvel attractions, they would likely require Disney to buy them out -- that means $$$ for demolition and removal of the Marvel elements as well as $$$ for development and installation of the replacement experiences. They may even want a premium for the inconvenience and/or something to make up for the loss of the valuable Marvel IP. It would be a massive, massive price tag that I'm not convinced Disney is willing to swallow anytime soon, especially when the company is short on cash and already planning to invest a significant amount in other areas. Universal has shown a willingness (and legal ability) to update its Marvel attractions in the past few years with the rebuild and rebrand of Hulk.

As for Oswald, that was a dormant IP. Universal was likely more than happy to trade it for something they did want and could actively use.
I agree, we'd be looking at hundreds of millions that the Marvel deal is worth, but we're also talking about two companies who fairly regularly do multi-billion dollar deals. Both companies have things the other wants and you never know when suddenly a contract for broadcasting sports or something along those lines becomes something they want to make a deal for. I have no idea which contracts ESPN or ABC have for which leagues, but a contract like that is easily worth far more than the Marvel rights and having to retheme an area in a theme park.
Oswald wasn't in direct competition of anything Universal. Marvel, however is. It'd be like handing a gun to your opponent
Yes and no-- suddenly Disney COULD build Marvel at WDW if they traded or bought out the contract, but even if they did you would be looking at 5-10 years before they could actually add any attractions. In the mean time, the whole MSI could have easily been re-themed to something as good or better and actually turn into a plus for Universal.

Of course this is all not currently happening, but once again, I'm sure they're prepared for any contingency.