NBC Sports Grill Brew | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

NBC Sports Grill Brew

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also, that cover charge for XFinity Live is just ridiculous. I think most bars around here were charging between $15-50 as a cover, or a lower cover with a drink minimum. The few non-franchised B-Dubs that did it only charged a $20/person cover, and they said their cost was about $5,100/location for the fight.

I mean, that's fine. The fight was a once in a lifetime thing. I wager it would have been empty either way, as I doubt people on vacation would want to spend 5000 per table to watch a fight.

Xfinity Live in Philly charged $50-$3000 for tickets to watch Mayweather Pacquiao. It included premium open bar from 5-9, I think.

The $3000 tables were in a special VIP section. But you could get in for $50.

Reactions: maxairmike
I mean, that's fine. The fight was a once in a lifetime thing. I wager it would have been empty either way, as I doubt people on vacation would want to spend 5000 per table to watch a fight.

Also, that cover charge for XFinity Live is just ridiculous. I think most bars around here were charging between $15-50 as a cover, or a lower cover with a drink minimum. The few non-franchised B-Dubs that did it only charged a $20/person cover, and they said their cost was about $5,100/location for the fight.
Maybe the $5000 was a premium package or something, but according to this article, you could get in for $60: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight | XFINITY Live! Philadelphia Events

I see no reason why they couldn't do the same thing in Orlando.

Reactions: maxairmike
There won't be PPV. For a venue like that to show PPV fights they have to pay an EXORBITANT amount of money, and charge the patrons even more. I believe Xfinity Live in Philly charged $5000 a table for Mayweahter Pacquiao. UOR could decide to eat the licensing cost for something like that, but I seriously doubt it.

Where did you get that outrageous figure? They had a $50 cover for GA and a premium open bar for 4 hours, $100 or so for reserved seating with the premium open bar, and then there was a $3000 VIP package that included food and bottle service for big parties of 10-20 people. Xfinity might as well be a club some nights, just because they're similarly themed and owned by the same parent company doesn't make them comparable lol. Don't know why you would think any establishment in Orlando of all places would charge $5000 a table.

If the fight happened when NBC Sports Grill & Brew was open, you can bet they would've shown it, and there probably would've been a $30-$50 cover like literally every other place that showed it, with a buffet or open bar, etc.

Reactions: Nick
I just can't comprehend this post. A once in a lifetime fight is what made this so special and a big deal to see... yet you go on to say the place would've been empty and throw out outrageous numbers without fact checking. :what:

I just can't comprehend this post. A once in a lifetime fight is what made this so special and a big deal to see... yet you go on to say the place would've been empty and throw out outrageous numbers without fact checking. :what:

CityWalk isn't the rest of Orlando. There are many other locations in the resorts that could show the fight in a controlled setting (no big windows, out of the way, no families).

CityWalk isn't the rest of Orlando. There are many other locations in the resorts that could show the fight in a controlled setting (no big windows, out of the way, no families).
Once again, ESPN Club showed the fight. If Disney isn't afraid to shut down a whole restaurant for a pay-to-enter experience to watch a once in a lifetime fight, then I highly doubt Universal will be timid about closing off at the very least the upstairs for events like that.

Comcast is in this to make money and that fight was one of the biggest money makers sports bars have seen outside of any Superbowl this century. They wouldn't pass that up.

I'm not throwing out an outrageous number with out fact checking. I'm giving you the price for a table at a similar venue for said fight as was quoted to a friend after an inquiry. You clearly do not understand how PPV works at venues like this. Even the Buffalo Wild Wings in the area I was during the event charged 65 dollars a head before food and drink.

Reactions: RonaldsModernLife
I'm not throwing out an outrageous number with out fact checking. I'm giving you the price for a table at a similar venue for said fight as was quoted to a friend after an inquiry. You clearly do not understand how PPV works at venues like this. Even the Buffalo Wild Wings in the area I was during the event charged 65 dollars a head before food and drink.
I do understand how PPV works at venues like that.. I went to see it at my local B-Dubs. Was $35 flat fee.

However, I provided you with a link a few posts back which showed that the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight allowed entry to Xfinity Live for $60. That's bringing the facts to the table.

Once again, I don't see why you seem to think that that is out of the question for Orlando? I found a "similar venue" (same one you are talking about) and provided the cost of admission, which was pretty much the same as any bar doing the event.

I do understand how PPV works at venues like that.. I went to see it at my local B-Dubs. Was $35 flat fee.

However, I provided you with a link a few posts back which showed that the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight allowed entry to Xfinity Live for $60. That's bringing the facts to the table.

And I'm telling you at somepoint, when we called, that was not the case.

But I know you love to be contrarian, so I'll drop it.

And I'm telling you at somepoint, when we called, that was not the case.

But I know you love to be contrarian, so I'll drop it.
I don't love to be contrarian, I simply am bringing facts to the table and the facts say that $60 was being offered.

Perhaps you waited a tad too long and all that was left was the $5000 premium packages...

maybe it was 3K not 5k. Either way, I don't see a restaurant in the resort saying to guests, "Sorry, you can't eat here unless you pay us 40 bucks before your meal." Which was the point I was trying to make originally.

Reactions: Nick
maybe it was 3K not 5k. Either way, I don't see a restaurant in the resort saying to guests, "Sorry, you can't eat here unless you pay us 40 bucks before your meal." Which was the point I was trying to make originally.
Ok, that's fine and I see where you're coming from.

But I don't see how on a big event night like that it's a big deal. I mean the places are rented out to companies a lot anyway so they're essentially telling potential customers "You can't eat here" on those days as well. I went to ESPN Club for the Super Bowl and there was no getting in unless you paid a reservation in advance. You could watch on the boardwalk, but no getting in.

I just don't see it as a big deal. Big event nights in sports come around very rarely and when they do, as a sports bar, you need to take advantage of it. Just about every other night of the year the place will be open as normal, one night where you charge extra (which isn't wrong of you as a business) for a premium product is perfectly fine imo.

Ok lets move on from PPVs and talk about less controversial topics like politics and TEA attendance numbers. ;)

I was discussing with 'the guys' before and was debating what the menu would look like. While they're highlighting some unique items, I think a fair share of that 75 items will be multiple versions of one item (burgers, wings, pizza, etc). Thoughts?

I mean anything that would be PPV showing worthy (big boxing or UFC fights), doesn't usually start until 9PM. They can also just partition off a section of the restaurant for people who want to watch the fight (like many restaurants do) and leave sections for folks that don't pay cover. Not sure why that idea is so farfetched, but let's move on from this.

Any word on food? Is Chef Jayson curating our eats here? Think we'll get regional favorites?

I was discussing with 'the guys' before and was debating what the menu would look like. While they're highlighting some unique items, I think a fair share of that 75 items will be multiple versions of one item (burgers, wings, pizza, etc). Thoughts?

Probably a good bet to get about 5 different burgers, 5 different pizzas and such.

I just want legit wings. Garlic chunks on hot sauce >>>>>>>

None of this garlic parmesan crap.

Reactions: wizwit
Speaking of the noted-philanthropist...

Hopefully they have some sort of eating challenge here. Maybe a reallllly hot wing challege.