Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Tomorrowland Rumored for DL

Have you been on the most recent version of Hyperspace Mountain? It's the best overlay of this ride and I wouldn't mind if it became permanent. The music, projections and effects are absolutely amazing, especially the laser beams.
Is it different now from when it started?

I thought it was good, better than the normal SM. But I still want that ride WAY upgraded

It really hasn't seen an update in 20 years and even then the main ride didn't change that much. They could for sure make you feel like your in space way more than they do and i would not be against a story. Also it would upgrade the halloween version and they could do a new star wars version at some point to.
In regards to the PeopleMover...did anybody here ever go on it? It looked really cool :(
I remember it, I was young but the Tron part really stuck in my mind for a long time as a kid. It was fun for what it is a way to get off your feat for 15 mins and make the land feel more alive. I went on the one at MK a few years back..think I rode it three times because i wanted a break but also wanted to be on a ride.

Space Mountain to me, works because it doesn't *need* to have a grand or overly complicated story. It's just going out on a patrol into the reaches of the galaxy. Could they add more scenic pieces, to enhance the feeling of travelling through space and seeing stuff like asteroids, planets in the distance, and other ships as we travel? Yes. But wanting a grand story for Space Mountain doesn't make sense for me at all.

Disneyland, ain't the Paris Space Mountain.

In regards to the PeopleMover...did anybody here ever go on it? It looked really cool :(

It's been over 25 years ago, but yeah, I've been on it many times. It's fun and relaxing, but other than seeing the interior of some ride buildings, you can get similar overhead views of the park from the Monorail.

Is it different now from when it started?

I thought it was good, better than the normal SM. But I still want that ride WAY upgraded

It really hasn't seen an update in 20 years and even then the main ride didn't change that much. They could for sure make you feel like your in space way more than they do and i would not be against a story. Also it would upgrade the halloween version and they could do a new star wars version at some point to.

I believe the latest version added more projected scenes and effects. It definitely feels like you're in the middle of a space battle with near misses from being hit by lasers and ships whizzing by you. The entire ride was retracked from 2003-2005 so that's a major renovation within the last 20 years.

Space Mountain to me, works because it doesn't *need* to have a grand or overly complicated story. It's just going out on a patrol into the reaches of the galaxy. Could they add more scenic pieces, to enhance the feeling of travelling through space and seeing stuff like asteroids, planets in the distance, and other ships as we travel? Yes. But wanting a grand story for Space Mountain doesn't make sense for me at all.

Disneyland, ain't the Paris Space Mountain.
Its literally just a dark room now.

To me thats not so impressive, also space is all about being epic Star Wars, Halo, Mass Effect...who wants nothing like the best? I just think they need to add some port windows int he Q...maybe a robot or two. Then when you get to space see planets things to look out besides the "lights" that are suppose to be stars. This is Disney, and a land based in the future and feels very much like the past in a cheap way.

Its literally just a dark room now.

To me thats not so impressive, also space is all about being epic Star Wars, Halo, Mass Effect...who wants nothing like the best? I just think they need to add some port windows int he Q...maybe a robot or two. Then when you get to space see planets things to look out besides the "lights" that are suppose to be stars. This is Disney, and a land based in the future and feels very much like the past in a cheap way.
Space doesn't have to be an epic space opera story. I think the defining factors in making this ride so successful are: A. The soundtrack, and B. the actual ride.

Space doesn't have to be an epic space opera story. I think the defining factors in making this ride so successful are: A. The soundtrack, and B. the actual ride.
Lol

I hate this new Space...yeah I hate epic stories, new effects and the fact there are more things to look out and feels like your flying though space

The ride can stay the same but make it feel like an E ticket. I don't get how this is int he same park as Rise of the Resistance which in sooo many ways makes you feel like you went to space.

Lol

I hate this new Space...yeah I hate epic stories, new effects and the fact there are more things to look out and feels like your flying though space

The ride can stay the same but make it feel like an E ticket. I don't get how this is int he same park as Rise of the Resistance which in sooo many ways makes you feel like you went to space.
I'm a huge fan of Star Wars. I was lucky enough to go during media previews (Aunt is a freelance writer and was asked to go) and I had a blast! I haven't gone on Rise yet since I haven't gone since the media previews. Ok but Space Mountain, on the other hand, is just a product of its time and sure if they had new effects the ride would benefit, but what do you mean more things to look out and feel like your flying through space?

Compare that to this awesomeness.

And think of what they could do with NEW tech not tech from 2013.

Projection mapping has come a long way, look at how alive the new Mickey ride looks. Imagine a Space mountain where as you pass planets they have different effects on them and look alive and vivid.
I want to note we are years....years from Tomorrowland getting redone so the tech by then will be even better. I would love Space Mountain and the Piaaz restaurant next door be redone and themed to have a story that makes them in universe. Riding a cool new SM and then going into a space port to eat...thats my dream.

I would also not mind a Tron ride but the coaster takes up a lot of space...so I could settle with something like Radiator springs racers that is a dark ride with a little bit of thrill at the end

Figured I would blow the dust off this thread to post this video I stumbled upon.

Now this is just two YouTubers spitballing here, but they brought up how MiceAge seems pretty confident that a new Tomorrowland overhaul is in the works. These two are speculating that a Lightyear overlay for Space Mountain may be the "justification" for finally overhauling TL. I really, REALLY hope a permanent overlay for SM won't happen because the ride is great as is, but maybe there's something to their claims of a new TL possibly being announced at D23?

I'm leaning towards the FreshBaked theory. It isn't a new TomorrowLand, rather a return to that 70's era of Tomorrow Land was imagined to be (as much as I want something, ANYTHING similar to what TDL is getting).

I'm leaning towards the FreshBaked theory. It isn't a new TomorrowLand, rather a return to that 70's era of Tomorrow Land was imagined to be (as much as I want something, ANYTHING similar to what TDL is getting).
I think I remember in one of his videos that he heard that they would do a total tear-down and rebuild of TL but that was before Covid happened.

I personally don't think they have to go that far, but here's what I would like to see:

-Dump Innoventions and shorten Autopia. Put in Tron.
-Freshen up Space Mountain. Keep it the same, but maybe Tron-ify the asthetic.
-Tear down the old PM track and Rocket Tower and put a new version of People Mover in its place
-New Rocket Jets on top of the tower where it belongs. Get rid of the current one.
-New Dream Works Theater style show in the Magic Eye theater
-Modernize Buzz. I would prefer the Toy Story version of Buzz like Shanghai. I'll tolerate the new version though.

I think I remember in one of his videos that he heard that they would do a total tear-down and rebuild of TL but that was before Covid happened.

I personally don't think they have to go that far, but here's what I would like to see:

-Dump Innoventions and shorten Autopia. Put in Tron.
-Freshen up Space Mountain. Keep it the same, but maybe Tron-ify the asthetic.
-Tear down the old PM track and Rocket Tower and put a new version of People Mover in its place
-New Rocket Jets on top of the tower where it belongs. Get rid of the current one.
-New Dream Works Theater style show in the Magic Eye theater
-Modernize Buzz. I would prefer the Toy Story version of Buzz like Shanghai. I'll tolerate the new version though.
This

Basically all we want is one new ride...and one new show along with them making the area have a real theme and updating current rides
Not asking much considering how much they make off of Genie Plus

I heard the Lightyear rumor before it spread online. I think it's legit if not just because it started development when Chapek was DPRCP president and likely sees this as a pet project.
Interesting. I hope it happens honestly, Space Mountain needs a refresh as does Tomorrowland

I mean Lilo and Stich was a rumor back in the day for a Space Mountain take over

I hope they just make a new SM and but allow it to have themes like Buzz, ghost Galaxy and Star Wars

Shanghai Buzz is theoretically better but needs more targets - personally I think the DL version that feels very lower-brow arcadeish but with better targets and guns than WDW is about the right mix.

Since the SM overlays are better than the core ride, I'd hope they'd leave the queue generic enough to still rotate through them - can't have Buzz Lightyear fighting TIE fighters.

Meanwhile, this is just weird: