New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they would--those are considered some of the best waterparks out there. Like its been said, waterparks arent very attendance-heavy. There comes a point where youre spending too much for too little returns.

I agree with you on this. there is an upper control limit - especially with a water park since they are seasonal. However like it has been said, they are trying to redefine the concept of a water park

Only from all accounts, Universal isn't looking to build a standard water park. Everyone keeps hinting that this will be a gamechanger

All early concept art looks like the finished product will be a game changer. When the budget estimates come in, we'll see if theyre still too good for BB, Aquatica, or Typhoon Lagoon.

Honestly, i'm not sure how well a water park with "real rides" would do anyway. At least i'm not sure it would do much better than without them. People go to water parks to relax, take a few rounds in the lazy river, enjoy the wave pool and the slides. The experience of all that together is exclusive to water parks. Sure, you could throw in a flume ride or a ride like Popeye's, but I can do that stuff at IOA. I personally think money is better spent on theming and making sure that the park has a cohesive theme and is immersive in it's execution.

Honestly, i'm not sure how well a water park with "real rides" would do anyway. At least i'm not sure it would do much better than without them. People go to water parks to relax, take a few rounds in the lazy river, enjoy the wave pool and the slides. The experience of all that together is exclusive to water parks. Sure, you could throw in a flume ride or a ride like Popeye's, but I can do that stuff at IOA. I personally think money is better spent on theming and making sure that the park has a cohesive theme and is immersive in it's execution.
Well with themed rides comes great theming. I agree the rides might me a turn off you have to think this is a water park. They could make Popeye x10 and completely drown people with tons of water that you could never get in IOA. I'm sure universal will find new ways to innovate by making something as simple as a rapids or log flume ride and just make it way more extreme

We have heard rumors that eventually Toon Lagoon will go the way of the dinosaur, so what if they plan this new water/themepark to open in conjunction with Toon Lagoon closing?

I think we could almost call this "the Mythos effect." Sure, you can put a 4-star dining experience in a theme park--but that doesn't mean the majority of guests expect or want that. Sooner or later, you need to dumb down that menu to survive. At the end of the day, a water park is a water park. If it lacks a couple killer slides and a big wave pool, water park fans are going to be disappointed. On the flip side, even a ride like Splash Mountain isn't going to convince people who are averse to water parks to pay a visit, because it still will have the stigma of being in a water park.

At the end of the day, Universal doesn't need a game-changer. It needs a cost-effective way to give a decent but not overwhelming percentage of guests an excuse to stay on the north end of I-Drive an extra day during Summer vacation.

I think we could almost call this "the Mythos effect." Sure, you can put a 4-star dining experience in a theme park--but that doesn't mean the majority of guests expect or want that. Sooner or later, you need to dumb down that menu to survive. At the end of the day, a water park is a water park. If it lacks a couple killer slides and a big wave pool, water park fans are going to be disappointed. On the flip side, even a ride like Splash Mountain isn't going to convince people who are averse to water parks to pay a visit, because it still will have the stigma of being in a water park.

At the end of the day, Universal doesn't need a game-changer. It needs a cost-effective way to give a decent but not overwhelming percentage of guests an excuse to stay on the north end of I-Drive an extra day during Summer vacation.

Well-said. In the quest for market share, you dont generally try to take huge risks like mixing in extremely expensive theme park rides with low-cost, low-attendance water parks.

the thing is I don't think the rides would be THAT high budget. at best popeye standards (great standards) I don't see universal building another diagon alley esk ride and area. No 3D no expensive ride system, just good ol fashioned water rides to go with some interesting water slides. If universal markets this as not your normal water park then shows people on rides and slides its bound to be a hit

I hope they go for grand, ground-breaking and game-changing. Otherwise, what's the point? They already got WnW...

Personally, I have high hopes. Universal has not disappointed with their latest projects, so I hope they pull through with a water park that will be the best of the best.

I hope they go for grand, ground-breaking and game-changing. Otherwise, what's the point? They already got WnW...

Personally, I have high hopes. Universal has not disappointed with their latest projects, so I hope they pull through with a water park that will be the best of the best.

I think after the success with Potter going big has been their motto and have seen the juice is def worth the squeeze with the money spent on the latest additions.

You can do a highly-themed water park that is of a much higher quality than Wet N Wild and worth visiting without straying from the simple formula of slides and pools. Aquatica and the Disney waterparks were game-changers but at their core theyre very simple. Universal itself still isnt Orlando's premier destination. Up until just 4 years ago they were having a hard time getting people to come to their world-class theme parks. A waterpark is going to be a great way to attract locals and encourage people to stay onsite longer, but its still a seasonal attraction that hasnt found the success of regular theme parks (whether it be people dont know how to swim, think the parks are dirty, dont want to get wet, or just because theyre seasonal). Universal can churn out a crazy good waterpark just with basic slides and solid theming. But IMO, the speculation on here is pretty far out-there, because at the end of the day, this will mainly serve as a way to get people to stay on property longer, not to become a standalone destination. I mean, few waterparks are, and when they are, they aren't located in huge tourist meccas.

You can do a highly-themed water park that is of a much higher quality than Wet N Wild and worth visiting without straying from the simple formula of slides and pools. Aquatica and the Disney waterparks were game-changers but at their core theyre very simple. Universal itself still isnt Orlando's premier destination. Up until just 4 years ago they were having a hard time getting people to come to their world-class theme parks. A waterpark is going to be a great way to attract locals and encourage people to stay onsite longer, but its still a seasonal attraction that hasnt found the success of regular theme parks (whether it be people dont know how to swim, think the parks are dirty, dont want to get wet, or just because theyre seasonal). Universal can churn out a crazy good waterpark just with basic slides and solid theming. But IMO, the speculation on here is pretty far out-there, because at the end of the day, this will mainly serve as a way to get people to stay on property longer, not to become a standalone destination. I mean, few waterparks are, and when they are, they aren't located in huge tourist meccas.

I do understand that. I just want them to put out something that will top Disney's and SeaWorld's water parks and become a destination.

I also know we may not get what I'm expecting, but we can dream and Universal has the capacity to accomplish it. Obviously at the core of everything and the bottom line is that it needs to make business sense, which is why I brought up IPs in previous posts. As much as we all love original content and creations, the IPs are a huge selling point, so having a few key IPs to sell it, and mix in original stuff, and both used in rides and experiences never before seen in a typical water park... what could be better than that? :thumbs:

WnW is the worst water park in the central florida area, even extending out to tampa to include Adventure Island. As has been said, a highly themed water park of much higher quality is possible without taking huge risks that could potentially cost them a lot of money.

Anyone else still think we aren't getting a water park but a park themed to water (i.e. DisneySea??)....maybe I need to dream smaller

While waterparks don't attract as many people as theme parks, the 2 million plus people each of the Disney waterparks bring in is VERY good and not to scoff at. You do realize most amusement parks around the US bring in 2 million or less guests each year. If Uni spends $200-300 million on a highly themed Waterpark, they'll get something awesome and a fantastic return on investment...guaranteed.

While waterparks don't attract as many people as theme parks, the 2 million plus people each of the Disney waterparks bring in is VERY good and not to scoff at. You do realize most amusement parks around the US bring in 2 million or less guests each year. If Uni spends $200-300 million on a highly themed Waterpark, they'll get something awesome and a fantastic return on investment...guaranteed.

Most amusement parks =/= what people are talking about here. Youre thinking of an amusement park with no theming and a few midsized roller coasters in the middle of a field somewhere. 2 million is a small number for a theme park of Universal's status...they can not make an IOA-quality water park and expect any return on investment. It can be intricately themed and incredibly immersive, but itll still be slides and wave pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.