Official Soccer Thread | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Official Soccer Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
UEFA is not to be trifled with.

100 million fine, + 5% of revenue for a year? For a teams like City, that’s a lot of cash.

UEFA is not to be trifled with.

100 million fine, + 5% of revenue for a year? For a teams like City, that’s a lot of cash.

5% of revenue from UEFA competitions, so likely somewhere in the neighborhood of €5M for them. Couch cushion change tbf.

Or in Arsenal’s case, €0... so might as well hop back into the Super League.

So... David Beckham’s team is in a bit of hot water...

The team had FIVE players with underreported salaries.

• The Inter Miami CF organization is fined $2 million. _
  • Inter Miami’s allocation dollars for 2022 and 2023 were reduced by $2,271,250. _
  • Former Inter Miami CF Chief Operating Officer and Sporting Director Paul McDonough is suspended from any MLS-related activity for the remainder of the 2021 MLS season and through the entire 2022 season, effective immediately.
  • Managing Owner Jorge Mas is fined $250,000.

So many things have changed in professional sports now. Even football has become less spectacular, and football players have stopped working off the money invested in them by football clubs. However, I am glad that young talented guys are still trying to change this situation. Australians have been playing cool lately. I recently found a website AFL Trade Rumours - Forum where young football players from Australia were discussed, and I decided to watch how these guys behave on the football field. Now I understand how I want real football to look now.

Last edited:
Like, to a degree, I get it. The dominance of Liverpool and ManCity the last three-ish seasons has made Premiere League a tad less compelling. The handful of generational talents (Messi, Ronaldo) that are still playing all feel past their prime and no one seems to be taking the world by storm in their stead.

Nature of the game though.

Seattle is the first MLS team to ever qualify cor the Club World Cup, so that’s exciting.

Back in the day....1942...The Gallatin ( Pa.) Tigers, who played on my club's (Mon Valley United Mad Dogs) home field in Sunnyside Park Gallatin won the US Open Cup. They were the first amateur team (comprised mostly of local coal mine workers. )to win the Cup
They traveled to Chicago and Providence and beat those pro teams. It was a home and away series against Providence and the game was played in Donora's HS Legion Field in front of a crowd of 10,000. Amazing crowd for 40's soccer. More attendance than the Steelers were pulling back then.
One of the Tiger players, Pasquarella, was the last surviving member. So we honored him with a special ceremony in 1999. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette covered the match. I had both teams line up before the game started, and after the ceremony
we all signed the game ball. He was 81 yrs. old but I put him on my roster and let him take the opening center kick. We all wore retro 1942 shirts for the game. His house was across from the train tracks where we played and he'd watch our
games from his porch. He told his sons that the signed game ball was his most prized possession. Just amazing that a team from a small coal patch village was able to win the country's most prestigious trophy. Western Pa., with all of their ethnic
immigrant groups, was a hot bed of soccer back then. A team from Heidelberg (another coal patch) won two subsequent Cups. Two years ago we combined my team with Heidelberg's in the Pa. Adult League as a remembrance of those past glories.

Reactions: Legacy
And Lionel Messi has stated he is taking his talents to South Beach Fort Lauderdale, expressing his intent to join Inter Miami this summer.

Huge, huge get for soccer in America in advance of 2024 but, as an Orlando fan, pretty annoying.

Reactions: Brian G.
And Lionel Messi has stated he is taking his talents to South Beach Fort Lauderdale, expressing his intent to join Inter Miami this summer.

Huge, huge get for soccer in America in advance of 2024 but, as an Orlando fan, pretty annoying.
great news for season ticket holders across the league who want to recoup the cost of their season tickets in one night!

I paid ... too much ... for gareth bale's first home game in an LAFC shirt, but it was a blast. and I say that as a San Jose fan.

Meanwhile us Miami fans…
Happy Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes

Reactions: Jake S
Meanwhile us Miami fans…
Happy Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes
Oh… I’m sure.

It’ll be interesting to watch, for sure. Several “best players ever” came to MLS and bombed out for various reasons. Despite Messi very much being a cheat code to an extent, the current Inter Miami team build is… deficient in the defensive third to say the least. Messi will have to carry this entire team, week in and week out.

Reactions: Jake S and Brian G.
just to put what I was talking about earlier into context:

For context, a single ticket for Game 3 of the NBA Finals in Miami is cheaper at the time of writing ($333) than witnessing Messi’s potential debut ($373), with tickets only currently available on StubHub’s resale market.