Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

"Old School" Universal Orlando

I don't know if anyof you would agree with me, but I really feel Today's Universal with its empty buildings and so on just feels like the whole park is missing alot like its Bob's Fun Park or something. I think if they could run the park today like they did back then it would be a whole different park now.

I totally get what you're saying. Although a lot of the rides are fun, it lacks the heart that it used to have.

Universal has gone into a problem of jumping on anything hip and synergy.

If you think about it, seeing this is pretty easy.

It really started around the time of Shrek. Shrek was huge and everyone knew a sequel would be made by 2001. So Universal. So Universal Jumped on his and had an attraction open by 2002. Same story with Jimmy Neutron had its big movie release and a toon spin off was in the works so Univeral jumped with what little legal connectios they had with Nick and created that.

Now Hannah Barberra can be argued to have run its course but you replace Alfred Hitchcock whose movies are still raved about and inspire to this day? He has a legacy. Shrek is not even 9 years old and is already played out. The attraction is just a run of the mill 4D show as far as the theater goes. Nothing outstanding to go on about.

Then shortly before this you lose the actual Studios Tour out of the park and any post production concept show and Soundstage 54 showcases of upcoming movie props became more and more rare. Kongfrontation eventally for The Mummy. Great thrill ride with dark ride elements but nothing close to being as iconic as King Kong. You say King Kong anywhere in the world and no matter what version people know the classic beast and story. The Mummy is very reliant on the modern remake. (which the series killed itself with bad spin offs and sequels) Timeless for thrill was the trade there.

Wild Western themed stunt show for a short lived reality show. Need I say more?

There is less movie making charm and compeling blockbuster experiences than ever before. Some great recent hits have been made into decent attractions. But nothing large dark ride or groundbreaking in the studios for attractions or shows. Just refurbs.

Simpsons movie was announced in the works and Universal finished the deal for the ride.
Earthquake was not known to commom audiences anymore so they try and make it a movie making theme with a generic movie genere. This is actually one of the better moves. It still has the classic ride charm.

Besides Disaster which even then was a redesign of what they had and in some cases toned down, it was the same main attraction.

Three oldest properties in the park are Jaws, ET and T2. So the oldest attraction is based on a big hit from the mid 70s? (I would include Beetlejuice and Horror make up but those are more past meeting the present and not based off their property, just feature characters)So we have the oldest being Jaws based off the 70s. That is pretty darn recent considering that the world of cinema has been around a long longer. We know longer have anything representing the classic westerns, the stunts of hollywood or classic suspense.

Not even a studio tour of any sort.

Fact: There were more attractions at Universal Studios in 1996 than there are today. Something to think about.

Last edited:
[/COLOR]
Yes, but Universal now has City Walk and Islands of Adventure... you seem to forgot to mention that...

No I didn't. Those are completely irrelevant to what makes that one park inside the gates. Better as an entire resort but the studios is what has lost a lot of its charm. They were underway with City Walk and IOA durring the year of 96. And it had more attractions there then than they do now. Its not what they added, its what they chose to replace things with inside the park. after those opening years. We are talking starting around 2001 after MIB was added. Things went for what is hip over what is timeless and or memorable in cinema.

I respect what you're saying Splatter but I think all the newer rides we have now are exceptionally great attractions.

Just noting here that I grew up with this decade's Universal Orlando.

-Jimmy Neutron and Shrek are really good attractions for kids. Most of us would love if one of them or both were removed for a big project...but they don't bother me.
-Twister is a good ride for what it is.
-ROTM isn't classic like Kong was, I agree with you on that. BUT, ROTM is very fun and when everything is working...this ride is amazing.
-Disaster is a classic.
-Jaws is classic, should never be removed.
-MIB is a different, but fun experience. The movie is a modern classic and this ride really has that MIB feel.
-The Simpsons is a good motion sim,but is not as good as BTTF was. I still miss it.
-T2 is classic, but wouldn't mind if they took it down to make a crazy dark ride. It could still be based on the first 2 movies.

I respect what you're saying Splatter but I think all the newer rides we have now are exceptionally great attractions.

Just noting here that I grew up with this decade's Universal Orlando.

-Jimmy Neutron and Shrek are really good attractions for kids. Most of us would love if one of them or both were removed for a big project...but they don't bother me.
-Twister is a good ride for what it is.
-ROTM isn't classic like Kong was, I agree with you on that. BUT, ROTM is very fun and when everything is working...this ride is amazing.
-Disaster is a classic.
-Jaws is classic, should never be removed.
-MIB is a different, but fun experience. The movie is a modern classic and this ride really has that MIB feel.
-The Simpsons is a good motion sim,but is not as good as BTTF was. I still miss it.
-T2 is classic, but wouldn't mind if they took it down to make a crazy dark ride. It could still be based on the first 2 movies.

Thanks for taking notice on the things I said. Ha. Appreciate the respect. It is not that I think the attractions we have these days at the studios are awful...except for Rockit. Most of Universal's attractions are still top knotch. It is just as others have noted a lot of them are missing that classic charm and heart that the studios started with.

Mummy is way better ride then Kong, In this modern age Kong is no Pirates of the Carri bean. I mean it was the dullest ride of all time.

Simpsons will go the Way of BTTF the ride is rough and causes amazing Motion Sickness. Back to the Future was replaced because it got older not better.

They lost charm but when you change as much as they have you will.

Splatter -- I think you're right on with a lot of points. It's almost like if you didn't know the history of Universal Studios (the park), you would hardly make the connection that the park is supposed to be a working studio lot -- or even a replication of one. I do think they've lost touch by way of giving in to recent pop attractions.

There are several attractions that aren't even directly tied to Universal Pictures, but are rather licensed properties :

- Shrek is DreamWorks Animation, who were once parented by Universal, but have since been passed to Paramount - at which it remains, while DreamWorks SKG (parent of DreamWorks Animation) is now a Disney property.

- Twister was a Warner Bros. production and a Warner Bros. release -- only tied to Universal in that Spielberg was an Executive Producer and was at that time working in-house with Universal. (Which is no longer the case, as he's now partnered with Disney along with his DreamWorks).

- Beetle Juice is another Warner Bros. release, with no association to Universal.

- Men In Black is a joint production/release of Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures (and Sony owns Columbia). Again, no Universal ties other than Spielberg's Producer status.

- The Simpsons is Twentieth Century Fox, no matter how you slice it. Pure licensing.

- Terminator 2 is a TriStar release.

- Rockit has no basis in anything other than a generic theme of "music video production".

- Jimmy Neutron is essentially left-over licensing with Nickelodeon.

So that leaves this list as authentic Universal properties, aside from "official licensing" :

- The Mummy

- Jaws

- E.T.

There is definitely something to be said about the fact that Universal is sourcing out their legacy here. They have plenty to work with in Universal's library...... why water it down with all of these licensed brands, of which most don't even have iconic status at all?

Splatter -- I think you're right on with a lot of points. It's almost like if you didn't know the history of Universal Studios (the park), you would hardly make the connection that the park is supposed to be a working studio lot -- or even a replication of one. I do think they've lost touch by way of giving in to recent pop attractions.

There are several attractions that aren't even directly tied to Universal Pictures, but are rather licensed properties :

- Shrek is DreamWorks Animation, who were once parented by Universal, but have since been passed to Paramount - at which it remains, while DreamWorks SKG (parent of DreamWorks Animation) is now a Disney property.

- Twister was a Warner Bros. production and a Warner Bros. release -- only tied to Universal in that Spielberg was an Executive Producer and was at that time working in-house with Universal. (Which is no longer the case, as he's now partnered with Disney along with his DreamWorks).

- Beetle Juice is another Warner Bros. release, with no association to Universal.

- Men In Black is a joint production/release of Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures (and Sony owns Columbia). Again, no Universal ties other than Spielberg's Producer status.

- The Simpsons is Twentieth Century Fox, no matter how you slice it. Pure licensing.

- Terminator 2 is a TriStar release.

- Rockit has no basis in anything other than a generic theme of "music video production".

- Jimmy Neutron is essentially left-over licensing with Nickelodeon.

So that leaves this list as authentic Universal properties, aside from "official licensing" :

- The Mummy

- Jaws

- E.T.

There is definitely something to be said about the fact that Universal is sourcing out their legacy here. They have plenty to work with in Universal's library...... why water it down with all of these licensed brands, of which most don't even have iconic status at all?

You make some good points there, Rewster. While I love Shrek with all my heart, if it must make way for something exciting to most people (but not to me), then so be it, I can't control what Universal would want to do. But, I'd rather see them axe Neutron first than get rid of Shrek.

I've found this old pic of this big HRC sign inside the park, near animals actors I think, indicating that the HRC was back there

usfkidzone005.jpg

I think this pic was taken after the old HRC was closed

usfkidzone006.jpg

.​

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Question: What was Swamp Thing??? :confused:

Swamp thing was a TV series taped at USF based on a Marvel comics character. There was a house built on a swamp area were they filmed the exterior scenes. It was located near where MB now sits. At one of the stages they had all the interior scenes. There was a tour where they guided guests thru and explaining every single scene.

Here is a video:

Swamp Thing Intro

Another of the interesting TV series filmed at the studios was

SUPERBOY

[/COLOR]

No I didn't. Those are completely irrelevant to what makes that one park inside the gates. Better as an entire resort but the studios is what has lost a lot of its charm. They were underway with City Walk and IOA durring the year of 96. And it had more attractions there then than they do now. Its not what they added, its what they chose to replace things with inside the park. after those opening years. We are talking starting around 2001 after MIB was added. Things went for what is hip over what is timeless and or memorable in cinema.

Yes, you did. You did not mention them at all.

However, I did not know you were only talking about Universal Studios alone; I thought you were talking about the entire resort as a whole, so the fault is mine. :thumbs:

- The Mummy

- Jaws

- E.T.

That's Hollywood's fault. universal needs to just make better movies :lol:

I do see you point, though. But Universal is more of a "RIGHT NOW" kind of place, while Disney is aloud to have extremely out dated rides because they are "classics"

and because it's just Disney. They'll always be popular.

But yeah.... in like 10 to 15 years... Universal is going to have to haul some serious @$$ and update. (Not Harry Potter. The books alone make it an instant classic.)

WDW itself has not changed a whole lot since opening. They have retooled some of the rides and removed a few but nothing like Universal has done. Universal has changed a lot more in 20 years then WDW in it's almost 40 years.

But Universal has also been bought and sold a few times also and they want to be a hip park. They are a cross between Disney and Six Flags.

Universal is no where close to Six Flags. Universal is not Disney but it's a good competitor to Disney especially after Harry Potter opens.

Uhm Universal Will Never Compete in the league of Disney even when Harry Potter Opens. Harry Potter will be 1 new ride and a village, nothing new and really spectacular it is smoke and mirrors. They are retooling the Lost Continent to a new Land.

ok, maybe not Six Flags maybe more like Cedar fair, six flags is a true insult.

You're comparing Universal to Cedar Fair?! Six Flags actually tries with theming unlike Cedars Fair.

I regularly go to Great Adventure and the Golden Kingdom is pretty well themed.

WWOHP will be more detailed than most things Disney has. It will put pressure on the mouse.

I regularly go to Great Adventure and the Golden Kingdom is pretty well themed.

WWOHP will be more detailed than most things Disney has. It will put pressure on the mouse.

I thought it was too, but in reality it's just awesome for what it is. That entire park has turned into an absolute joke. Last time I went about 2 years ago, there were ads plastered everywhere, everything about it has gone commercial and none of the money they are making goes to better the park. It's dirty, run down, and has absolutely no theming, minus Golden Kingdom.

As far as putting pressure on Disney, they aren't scared at all. Potter may bring people from all over the country and internationally, but I'd say 3/4 of the people visiting from out of state are going to go to Disney while in Orlando, thus they are making more money out of it.

WWOHP will not even put a dent in Animal Kingdom's Cash Registers. I am just hoping this amazing new ride that Harry Potter is going to have lives up to the hype, unlike a certain Roller Coaster that was hyped to be the next ride to drive the crowds to Universal.

Dinsey being owned and controlled by the same company for it's entire time help's it. Universal change of ownership has helped it none so far. Maybe The Busch Family should buy it, they ran Sea World and it got more guest the USF.