Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 113 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how about a shirt that says "we're watching you!" ..or would that be too creepy? Or maybe "I am nothing but a number"

You do know Disney plans on opening Avatarland in phases...just like the Fantasyland Expansion.who knows how long it'll take for the entire land to be finished.

im not sure if thats entirely accurate...i think the phases may be Nighttime show, then Nighttime safari, then avatar

and yes i read Robert Niles article...but jason garcia mentioned the phases differently in his piece this week

"Disney has so far disclosed only a few details about its Animal Kingdom work. Additions will include an evening show combining live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery, along with a revamped, nighttime version of its Kilimanjaro Safaris ride. The "Avatar" land, which will be the final phase and will open sometime in 2017, will feature floating mountains, lush jungle scenery and a ride meant to evoke riding a "banshee," a birdlike predator featured in the film."

i could be wrong

Last edited:
im not sure if thats entirely accurate...i think the phases may be Nighttime show, then Nighttime safari, then avatar

and yes i read Robert Niles article...but jason garcia mentioned the phases differently in his piece this week

"Disney has so far disclosed only a few details about its Animal Kingdom work. Additions will include an evening show combining live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery, along with a revamped, nighttime version of its Kilimanjaro Safaris ride. The "Avatar" land, which will be the final phase and will open sometime in 2017, will feature floating mountains, lush jungle scenery and a ride meant to evoke riding a "banshee," a birdlike predator featured in the film."

i could be wrong

I saw on a Disney published video it was confirmed to be opening in phases. Who knows what will come in the first phase, how little or how much

We were always expecting Avatar in 2017, so it's nice that they might get the night time stuff online earlier (2016 perhaps?). In this case "phases" is ok when it's really just a sequence of unrelated projects with the unifying goal of making the park better. I think they've learned that half a land in "phases" does not work so well.

Essentially New Fantasy Land compared to HKDL expansion. Technically the HKDL rollout was an extra six months, but no one complained as the three projects (lands) were distinct.

If Starwars continues to come down the pipeline for Hollywood Studios, like its supposed to, I'd actually be a pretty happy camper. If some EPCOT projects also happen between now and the end of the decade I'd actually be very impressed with WDW.

So, what rides is Avatar Land getting anyways? Is it getting some sort of raft ride, as seen in the concept art?
Think the land pavilion. A boat ride similar to Living with the Land (obviously Avatar themed) and a Banshee-flying ride that is similar in concept to Soarin', but is supposed to have a lot more movement and all-in-all blow Soarin out of the water. There's also said to be some sort of walkthrough attraction, but not sure if that's happening or not.

I'd also expect a sit down restaurant (or at least counter service) to be built along with this. Possibly a Counter/Sit down combo like BOG? There hasn't been much said about a restaurant yet, but i'd be surprised if a sit down doesn't get built.

Think the land pavilion. A boat ride similar to Living with the Land (obviously Avatar themed) and a Banshee-flying ride that is similar in concept to Soarin', but is supposed to have a lot more movement and all-in-all blow Soarin out of the water. There's also said to be some sort of walkthrough attraction, but not sure if that's happening or not.

I'd also expect a sit down restaurant (or at least counter service) to be built along with this. Possibly a Counter/Sit down combo like BOG? There hasn't been much said about a restaurant yet, but i'd be surprised if a sit down doesn't get built.
I don't believe that it is a walk thru and a boat ride. There was discussion of whether it was going to be a walk thru OR a boat ride. When the cycle coaster was cut from the budget they decided to plus the walk thru/boat ride to a full blown boat ride attraction.

The boat ride is the one I'm most excited about. Disney knows how to do family dark rides and its the one area where Universal lacks, in my opinion.

I think part of the military compound was visible in the Tokyo D23 video showing the model. My guess would be a mess hall for counter service.

I'm kind of hopeful they'll do a sit down that's more "tribal-Pandora" themed. Ignore the fact that the food would kill humans and make some really interesting alien cuisine. Basically just a creative licence to run with some interesting food trends or fusion dishes.

I too am quite excited for the boat ride. Sucker for classic dark rides I guess.

So it looks like the movie release schedule will be 2016, 2017,and 2018. Why we need three more movies is a bit beyond me, but I guess JC thinks he has a lot of story left to tell.

So it looks like the movie release schedule will be 2016, 2017,and 2018. Why we need three more movies is a bit beyond me, but I guess JC thinks he has a lot of story left to tell.

I call it now the sequel will be commercially successful but leave a sour taste in everyones mouth. The third will flop horribly and the fourth will barely make it in the cinemas.

I think the land will look amazing, don't get me wrong but I just have little to no interest in it due to the source material. Just wish Disney invested in something else.

I call it now the sequel will be commercially successful but leave a sour taste in everyones mouth. The third will flop horribly and the fourth will barely make it in the cinemas.

I think the land will look amazing, don't get me wrong but I just have little to no interest in it due to the source material. Just wish Disney invested in something else.

Yeah. This second movie had better be really good, otherwise the rest of the trilogy is in jeopardy. I think the films will do good, just not those insane avatar 1 numbers. But who knows

I think part of the problem is that they waited way too long to release a sequel, by 2016 avatar will feel even more out dated then it does already.

Yeah. This second movie had better be really good, otherwise the rest of the trilogy is in jeopardy. I think the films will do good, just not those insane avatar 1 numbers. But who knows

I think part of the problem is that they waited way too long to release a sequel, by 2016 avatar will feel even more out dated then it does already.

I really enjoyed Avatar when it came out but now I can't really stand to watch it. I guess it was the first 3D movie which really was worth seeing in 3D. The film is beautiful to look at, but I just can't see how it can last 3 more films. :faint:

Avatar didn't pull numbers because it was a great movie, it did so because it made itself an event. As great a filmmaker James Cameron he is, he's even better at marketing (or at least has a team who's great at it). No matter how terrible the sequels are, I'd bet they all do extremely well at the box office because they'll be marketed as event movies again. Look at the Transformers movies--everyone knows those will always be stupid, and yet they continue to make millions; $1,123,746,996 worth of people didn't go into the third Transformers movie hoping it would be better than the terrible Revenge of the Fallen, they did it because clever marketing and good buzz made it seem like watching it was THE thing to do over summer. James Cameron will pull the same deal, and has a leg up on other similar "event" movies because he can sell his crazy 3-D technology; even if people hate Avatar (like myself), they'll go to see the latest and greatest film technology on the big screen where Fox will tell you it just HAS to be seen. If Cameron's smart, he'll make these next sequels share a story arc as well, so you'll have to see all three to "complete" the story. He knows what he's doing, and I'd be very surprised if the first flop James Cameron makes is the sequel to the highest-grossing film of all time.

haha this may have been the worse movie that's ever made 2.8 billion and was nominated for 9 acad. awards....cars 2 was bad and didn't affect cars land at all.....the biggest problem I have with avatarland is wondering how im going to deal with all the mobs of people at night at DAK...800 million is a lot of jack for a theme park....

I have read Cameron is going to take the viewers in his next movie(s) to the underwater world of Pandora. Not sure if the boat ride is getting some of that incorporated but I'm almost sure.

For his next Avatar movies being a flop, I'm not sure. merchandise wise and fan wise the first movie didn't do much. On conventions you are hard pressed to find a Na'vi or one of the human characters portrayed. Collectables are dead for that franchise.
What I'm more thinking about is the fact Disney is trying to grab the number 1 position of the summer and Christmas blockbuster top movies with a slew of Marvel and Star Wars (spin off) movies over the same period. Those franchises are (at the moment) much bigger then Avatar will probably ever be and are in straight competition for the movie goers cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.