Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no one really talks about this anymore. As one of my FB friends said, she never sees Avatar shirts, but sees Star Wars shirts at least 5 times a day. I had commented that Disney would have been better off spending money on a Star Wars land in DHS.

I love DAK, and when I was there in November, I was not ready to leave after spending the whole day there. I never even got to EE, and would have loved to have wandered around the animal exhibits more. Then again, I do LOVE animals.

Only 6 more years!

Probably 7 haha

- - - Updated - - -

No, no one really talks about this anymore. As one of my FB friends said, she never sees Avatar shirts, but sees Star Wars shirts at least 5 times a day. I had commented that Disney would have been better off spending money on a Star Wars land in DHS.

I love DAK, and when I was there in November, I was not ready to leave after spending the whole day there. I never even got to EE, and would have loved to have wandered around the animal exhibits more. Then again, I do LOVE animals.

I couldn't agree more. If Disney was as smart as their supposed to be, they would milk the crap out of Star Wars theme park opportunities. The Star Wars brand is so popular and recognizable they could probably even get away with adding SW lands in more than just one park.

DAK needed a big ticket draw to get more people to spend more time and more money there. Avatar was as good a choice as any, honestly. However, the thing that grabs me the most is that they're putting a LOT of faith in Avatar 2 and 3 being good movies ('cause at this rate, we'll have those released in blu-ray as a combo pack by the time phase one is ready to open), 'cause it seems like a huge mistake to me. If Avatar was a standalone movie, maybe, but.. seems like you're kinda putting down all your chips on something and hoping it pays off. Only problem is that when Universal did that with Harry Potter, they knew it was going to pay off. Avatar? Eh. Seems kinda risky to me.

Someone mentioned this over on MAGIC and I thought it was pretty interesting. WDW's FB page was blowing up with negative comments yesterday after they posted about the ground-breaking. Over 1200 comments on the post, 24,600 likes (on a post asking for likes) and 1800+ shares. Meanwhile on the Avatar FB page, the same post got a little less than 1000 comments, 67000 Likes and 3700 shares. While the WDW comments were probably close to 75% negative, the Avatar comments were overwhelmingly positive with it hard to find a negative comment in the mix at times.

Now I know i'm reading a lot into FB comments. However, as was also mentioned on Magic as well, the people commenting on the WDW page are those who will go again anyway. The people on the Avatar FB Page is a potentially new audience however. Disney wants that new audience to draw in that may have never been or hasn't been in a long while. There's a lot of money to be had there. They also needs to get ahead of these people and control the message. A lot of the comments seemed like they were confused and thought FotLK was being removed and even some that thought the Tree of Life was being removed.

https://www.facebook.com/WaltDisneyWorld
https://www.facebook.com/Avatar

Someone mentioned this over on MAGIC and I thought it was pretty interesting. WDW's FB page was blowing up with negative comments yesterday after they posted about the ground-breaking. Over 1200 comments on the post, 24,600 likes (on a post asking for likes) and 1800+ shares. Meanwhile on the Avatar FB page, the same post got a little less than 1000 comments, 67000 Likes and 3700 shares. While the WDW comments were probably close to 75% negative, the Avatar comments were overwhelmingly positive with it hard to find a negative comment in the mix at times.

Now I know i'm reading a lot into FB comments. However, as was also mentioned on Magic as well, the people commenting on the WDW page are those who will go again anyway. The people on the Avatar FB Page is a potentially new audience however. Disney wants that new audience to draw in that may have never been or hasn't been in a long while. There's a lot of money to be had there. They also needs to get ahead of these people and control the message. A lot of the comments seemed like they were confused and thought FotLK was being removed and even some that thought the Tree of Life was being removed.

https://www.facebook.com/WaltDisneyWorld
https://www.facebook.com/Avatar

all great points.....you could also add the 38000 likes on the parks blog page as well (no other blog is remotely close, unless you go back to the avatar blog on Oct 12)....

I mentioned this on magic that I think the fact that this is a overhaul to DAK is being undersold by the Disney fans..theres a lot more to this than just Pandora...Jason Garcia mentioned 800 million in his article yesterday

your last comment about people mad about FOTLK being closed is probably why the big wigs don't pay much attention to these lol

Last edited:
This will be a failure merchwise. The Navi are ugly, and I just don't see how anyone would be caught dead with a Tshirt with a giant ugly smurf on the front of it. This is definitely an interesting gamble. Has a release date for Avatar 2 even been announced yet? I feel like by the time it comes out most people won't even care about the Navi anymore.

I don't know...I never thought people would actually buy Magic Bands shirts but they are. These Disney fans will buy any piece of crap if it's from Disney. Tell them it's a limited edition and they'll buy it twice as fast (even if that limit is as many as they can possibly make).

They have Magic Band t-shirts? LOL.
They have a whole line of crap to go along with magic bands. Here are the shirts:

IMG_6698.jpg

walt-disney-world-magicbands-tshirts-rock-the-band.jpg

They also have things called "CoverBands" "MagicSliders" and "MagicBandits" which all go on the band in one way or another to customize it. Most of them look stupid and are definitely over priced.

Oh my, those are just awful. Especially the "rock the band" shirt that's meant to look like a skull and crossbones. Yuck.

They should have taken a page from Universal and put Star Wars based lands and attractions in both Animal Kingdom and Disney Studios. Duh!!!!

They sure do:

dbgjsd02.jpg

walt-disney-world-magicbands-tshirts-display.jpg

this is why i dont worry about merchandise..disney fans buy stuff just to buy stuff...plus why would i care about merchandising...what am i gonna say...the rides are great the themeing is incrdible but they didnt have the shot glass i wanted? people will buy t shirts and glow in the dark stuff whatever

interesting article by Jason Garcia saying this will cost 800 million for total makeover which i ve mentioned is getting underplayed on theme park boards..this is not just about avatar

That merch is horrendous!! As for the 800 Million I posed the same question about what would be included in that budget. All I have heard so far is the new Night Show and Avatar for the entire 800 Million. If thats the case consider me very interested!!! Just need some new stuff elsewhere at the WDW to hold me over for 4 years.

That merch is horrendous!! As for the 800 Million I posed the same question about what would be included in that budget. All I have heard so far is the new Night Show and Avatar for the entire 800 Million. If thats the case consider me very interested!!! Just need some new stuff elsewhere at the WDW to hold me over for 4 years.
Im assuming this 800 million includes the moving of the FOTLK and the new nighttime safari (whatever that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.