Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we were talking about Avatar?

And thanks to him, Avatarland could very well revolutionize the theme park industry when it opens in 5 years. Unless WWOHP already did that and it's impossible to revolutionize it twice.. lol

We can't pat Cameron on the back already. Not saying you are a Cameron apologist, but this is exactly what is wrong with Cameron apologists. They have made up their minds already about his films and/or projects before ever getting a look at them. We haven't seen a shred of concept art let alone heard Cameron's plan when it comes to 'Avatarland', yet we're already leaning toward the idea that he will single-handedly start a revolution in the theme park industry.

I thought we were talking about Avatar?

We can't pat Cameron on the back already. Not saying you are a Cameron apologist, but this is exactly what is wrong with Cameron apologists. They have made up their minds already about his films and/or projects before ever getting a look at them. We haven't seen a shred of concept art let alone heard Cameron's plan when it comes to 'Avatarland', yet we're already leaning toward the idea that he will single-handedly start a revolution in the theme park industry.

Sorry, I assisted in taking the thread off topic but I just get really irritable when bias fanboys troll on threads. You're right, this thread is about Avatarland, not trashing it by drawing comparisons to WWOHP.

Maybe Mr. Cameron is trying to figure out how he can keep people from comparing his destroying and killing of one land so a more profitable land can be built, to the Avatar movie? :rofl: Could money and revolutionizing of the industry be compared to Unobtanium? Could his "egomaniac" and "self-congratulations" type of personality be compared to the corporation in the movie? Could the excited fans be compared to the users of Unobtanium? :peace:

He he hee. Sorry, but I think its funny.

Reactions: BJCool
Maybe Mr. Cameron is trying to figure out how he can keep people from comparing his destroying and killing of one land so a more profitable land can be built, to the Avatar movie? :rofl: Could money and revolutionizing of the industry be compared to Unobtanium? Could his "egomaniac" and "self-congratulations" type of personality be compared to the corporation in the movie? Could the excited fans be compared to the users of Unobtanium? :peace:

He he hee. Sorry, but I think its funny.

wtf-lost.jpg

Sorry, I assisted in taking the thread off topic but I just get really irritable when bias fanboys troll on threads. You're right, this thread is about Avatarland, not trashing it by drawing comparisons to WWOHP.

Frankly, I'm not biased by any means in this situation. Wizarding World turned heads and has sparked a demand for completely super-immersive franchise lands. I'm not a detractor of Avatarland - dunno if it'll be the best thing ever, or a disappointment, or a miscarriage as some here are speculating. I'm excited - but let's wait and see some concept art and specific attraction announcements (plus construction) before we start the glowing praise/unwarranted hate.

Frankly, I'm not biased by any means in this situation. Wizarding World turned heads and has sparked a demand for completely super-immersive franchise lands. I'm not a detractor of Avatarland - dunno if it'll be the best thing ever, or a disappointment, or a miscarriage as some here are speculating. I'm excited - but let's wait and see some concept art and specific attraction announcements (plus construction) before we start the glowing praise/unwarranted hate.

Well I was neither praising nor hating on WWOHP and Pandora, I was only arguing that I felt "revolutionary" was a bit too heavy a term.

I just meant as in how it was his film/concept/world so it is thanks to him, same way we can thank J.K. plenty for WWOHP as well.

Guys, this whole argument is completely pointless. THERE IS NOTHING TO TELL US ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PARK! It could revolutionize the Theme Park industry, or it could bomb. WE DON'T KNOW YET!!!!!!!!

Guys, this whole argument is completely pointless. THERE IS NOTHING TO TELL US ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PARK! It could revolutionize the Theme Park industry, or it could bomb. WE DON'T KNOW YET!!!!!!!!

I think the argument fizzled out a few comments ago. We've all agreed to move on, I think.

Interesting tidbit here, Disney was originally trying to produce Avatar (Dick Cook, specifically), until Fox optioned their right to produce pretty much just to stick it to Disney.

Also, as far as I can tell, Cameron has never put a dime of his own money into his productions (except his documentaries). Although he did take a pay cut on Titanic (only after the film's budget grew well-over $200 million, and he was facing a cut to his budget). He did not co-finance the $300 million Avatar or it's $150 million marketing budget. His pockets are indeed deep, but I seriously doubt he's putting any money into this project. Given Cameron and WDI's inability to keep to a budget, I'm very interested in how this will turn out.

Cameron's not gonna shell out any of his own money. :lol: He'll only stand to make much, much more.

Given Cameron and WDI's inability to keep to a budget, I'm very interested in how this will turn out.

Oh god, that's a good point. Disney has been allowing larger budgets of late (luckily), but Pandora is definitely going to need a large chunk of change to be brought to earth. The current number for this project is $500 million, correct? Does anyone have estimates for WWoHP and New Fantasyland (or just any uni and WDI costs you happen to know)? How curious as to how they all compare.

Oh god, that's a good point. Disney has been allowing larger budgets of late (luckily), but Pandora is definitely going to need a large chunk of change to be brought to earth. The current number for this project is $500 million, correct? Does anyone have estimates for WWoHP and New Fantasyland (or just any uni and WDI costs you happen to know)? How curious as to how they all compare.

Technically, there is not a firm budget for this (because they don't know what they are going to do yet). Reports have been flying since the announcement, but $500 mil is within the ballpark. The problem is not the budget (with is large) but keeping the budget. RSS was supposed to cost around $200 mil, but Skip has said that the actual total will end up around $400 mil. A collaboration between two entities that are completely unable to stay even remotely within a budget.

Technically, there is not a firm budget for this (because they don't know what they are going to do yet). Reports have been flying since the announcement, but $500 mil is within the ballpark. The problem is not the budget (with is large) but keeping the budget. RSS was supposed to cost around $200 mil, but Skip has said that the actual total will end up around $400 mil. A collaboration between two entities that are completely unable to stay even remotely within a budget.

Yup. This thing is probably going to cost a mindblowing amount of money, most likely for one big ride and a few flat rides ala Carsland.

And even then...the whispers I'm hearing about the big ride just don't sound interesting at all to me.

All I've heard bandied about is a "rough" Soarin'. As a person who finds Soarin' only mildly entertaining, the notion doesn't appease me.

But absolutely nothing about this project is set in stone as far as I know, so who knows what the final plans will be.

Funny, that is exactly what I pictured for this. In 3-D I presume?

Status
Not open for further replies.