Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I've heard bandied about is a "rough" Soarin'. As a person who finds Soarin' only mildly entertaining, the notion doesn't appease me.

But absolutely nothing about this project is set in stone as far as I know, so who knows what the final plans will be.

Love it, they won't build Indy because we have Dinosaur but we can get a clone or variation of Soarin... :mean:

Love it, they won't build Indy because we have Dinosaur but we can get a clone or variation of Soarin... :mean:

I mean that's not what's definitely going to happen...

But JC has professed his love for Soarin' in all the interviews he's done about the land, and he says how much it fits in with the movie. And from the sound of things, what JC wants, JC gets.

Remember, the guests are pond scum in the grand scheme of things.. We get what they give us.

I mean that's not what's definitely going to happen...

But JC has professed his love for Soarin' in all the interviews he's done about the land, and he says how much it fits in with the movie. And from the sound of things, what JC wants, JC gets.

Remember, the guests are pond scum in the grand scheme of things.. We get what they give us.

Just being smart I didn't take it to heart. I'm actually curious to see what kind of ride tech the ratatouille dark ride at DSP revolves around. You remember CAVE tech talk years ago?

Just being smart I didn't take it to heart. I'm actually curious to see what kind of ride tech the ratatouille dark ride at DSP revolves around. You remember CAVE tech talk years ago?

Oh I know, just wanted to make sure. One person reads that wrong and the next minute everyone on the internet is going, "Z0MG! Avatar ride is Soarin'!":lol:

I'm pretty sure Ratatouille is going to be the trackless system, though I could be wrong there.

And yea, I remember the patent for CAVE. I'm not sure they ever really got that working like they wanted to though. There's probably a reason we haven't heard a peep about it since.

^ RUMOR: It might finally make its debut with the Ratatouille ride system. Can't really elaborate on it but I'm feeling something special coming out of that project.

^ RUMOR: It might finally make its debut with the Ratatouille ride system. Can't really elaborate on it but I'm feeling something special coming out of that project.

Very interesting. hadn't heard that.

And yes, Ratatouille sounds like it's going to be a special attraction. I'd love for it to come to Epcot or DHS.

So, Cameron's Soarin' comment wasn't just a comment? That is the rumor for what he wants? Note that I posted a new thread for people to post their ideas for an Avatar attraction, AND NO ONE REPLIED. I was really hoping to be proved wrong and see some great ideas that I could not have conceived of. Yet nothing.

Dolores Umbridge: [walks in front of Harry with a straight face] Yes?
Harry Potter: [hesitates and looks at his scarred hand] Nothing.
Dolores Umbridge: [bends down] That's right.

So, Cameron's Soarin' comment wasn't just a comment? That is the rumor for what he wants? Note that I posted a new thread for people to post their ideas for an Avatar attraction, AND NO ONE REPLIED. I was really hoping to be proved wrong and see some great ideas that I could not have conceived of. Yet nothing.

Dolores Umbridge: [walks in front of Harry with a straight face] Yes?
Harry Potter: [hesitates and looks at his scarred hand] Nothing.
Dolores Umbridge: [bends down] That's right.

I still haven't sat down and watched the movie yet. I'm slacking :bonk:

You should, as I believe Delores is the most evil character of all the books; the absolute most evil. She (the character/actress) made my blood boil with anger.

Rowling said that Umbridge was the most evil character she ever created, even more evil than Bellatrix.

I think there is a successful Avatar attraction somewhere, but I actually feel that the 3-D film based attraction is not the way to go. A physical attraction that shows off Pandora would be awesome. But again, we're dealing with a situation in which the King of the World is king, and to him, 3-D comes first, everything else comes second.

A physical attraction that shows off Pandora would be awesome.

And if they even tried to shoot for awesome it would be impossible. Show me one artificial plant based attraction that works. Fake plants are like wax people... deader than dead. Novel yes, but dead and dusty.

But again, we're dealing with a situation in which the King of the World is king, and to him, 3-D comes first, everything else comes second.

And they will just recreate a 3D movie in 3D for Disney and make us move around and squirt juice at us? You were more accurate in your first assessment; Disney pounced too fast. WAY too fast.

You have to wonder that if in fact an attraction encompassing Pandora is to be built and use scenes from the film, how at all it might just be something like this. I mean, story-wise, don't most rides based on existing movies just diverge and make up a story to go with the ride? So what type of story set apart from what happens in the movie(s) should we expect from the to be announced Avatar attractions?

I myself can't wait to hear, "Hello folks, I'm Jake! Now let me show you this little place I like to call........Pandora!" :rofl:

[video=youtube;GBGDmin_38E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGDmin_38E[/video]

You have to wonder that if in fact an attraction encompassing Pandora is to be built and use scenes from the film, how at all it might just be something like this. I mean, story-wise, don't most rides based on existing movies just diverge and make up a story to go with the ride? So what type of story set apart from what happens in the movie(s) should we expect from the to be announced Avatar attractions?

I myself can't wait to hear, "Hello folks, I'm Jake! Now let me show you this little place I like to call........Pandora!" :rofl:

We really don't know what to expect from Cameron. Look at T2. Love the show, but it really doesn't make sense with the rest of Cameron's T universe. It's just spectacle for spectacle sake. So, I'm not sure what kind of story we'd get here.

Teebin, not sure if you were implying that I thought 3-D was a good thing or if you were saying they wouldn't do a 3-D ride, but I can almost guarantee this attraction will utilize 3-D, and I'm not sure it's a good thing. You are right, they pounced way too fast. Really should've taken the time to go over with Cameron exactly what he wants and what they want and find mutual ground and must something more firm on the drawing board. I don't think they did that.

--- Update ---

*count

Could FJ with it's rotating giant screens count as a "rough" Soarin'?

Does anyone know what the deal is with Uni's patent for the FJ system and KUKA's involvement?

I take what Cameron said about Soarin' to mean that he enjoyed flying around exploring California, feeling the wind on his face, and smelling the environment. I bet he wants a ride where you fly around Pandora, feel the wind in your face and smell or feel the environment. I don't think he wants something exactly like Soarin'.

I also agree that this ride will surely be 3D because, if I am not mistaken, Cameron has professed a love of 3D.

Noooo. Not surprised, but...noooo.

I really, really hope this 3D craze dies a painful death one day. Oh, I know, everyone SWEARS it's the future of TV, movies, games...media in general...

BUT I FREAKING HATE IT.

Teebin, not sure if you were implying that I thought 3-D was a good thing or if you were saying they wouldn't do a 3-D ride, but I can almost guarantee this attraction will utilize 3-D, and I'm not sure it's a good thing.
Does anyone know what the deal is with Uni's patent for the FJ system and KUKA's involvement?

I meant that he has already done it; tour-de-force hyper real CGI in 3D. When it comes to a theme park... where can they go with that? It's been done already. All they can do is wiggle your seat around and squirt smells and water at you. While great CGI can create impossible worlds... one has to consider that the Avatar worlds are impossible because they cannot be recreated in real life unless on a screen. Leafy green plant life above the ocean cannot be recreated in a tangible live attraction in a dark building or in a natural setting. Never works, (for me). There are some goofy, crazy even, plant species being grown at the parks in CF yet the species in Avatar are completely unobtainable.

Wow, I am just too wordy. Yet I believe this contract may be cancelled before it gets off the ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.