Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear... I wasn't going to say anything but you people brought it up. When I was talking about fake dusty plants I was thinking of ET. Even the bark on the pine trees is dusty. It looks like a 20yo Natural History museum display. Add to this that I am a HUGE fan of the movie... much more so than Avatar. Yet I did find Avatar to be a brilliant and artistic cgi achievement.

I'm a little confused as to why creating an artificial environment would be so difficult. I mean, lets just take my local museum for example. They do INCREDIBLE displays in the animal and dinosaur sections with fake plants and animatronic creatures. There's a rainforest section there that is just awesome - sure everything is fake, but they do it so well that it really feels authentic. Why, then, would it be so hard for a theme park to do something similar?

I agree. And don't forget about Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex, and I'm sure countless other examples. I think some colorful leaves with fiberoptic veins (like this:)

Led-Fiber-Optic-Wand--1-Color--282626.jpg

Would do the trick, never die, and be such a crowd pleasure. Not to mention . . . Animal Kingdom after dark? :happy:

RAINFOREST CAFE! Awesome decorations. Never had a good meal there, though. :rofl:

But yeah. Bottom line is there are many examples of GREAT artificial environments and creatures being pulled off by organizations/companies that don't have as much money available to them as Disney does.

I really hope they don't crap out and go the 3D route. So freaking boring. You can just watch the movie for that, really. I want something more tangible and unique.

I don't understand the hate for 3D. Isn't Spiderman pretty much the #1 ride in the world? I don't hear you guys complaining about that, but God forbid James Cameron wants a ride . . . :lol:

I don't understand the hate for 3D. Isn't Spiderman pretty much the #1 ride in the world? I don't hear you guys complaining about that, but God forbid James Cameron wants a ride . . . :lol:

Not hate for 3-D. Hate for the fact that the 3-D will more than likely be the focus of the ride. Spider-Man is Indiana Jones mixed with 3-D. And I would say FJ is the #1 ride in the world, due in large part to the physical set-pieces.

I dislike the fact that 3D is getting shoved down my throat lately. I don't get the big deal. In my opinion, 3D isn't that awesome. In fact, I really don't like it at all. It's boring, and when I hear that there may be an Avatar section in a Disney theme park, the last thing I want is a ride that's basically just a stupid 3D adventure. They could do so much more with Avatar. That movie may have lacked a great plot, but it wasn't lacking in the visual department. I don't want to just put on a pair of glasses and basically see a rehash of the movie. I want to actually walk through Pandora, see some life-size Na'vi animatronics... I want some frigging CREATIVITY.

Also 3D gives me a headache. :rofl:

And don't forget about Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex

You are kidding, right?

Spider-man is the perfect blend of live action set-pieces, physical effects, and 3-D. I don't expect Avatar to be the same. But we'll see.

I dislike the fact that 3D is getting shoved down my throat lately.

Good news! 3-D is slowly dying!

http://t.co/8JMGmeD9

Not hate for 3-D. Hate for the fact that the 3-D will more than likely be the focus of the ride. Spider-Man is Indiana Jones mixed with 3-D. And I would say FJ is the #1 ride in the world, due in large part to the physical set-pieces.

That's a good point. And I'm starting to wonder how much say Cameron will really have in all of this. He's obviously going to want a lot of control, but I can't see Disney just letting someone step up and completely design and build their own land in one of their parks :shrug:

You are kidding, right?

I never said it's a theme park, I just said it's an example of successful artificial plant-life. What's so wrong with that?

Oh dear... I wasn't going to say anything but you people brought it up. When I was talking about fake dusty plants I was thinking of ET. Even the bark on the pine trees is dusty. It looks like a 20yo Natural History museum display. Add to this that I am a HUGE fan of the movie... much more so than Avatar. Yet I did find Avatar to be a brilliant and artistic cgi achievement.

You gotta keep in mind that most of us aren't plant experts. If you get your face an inch away from anything artificial you can tell it's not real. But at least it's physically there, which makes it more real than anything projected onto a screen. If Disney was just building one attraction, I would agree they could avoid the need for artificial plants. But they're not. An entire land themed to Avatar cannot NOT have them.

Today I saw Doug from UP backstage and thought to myself why that might be and then an idea arose--UP as a surprise addition to the DAK expansion. There is absolutely no evidence for this at all, but allow me to dream. Imagine if the next continent was South America with UP as a flagship ride?

Today I saw Doug from UP backstage and thought to myself why that might be and then an idea arose--UP as a surprise addition to the DAK expansion. There is absolutely no evidence for this at all, but allow me to dream. Imagine if the next continent was South America with UP as a flagship ride?

I think a couple of pages back (or maybe in a completely different AK thread) I suggested the 3-D Soarin' with an UP theme. James Cameron is after my lucky charms...

I think a couple of pages back (or maybe in a completely different AK thread) I suggested the 3-D Soarin' with an UP theme. James Cameron is after my lucky charms...

It would fit in, too, should they ever choose to make a Latin America section. Or bulldoze Hester and Chester's Retard Land, whichever comes first.

Courtesy of Screamscape
www.screamscape.com

2015/2016 - AVATAR - Confirmed - (12/12/11) Stitch Kingdom has posted an interesting article about a new patent Disney has filed for detailing a new kind of attraction, officially titled as ‘Amusement Park Ride with Cable-Suspended Vehicles”. In a way, it kind of looks like a revamp of the old Konfrontation style ride concept at Universal, with the ability of the cabin to move through a real 3D space, while being able to control the altitude, pitch, roll and yaw of the rider cabin.The concept goes even further, suggesting that guests could be able control certain aspects of the ride’s movement, that could change the storyline or thrill level of the ride experience.

So just what ride may this really be for? There is some speculation that this could possibly be put to the test as an AVATAR based attraction, though given the timeline, I do have to wonder if it may have been dreamed up for something for the Shanghai park first.

Idk. To me, that sounds like one of those things Disney R&D just patents because they played around with it, not because they have any intention of implementing it anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.