Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sky is still separate from NBCUniversal which is probably the big issue with pushing more Sky series over for now.

IIRC Sky's international sales arm was formally incorporated into NBCUniversal, so NBCU controls distribution of Sky series.

Just seems like there's a lack of coordination there. There's a ton of upcoming Sky series I would want to watch on Peacock but there's no telling if I'll be able to or not. It's possible tho that Gangs of London and also stuff like Devils on the CW are gonna get moved to Peacock once they finish airing, which would make more sense.

The service has been available to Comcast Xfinity Flex customers since the beginning of May and McGoldrick and Manfredi revealed that some of its strongest performers include the Kevin Costner cowboy drama Yellowstone, classic comedies such as King of Queens and Two and a Half Men, kids series Curious George and films including Shrek and Jurassic Park. “That’s one of the great takeaways from beta,” Manfredi said.

The service also launches with classic comedies such as 30 Rock, Cheers, King of Queens, Parks and Recreation and Two and a Half Men. McGoldrick tells Deadline that Peacock, which has one of the strongest comedy libraries out of all of the streamers, is leaning into the genre in terms of originals.

In addition to Punky Brewster and Saved By the Bell, which the company is confident of having by the end of the year, it has ordered ’90s girl band comedy Girls5Eva from Tina Fey and Meredith Scardino; Rutherford Falls, a small-town comedy from Mike Schur and Sierra Ornelas; and a pilot order of Straight Talk, a Jada Pinkett Smith-fronted couples comedy from Kara Brown and Rashida Jones.

McGoldrick said Peacock wants to capitalize on the library. “When you have people like Tina Fey and Mike Schur in your studio system, it’s a great advantage. They took such an interest in Peacock, it was very exciting for us,” he added.

Said Manfredi, “Comedy was very intentional, not only in terms of understanding what our internal studios could offer but also looking to aggregate from third-party studios that comedy genre and knowing that we have Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Office coming in January 2021. We really liked developing that genre and think we have a lot of world-class comedies, and we’re hopeful that that will only get better.”

I've been watching 30 Rock since Peacock showed up on our Xfinity box back in May. There are a bunch of great shows on here and the limited commercials are fine with me.

I noticed on the SNL Channel, haven’t gone for a straight episode yet, they have like 1 30sec ad every 2-3 sketches. Imo it works and I don’t mind the brief “break” from what I’m watching. I really care though if they put ads in during movies. Breaks during TV Shows feels normal to me.

I think this service has potential once they exclusively get The Office and some other films in their platform

Reactions: gator and GAcoaster
Peacock has already hit Comcast's targets for the end of year before the nationwide launch...a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asked for results of the early run of Peacock, Strauss declined to offer numbers. But he said the company has already exceeded year-end targets for monthly active users, time spent, frequency and return rate, with the app among the most popular on X1. In January, management offered a forecast for $2.5 billion in revenue by 2024, with 30 million to 35 million active users and the service breaking even financially.

That outlook remains intact even though 2020 will unfold without the Olympics, which Burke had described as an “after-burner” for Peacock that would help it break out widely in the summer.

“In a way, I actually believe we’re in a stronger position than where we had planned to be,” Strauss argued. “Even though we don’t have the benefit of the Olympics this year, we’ve been able to create a new marketing campaign that in some ways is going to deliver the same amount of impressions as we were planning during the Olympics but we were able to spread it out across the back half of the year.” He called that “a more effective execution for us because then it maintains a cadence of promotion that doesn’t happen within a two-week period. It happens over the course of a six-month period.”

Distribution and price will be two key prongs of the strategy. Starting Wednesday, Peacock’s premium tier will be bundled at no extra charge for Cox pay-TV customers, a model the company is pursuing with other partners. A deal with Google has been announced, but as yet no agreements have been reached with two major platforms: Roku and Amazon Fire TV, which together reach more than 80 million U.S. homes. Unlike HBO Max, which has emphasized its dim view of talks with Amazon, NBCU says discussions are ongoing with both.

“We believe we’re going to be able to blanket the country in a way that most consumers are either going to have access to the free version or the premium version for de facto free,” Strauss said. “If that’s right, then that influences how you drive originals. It means originals are less about driving acquisition. They’re really more about driving consumption.”

As to decisions about putting titles either on the basic tier or the premium one, Strauss said, “It’s a fine line we’re trying to walk. If you’re going to go to market with a premium, free offering, it’s got to be good. You’ve got to deliver a real value. Getting somebody to download is not success. It’s getting somebody to use it and continue to use it.”

Last edited:
Reactions: youhow2 and Teebin

Lastly just want to point out at launch with 13,000 hours at free tier, and 20,000 at premium, this is launching with more content than Disney+ and HBO Max
How in the world is Peacock getting The Dark Knight in the future??? Streaming contracts are real weird.

I have Comcast Internet so it doesn’t matter to me, but the difference in Free movies and Premium movies is weird. Why make Jurassic Park and Matrix free but Shrek Premium? Will Children of Men encourage more premium sign ups over the Bourne trilogy?

Parks and Rec + 30 Rock both being on the free version is throwing down the gauntlet, no doubt.

Surprisingly deep catalog of Universal Monster movies, very pleasantly surprised. No Wolf Man tho, which is odd - though personally, Wolfman aint that good, so its not a huge issue

The interface needs some work done, it's a little slow, especially the channel section. It's difficult to browse, because there'sonly two channels shown in that window at a time. I also intially thought there were only 3 seasons of Parks and Rec available bc the interface on computers made me think there were no more seasons available past those three.

Very annoying that JP, The Mummy and Shrek are both apparently leaving at the end of July. That's incredibly annoying and caused huge problems for HBOM.

That having been said, most of Hitchcock's great thrillers are free, which was a huge pleasant surprise. They made some great choices for whats free and whats not on the features side, its a nice mix of big stuff being on Premium and big titles being free.

Overall, there's something to be said about a service like this being free, because I dont mind it nearly as much as I did HBOM. I'm actually kind of satisfied right now, I think with some UI fixes, this could be pretty great.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Parks and Rec + 30 Rock both being on the free version is throwing down the gauntlet, no doubt.
Parks and Rec being free doesn't surprise me at all since it's not only on Netflix, but also Hulu. 30 Rock is also on Hulu. It's not like they've been hard to find if you've wanted to watch them. Granted they're now free, but anyone looking into a streaming service likely has one already.

Its kinda crazy they'd launch a streaming service now where Jurassic Park and Shrek, they're 2 highest grossing franchises in their respect genre and an in house property are leaving the service mat launch. It absolutely boggles my mind lol.

If they had JP/Jurassic World at the get go, and The Office at the get go, along with HTTYD, KFP, and other Dreamworks properties, this thing would be a hit instantly. I get you want to build up your service, but without these really at launch, whats the point?

I created an account for the free version and thought it would feature ads, but just watched an episode of Forensic Files (haven't watched this in over a decade and it's a damn good show, btw) with no ads at all. Was this a fluke or does the free version really not have ads?

The free version is a great deal. Reminds me of Hulu back when it was free. But I can say with a good amount of certainty that unless something really buzz worthy comes on Premium, I won’t be upgrading.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
The free version is a great deal. Reminds me of Hulu back when it was free. But I can say with a good amount of certainty that unless something really buzz worthy comes on Premium, I won’t be upgrading.
Same.

Like even if the Office comes to it I'd rather get the series on a sale from somewhere, It being on Netflix is a benefit but would not pay for it one its own unless I just owned the series.

It seems cool for the free things it offers but don't see why I would pay for it

In data app analytics company Sensor Tower provided to Forbes on Wednesday, Peacock reached the top of the iPhone and iPad entertainment charts on Wednesday. In Apple AAPL +0.7%’s list of top free apps for iPhone and iPad, Peacock landed in the third and second spots, respectively.

That puts Peacock in decidedly strong company. In comparison, when Quibi launched in April, it reached a height of fourth place among free iPhone apps and second in the App Store’s listing of entertainment iPhone apps. HBO Max hit the top spot for iPad entertainment apps on its launch day in May, but could only muster third-place finishes in the iPhone entertainment category and free iPad apps. It hit a height of fourth place in the free iPhone app chart.

Peacock is second only to Disney+ among all new subscription video on demand (SVOD) app launches since at least 2014,” a Sensor Tower spokesperson told Forbes.

Not bad, Big Bird. Not bad.