Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Again Comcast already beat their expectations and numbers for this year prior to launch with just xfinity users. They aren't worried.
But don’t they just get it free with their xfinity that they would be using anyway? So how exactly are those reliable customers? Especially since they aren’t paying for the service, just getting it as an extra with their cable.

I think people cared more about HBO Max, which was why they were upset with the (lack of) rollout.

Remember, both HBO Max AND Peacock still aren’t available on Roku or Amazon, which combine for 70% of the streaming market.

According to Google trends, Peacock has paced at a weirdly consistent 70% of HBO Max's popularity when you finish subtracting the amount of users who appear to be searching for Peacock the bird or sports team. That's lower than HBO Max, but not exactly "what is this Peacock thing lol, we don't care about that" levels. And besides, you don't think tech writers love the chance to crap on a mishandled product launch? It's been months since Quibi's release and we're still making fun of it. They have less material with Peacock because it's just...fine. It's alright. They didn't shoot very high and they managed to hit their low target. Blah.

Re: Roku and Amazon: They account for 70% of the TV streaming set-top box market. That doesn't include Video Game consoles or smart tvs. In terms of total OTT consumption on TVs, Roku and Amazon account for 26% and 25% respectively. But remember that there's a ton of double counting going on in that chart, plus not everyone watches streaming video on TV. This chart on Statista is imperfect because it includes all forms of online video, but it still shows that people are very willing to watch things on their laptops, tablets, mobile phones, etc, and that connected set-top boxes like Roku are only a small part of the total equation.

I don't want to make it sound like a non-issue that HBOM and Peacock aren't on Roku or Amazon, it's a sizeable chunk. But again, it's only a chunk, and I think people overestimate just how big that chunk is (e.g. I'm a college student, I'm not dreaming of getting a smart TV set-top whatever at the moment because those things cost money and we're in a recession, so I'll just watch things on my laptop).

But don’t they just get it free with their xfinity that they would be using anyway? So how exactly are those reliable customers? Especially since they aren’t paying for the service, just getting it as an extra with their cable.

If they watch the videos, they're still getting served ads, which generates revenue for Comcast. If - as Matt Strauss claims - Comcast's internal numbers are showing that people who are getting it for free are spending a substantial amount of time watching - which again, they've claimed has already happened - then it doesn't matter how they got it, because NBCU is still raking in ad revenue.

Reactions: RevFreako and Nick
According to Google trends, Peacock has paced at a weirdly consistent 70% of HBO Max's popularity when you finish subtracting the amount of users who appear to be searching for Peacock the bird or sports team. That's lower than HBO Max, but not exactly "what is this Peacock thing lol, we don't care about that" levels. And besides, you don't think tech writers love the chance to crap on a mishandled product launch? It's been months since Quibi's release and we're still making fun of it. They have less material with Peacock because it's just...fine. It's alright. They didn't shoot very high and they managed to hit their low target. Blah.

Re: Roku and Amazon: They account for 70% of the TV streaming set-top box market. That doesn't include Video Game consoles or smart tvs. In terms of total OTT consumption on TVs, Roku and Amazon account for 26% and 25% respectively. But remember that there's a ton of double counting going on in that chart, plus not everyone watches streaming video on TV. This chart on Statista is imperfect because it includes all forms of online video, but it still shows that people are very willing to watch things on their laptops, tablets, mobile phones, etc, and that connected set-top boxes like Roku are only a small part of the total equation.

I don't want to make it sound like a non-issue that HBOM and Peacock aren't on Roku or Amazon, it's a sizeable chunk. But again, it's only a chunk, and I think people overestimate just how big that chunk is (e.g. I'm a college student, I'm not dreaming of getting a smart TV set-top whatever at the moment because those things cost money and we're in a recession, so I'll just watch things on my laptop).

If they watch the videos, they're still getting served ads, which generates revenue for Comcast. If - as Matt Strauss claims - Comcast's internal numbers are showing that people who are getting it for free are spending a substantial amount of time watching - which again, they've claimed has already happened - then it doesn't matter how they got it, because NBCU is still raking in ad revenue.
I still feel like if you aren’t going to launch wide and on all platforms at once it’s a missed opportunity bc by the time it’s on Amazon and Roku, the initial marketing push is gone.

Also, I was under the impression that Xfinity customers got Peacock premium. Wouldn’t that mean little to no ad revenue.

Last edited:
I still feel like if you aren’t going to launch wide and on all platforms at once it’s a missed opportunity bc by the time it’s on Amazon and Roku, the initial marketing push is gone.

That's totally fair, and it is a wasted opportunity in some respects. They had a chance to swing big with their "come on in, we're free" message considering the fact that we're in a recession, and I feel like they didn't push it hard enough on digital, where it could've had an enthusiastic response. Especially if all platforms were in order.

But it's also worth remembering that Peacock planned to launch with the 2020 olympics as the basis for their marketing, and much like with HBOM, many of their buzziest originals - Angelyne, Punky Brewster, and Saved by the Bell, for example - haven't been able to finish production. In many ways, their "initial marketing push" never happened, at least in earnest. That's reflected in their marketing spend; they spent $30k on off-network TV ads to promote the service, which speaks to the fact that getting a big launch is not their priority right now. Right now, the plan appears to be to restart marketing in earnest in January, when Peacock gets exclusive rights to The Office. That's as good a starting point as any.

EDIT: Peacock Premium is the version with all content but still ads. It's confusing. Peacock Free: Free, some content, with ads. Peacock Premium: $5, all content, with ads. Peacock Premium PLUS: $10, all content, no ads. Xfinity customers get the second one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
That's totally fair, and it is a wasted opportunity in some respects. They had a chance to swing big with their "come on in, we're free" message considering the fact that we're in a recession, and I feel like they didn't push it hard enough on digital, where it could've had an enthusiastic response. Especially if all platforms were in order.

But it's also worth remembering that Peacock planned to launch with the 2020 olympics as the basis for their marketing, and much like with HBOM, many of their buzziest originals - Angelyne, Punky Brewster, and Saved by the Bell, for example - haven't been able to finish production. In many ways, their "initial marketing push" never happened, at least in earnest. That's reflected in their marketing spend; they spent $30k on off-network TV ads to promote the service, which speaks to the fact that getting a big launch is not their priority right now.
I agree that they will grow over time slower, but steady. Especially if they make the home of most of their sports, meaning you have to have it to watch certain things. Similar to how ESPN+ holds UFC events and other events, forcing people to sign up if they want to watch.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Peacock is also NOT D+ or even CBS All Access. They're really trying to go for the "free free free!" angle of existing content. I think it'll work as "oh the secondary thing we go to".

Reactions: Clive and RevFreako

Also, I was under the impression that Xfinity customers got Peacock premium. Wouldn’t that mean little to no ad revenue.
No, because Premi is still ad supported.

Peacock is also NOT D+ or even CBS All Access. They're really trying to go for the "free free free!" angle of existing content. I think it'll work as "oh the secondary thing we go to".
It worked for Hulu (which Universal helped to create). It's about building up enough people that want/need to use your service. Remember, Hulu used to be free with ads, too. I think the goal is for Peacock to evolve like Hulu did and Free will eventually go away once their subs hit a certain number.

Reactions: RevFreako
10 million signup for Peacock prior to the official launch. Official launch numbers are not out yet. Usage and content watching exceeding expectations.

Last edited:
I’m really hoping this can get popular enough and can eventually House more legacy universal and universal adjacent properties and have more synergy for the parks. I don’t expect it to be anywhere near what Disney plus is but some fun behind the scenes park stuff would be great. I would pay double what premium costs for some sort of HHN content on Peacock at this point.

Do we know when we should expect some, if not the majority, of the Dreamworks animation catalogue to come to Peacock? That'd be a big win right there.

This could be super successful once they hold more exclusive titles. Classic Universal films, Dreamworks, Illumination, Blumhouse, Focus Features, the possibility is certainly here.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Do we know when we should expect some, if not the majority, of the Dreamworks animation catalogue to come to Peacock? That'd be a big win right there.

This could be super successful once they hold more exclusive titles. Classic Universal films, Dreamworks, Illumination, Blumhouse, Focus Features, the possibility is certainly here.

That's definitely in the cards. The content addendum over here mentions HTTYD, The road to El Dorado and Prince of Egypt all coming 2020 or 2021 (also with Sinister).

I do hope they add in the rest of the Douglas Sirk catalog (I think they have most but not all), Focus Features's acquired libraries (including Polygram, USA Films, Gramercy Pictures, etc.) and the rest of their classic UIP catalog (1955 Mummy!). They could become a force in horror. Oh, also the Child's Play and Psycho series. They have a chance to be the biggest and best in horror.

EDIT: Oh, and I should also comment: Peacock is doing surprisingly well with 10m signups and it definitely shows that they've been playing their cards very well.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Heads up, whole mess of movies added. Snakes on a Plane, Lost in Translation, Moonrise Kingdom, Rush Hour movies, American Sniper, Brokeback Mountain, Big Lebowski, The Graduate, ET, Twister, Escape from New York added.

Also, weirdly, The Conjuring and Beetlejuice, both on the free version. Huh.

Reactions: belloq87 and UNIrd
Lost In Translation is one of my faves! I'm gonna check it out soon. Interesting how some movies are on multiple streaming services at the same time. I've noticed a lot of the movies on Hulu and Amazon Prime are the same.