Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it has something to do with Universal's lack of legacy of watchable cartoon shorts, shows and characters, comic books, and stuff like that when compared to Warner Bros. and Disney. There were plenty of instances where Universal could have had a chance to acquire popular assets in order to grow its company to be as competitive.

1) Hanna-Barbera. Had Universal simply acquired the famed company as originally intended, cartoons like Johnny Bravo, Ed, Edd N Eddy, and Dexter Lab would belong to Universal instead of Warner Bros. USA Network (which Universal acquired in the mid-1990s) had a cartoon block called "Cartoon Express". I could see Universal spinning this block as its own cartoon-like 24 hour network. Adult Swim will inevitably exists, that's for sure, and Universal would be in the business of producing adult-animated shows/movies. WB IMO would be left without a 24 hour Cartoon programming network like 20th Century Fox (now absorbed into and owned by Disney) and Sony.

2) Marvel Entertainment. OK, this one that Universal didn't really offer a deal, but what if they did instead. It would have elevated Universal to be as competitive to Warner Bros. instead of Disney.

3) Funimation. I don't know about that one, but Universal was going to seek it as well.

4) 21st Century Fox. Yes, it's not much when compared to the other first two (and probably the third), but at least it will give Universal a valuable library such as Fox adult-animated sitcoms and X-Men movies. We'll probably have a Deadpool adult animated series by now too.

If Universal has all of these (maybe except #3 or #4, or both), they would be indisputable and competitive to Warner Bros. and Disney and would no doubt expand their reach more influentially. Documentaries about Universal parks would have been made on the service by now. Unfortunately, Universal currently have none of these options listed here, and people aren't as excited about Universal products when compared to Warner Bros. and Disney.

Universal owns way more animated properties right than you know. The difference is they let others distribute (Universal produces/own rights to the anime Seven Deadly Sins however its a Netflix Original) Just because they don't tote them out like WB and Disney, their library of property rights is more vast than even you would believe.

Japanese Animation

Dreamworks Classic

Dreamworks Animation Television

Dreamworks Animation:

Universal Animation Studio

Universal is competitive enough on their own. Thats the same reason they didn't buy IDW or Image comics when they had the chance.

They own Illumination and Dreamworks, the two most powerful animation brands at the BO outside of Disney and Pixar. Minions was the fifth most profitable movie ever at the time of release.

Universal has been toe-to-toe with WB for a while now and is arguably the more consistent of the two. They just make more of their money internationally and through smaller-scale successes than WB so it's not as immediately obvious.

I mean the rest of everything else though? Not enough. If they make more money overseas than here, then it's bound to have limited appeals here in America. Also, I know many members of my circle (family members and friends, including those from Discord and Facebook) are more vested in watching HBO Max than Peacock even if they love Illumination/DreamWorks products and half of them already cut cable in favor of streaming services. Much has to do with popular appeal than just having lots of content. I imagine if Universal has all of the options, maybe except 1 or 2 or both, they would be in a better position to make documentaries about Universal theme parks due to higher demands rather than not having them due to limited appeal.

Universal owns way more animated properties right than you know. The difference is they let others distribute (Universal produces/own rights to the anime Seven Deadly Sins however its a Netflix Original) Just because they don't tote them out like WB and Disney, their library of property rights is more vast than even you would believe.

Japanese Animation

Dreamworks Classic

Dreamworks Animation Television

Dreamworks Animation:

Universal Animation Studio

Universal is competitive enough on their own. Thats the same reason they didn't buy IDW or Image comics when they had the chance.

You know, discussions like this always make me wonder why UCP never ended up acquiring Gimlet podcasting, which was supposedly in discussion. It seems like with the amount of podcasts getting turned into series nowadays would mean the upside would be huge, plus a podcast network like Wondery or Qcode is almost certainly gonna be cheaper than a comics company.

You know, discussions like this always make me wonder why UCP never ended up acquiring Gimlet podcasting, which was supposedly in discussion. It seems like with the amount of podcasts getting turned into series nowadays would mean the upside would be huge, plus a podcast network like Wondery or Qcode is almost certainly gonna be cheaper than a comics company.
Podcasting seems to be one of the only forms of entertainment where being independent is actually a benefit and not a hindrance. Going all the way back to the Slice of Scifi/Scott Sigler days of 2005-2006 (no, whoever you think is the Godfather of Podcasting WASN'T first, nor was he likely best), attempt after attempt after attempt by the big boys to monetize podcasting has failed to work out. Better for the format that the shows that do well get bought individually.

Reactions: rageofthegods

They have their own podcast service now....

They have their own podcast service now....

Knew I was forgetting something.

Still, I remember reading that article (and similar articles about their graphic novel division) and wondering if it might not just be easier to attain scale by getting a Wondery or some such thing. To my mind, it wouldn't just be a matter of number or quality of projects produced - though Wondery does produce some great TV-worthy stuff - but a matter of marketing apparatus and audience as well. UCPA already released a pretty damn good Podcast about CEDU and the disappearance of Daniel Kim but it barely made a blip on the charts, whereas Wondery seems to have figured out how to make their podcasts go big on a dime.

Knew I was forgetting something.

Still, I remember reading that article (and similar articles about their graphic novel division) and wondering if it might not just be easier to attain scale by getting a Wondery or some such thing. To my mind, it wouldn't just be a matter of number or quality of projects produced - though Wondery does produce some great TV-worthy stuff - but a matter of marketing apparatus and audience as well. UCPA already released a pretty damn good Podcast about CEDU and the disappearance of Daniel Kim but it barely made a blip on the charts, whereas Wondery seems to have figured out how to make their podcasts go big on a dime.
I used to exist on the periphery of podcasts. It seems like the Wonderys of the world just don't want to be owned. The closest to a major media deal has been Spotify making the Last Podcast network exclusive, and acccording to them, they were only willing to do that if they had COMPLETE content control.

All 45 seasons of SNL headed to Peacock on October 1

Woot woot! I’m betting some episodes are cut down due to music rights, so everyone please prepare for that.

I’m sure the new season will be here too, Chris Rock hosting the premiere on Oct 3rd!

Odd that there wasn't a press release on it, but early Dreamworks movies like Prince of Egypt, Road to El Dorado, Antz, Sinbad, and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron are now streaming on Peacock as well.

Roseanne is also now on Peacock, oddly.

All 45 seasons of SNL headed to Peacock on October 1

THANK GOD. I've been really wanting to watch episodes from Seasons 28 & 29 and Hulu literally starts at 30 right now! My luck.

Reactions: RevFreako
I don't think that's a Universal property.

Edit -I'm wrong - it somehow wound up with Dreamworks.

Rocky and Bullwinkle are owned by Dreamworks Classics, itself a subsidiary of Universal Studios. I don't why this isn't on Peacock for some reason, considering Universal's lack of appealing cartoon shows from the 20th Century.

Rocky and Bullwinkle are owned by Dreamworks Classics, itself a subsidiary of Universal Studios. I don't why this isn't on Peacock for some reason, considering Universal's lack of appealing cartoon shows from the 20th Century.
Last I knew, it was on Hulu. Probably rights haven't reverted yet. PSA (TO ALL, NOT JUST YOU): just because HBOMax or Peacock or Disney+ is a thing now doesn't mean the previously-signed streaming contracts are null and void. This is the answer with the vast, vast majority of these questions, and a quick google will answer nearly all of them.

Reactions: Nick
Last I knew, it was on Hulu. Probably rights haven't reverted yet. PSA (TO ALL, NOT JUST YOU): just because HBOMax or Peacock or Disney+ is a thing now doesn't mean the previously-signed streaming contracts are null and void. This is the answer with the vast, vast majority of these questions, and a quick google will answer nearly all of them.
Yup, this.

For example, while most of Disney's main library is onto Disney+ or making the transition from Netflix or HBO, they have to deal with a streaming contract that runs through 2024 for Fox releases (the contract stipulates that all 20th Century movies will make their US streaming debut on HBO). For example, Spies in Disguise just debuted on HBO Max a few weeks ago here in the US. Overseas, the movie is on Disney+ already, signifying that without the HBO contract in place, Disney would be taking advantage of the movie and adding it to their service.

Reactions: RevFreako