Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacock (Streaming Service)

While I would have certainly expected changes from the norm, the Olympics could pretty easily operate in a bubble, and I'd expect that most athletes from developed nations would be able to be vaccinated by then (if they want to be, and I'd make their entry into the games conditional upon that). All major/professional sports are already or will be operating. I don't see any reason why the Olympics couldn't, just from a health standpoint.

Now, is it worth the expense for Japan without spectators? That would be the only explanation I could envision if it ends up being cancelled.

Bad news for NBC if they have to fill another chunk of the summer with junk programming because of no Olympics.
Japan probably thinks it better for the country's economy if they just host another future Olympics at this point.

Gosh Darn in.....Goku was going to be one of the Mascots...that would have been fun.

Ohhh well maybe by then Goku and Deku Can both be mascots

IOC said not cancelled and will happen.
Yup, although I still wouldn't be surprised if a cancellation does indeed happen. Sports ratings have been way down all through the pandemic, so i'm not even necessarily sure right now is the right time to hold them from that standpoint. Although if they do want to go ahead with the Olympics, it would be easy to hold, as all of the athletes should have the vaccine, so COVID spread shouldn't even be a concern. I just wouldn't expect a crowd.

This will have big effects on Peacock with how popular EPL is. It will force many to pay for Peacock if they want to see the games.

I wouldn't be surprised, but the vaccine distribution supply is still long ways ahead. Probably by late 2021/22 is when the world at least is vaccinated against COVID. It's still hard to say if the Tokyo Olympics would have gone ahead this summer.

With the NBC Sports, Olympics, and now WWE going straight to Peacock; man does Comast have a lot for sporting incentives on that service. Definitely has ESPN+ beat, that's for sure.
As long as ESPN+ keeps UFC, they'll be fine (especially since ESPN+ is more $ per month than Peacock currently). I also don't see NBC Sports as big of a get for Peacock as much as EPL is, which was already being shown on there. NBC only had EPL and NHL and NHL is a pretty niche sport these days. The Olympics will be big for them, but i'd say that that's a short term gain for them as they're likely to gain a lot in a short amount of time... and then the paying customers from that time will all drop as soon as the olympics are over. It's like dropping WW84 on HBO Max. People only signed up for one reason and then they're gonna leave.

What would TRULY be big imo is if, once the NFL contracts are renegotiated following the 2022 season, will NBC try and stipulate that the Super Bowl be on Peacock? Will ABC/ESPN try and stipulate that they get a Super Bowl and have it on ESPN+? That could truly change everything going forward.

As long as ESPN+ keeps UFC, they'll be fine (especially since ESPN+ is more $ per month than Peacock currently). I also don't see NBC Sports as big of a get for Peacock as much as EPL is, which was already being shown on there. NBC only had EPL and NHL and NHL is a pretty niche sport these days. The Olympics will be big for them, but i'd say that that's a short term gain for them as they're likely to gain a lot in a short amount of time... and then the paying customers from that time will all drop as soon as the olympics are over. It's like dropping WW84 on HBO Max. People only signed up for one reason and then they're gonna leave.

What would TRULY be big imo is if, once the NFL contracts are renegotiated following the 2022 season, will NBC try and stipulate that the Super Bowl be on Peacock? Will ABC/ESPN try and stipulate that they get a Super Bowl and have it on ESPN+? That could truly change everything going forward.

I would love sports to go all streaming. The downside is the buffer delay but sports was my biggest issue with cable. With covid going on, I’ve managed to watch more football than ever because more games are on so the fans can view it but it’s on a game by game basis and it’s working out cheaper.

I would love sports to go all streaming. The downside is the buffer delay but sports was my biggest issue with cable. With covid going on, I’ve managed to watch more football than ever because more games are on so the fans can view it but it’s on a game by game basis and it’s working out cheaper.
It might be cheaper now, but at some point these companies will need to start profiting off their streaming services. Once these sports contracts are moved and all the streaming services are more of a final product i would expect each service to be $15-$25 a month. $200 million a year for wrestling, imagine what the big sports will go for and those companies will have to turn a profit somehow.
The pickup is interesting as currently the network is worth ~$156mil a year (1.3mil sub @ $10 a month) and downward trending year over year. I am curious to see what the cost of these streaming services end up being because there is being alot of money thrown around.

It might be cheaper now, but at some point these companies will need to start profiting off their streaming services. Once these sports contracts are moved and all the streaming services are more of a final product i would expect each service to be $15-$25 a month. $200 million a year for wrestling, imagine what the big sports will go for and those companies will have to turn a profit somehow.
The pickup is interesting as currently the network is worth ~$156mil a year (1.3mil sub @ $10 a month) and downward trending year over year. I am curious to see what the cost of these streaming services end up being because there is being alot of money thrown around.

As supported Video on demand won’t have to raise prices as they can just charge the advertisers.

it’s the independent SVOD with no ads who will have to raise prices.

NBCuniversal already said they make a lot more money from the ad watching viewers than the premium viewers. The premium subscriptions they give out for free since are ad based because they still bring in income as it only takes 4 hours of streaming with ads for Comcast to make the money back from that “loss”.

The main reasons sports are going to Peacock and USA is because NBCSN only had four major sports (NHL, NASCAR, Horse racing, EPL)

As supported Video on demand won’t have to raise prices as they can just charge the advertisers.

it’s the independent SVOD with no ads who will have to raise prices.

NBCuniversal already said they make a lot more money from the ad watching viewers than the premium viewers. The premium subscriptions they give out for free since are ad based because they still bring in income as it only takes 4 hours of streaming with ads for Comcast to make the money back from that “loss”.

The main reasons sports are going to Peacock and USA is because NBCSN only had four major sports (NHL, NASCAR, Horse racing, EPL)
And out of those four, I would really only describe EPL as a true Major sport. The NHL used to be, but no longer is if we're being honest. I'd consider it and NASCAR as a mid-major sport. People only really care about horse racing when it's coming to the three major races. Aside from that, it's a super niche sport.

And out of those four, I would really only describe EPL as a true Major sport. The NHL used to be, but no longer is if we're being honest. I'd consider it and NASCAR as a mid-major sport. People only really care about horse racing when it's coming to the three major races. Aside from that, it's a super niche sport.

NHL might not be as big but it has the demographic advertisers like with more disposable income than some others. So it holds some value. But NHL is trying to work a new TV deal and might split the rights between networks (ESPN getting back into it?) so NBC might not be exclusive home anymore.

NHL might not be as big but it has the demographic advertisers like with more disposable income than some others. So it holds some value. But NHL is trying to work a new TV deal and might split the rights between networks (ESPN getting back into it?) so NBC might not be exclusive home anymore.

Comcast has their sights set on NHL...remember they do fully own a team.