Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
NFL Sunday night football streaming on Peacock...

additionally

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerroddragon
Well I just started Demon Slayer(which is a good anime if you like adventure anime) but thats on the back burner now...Office time

Meanwhile, the report also notes conversations across Comcast and AT&T (T +0.9%) about a closer working relationship between NBCUniversal and WarnerMedia, including potentially bundling programming, though WarnerMedia has declined to go forward there.

NBCUniversal weighs new streaming service separate from Peacock - report
NBCUniversal weighs new streaming service separate from Peacock - report
Interesting. Seems like whatever this is could be like a new version of Hulu? Hulu was originally a joint venture between Disney, Comcast, Fox and Warner.

This would certainly help people care about Peacock. It also tells me that The Office was only as popular as it was on Netflix because it was a good show to put on in the background and it was included with Netflix. Very few people want to pay for a streaming service just for The Office, just like no one went and signed up for HBO Max *just* for Friends (especially at $15/month). People sign up for HBO Max because it's got a lot of variation and it just happens that Friends is included.

Reactions: n i c k
One thing I think Universal could do for Peacock is a day/date release with Dear Evan Hanson at the least, although I think pulling from theaters altogether could be even smarter as it forces people to signup for Peacock to see the movie. It wouldn't be giving up a golden goose like F9 or JW3, but we know from Hamilton last year that musicals can create a lot of hype surrounding a service and DEH has a very large following and many are likely people that were eagerly waiting for Hamilton last year.

I feel like musicals can be an event at home, but aren't necessarily something most people feel they need to go to a theater for. Just something I was thinking about as a way for Peacock to really sort of make a statement and it would force people to sign up for their service as it would be exclusive to the service.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
One thing I think Universal should at the very least do a day/date release with Dear Evan Hanson on Peacock (although I think pulling from theaters altogether could be even smarter as it forces people to signup for Peacock to see the movie). It wouldn't be giving up a golden goose like F9 or JW3, but we know from Hamilton last year that musicals can create a lot of hype surrounding a service and DEH has a very large following and many are likely people that were eagerly waiting for Hamilton last year.

I feel like musicals can be an event at home, but aren't necessarily something most people feel they need to go to a theater for. Just something I was thinking about as a way for Peacock to really sort of make a statement and it would force people to sign up for their service as it would be exclusive to the service.
Ohhhhh I like this, as well as another Dreamworks or Illuminations flick, but this is a good idea. They need buzz. I actually like the app and if they added their films I’d then love the app, but I can’t recommend it to anyone unless you love what’s on there already basically.

Over Marc Platt's dead body. That movie is an Oscar play with a stacked cast and his son is starring in it.

There are plenty of other places they can look wrt features (deal with Working Title, deal with Blumhouse, acquisitions) before they start sacrificing quality projects like that. EDIT: Staging an NBC-style live musical on Peacock, maybe of a more adult musical like Next to Normal or Spring Awakening, ain't a bad idea though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive
Over Marc Platt's dead body. That movie is an Oscar play with a stacked cast and his son is starring in it.

There are plenty of other places they can look wrt features (deal with Working Title, deal with Blumhouse, acquisitions) before they start sacrificing quality projects like that. EDIT: Staging an NBC-style live musical on Peacock, maybe of a more adult musical like Next to Normal or Spring Awakening, ain't a bad idea though.
You're placing more stroke on Platt than he possesses. If NBCU wants to day and date DEH and sacrifice a debatable amount of Osxar bait box office to draw eyes to Peacock, Platt will ask how high to jump. He won't like it, but he can't stop it.

You're placing more stroke on Platt than he possesses. If NBCU wants to day and date DEH and sacrifice a debatable amount of Osxar bait box office to draw eyes to Peacock, Platt will ask how high to jump. He won't like it, but he can't stop it.

I would possibly take that bet. Platt still has a lot of sway in this town. Remember, many pivots to day-and-date streaming deals required sign-offs from top talent. Platt would probably qualify.

Reactions: rageofthegods
I would possibly take that bet. Platt still has a lot of sway in this town. Remember, many pivots to day-and-date streaming deals required sign-offs from top talent. Platt would probably qualify.
Did the really require many sign offs though? From what I remember, Trolls was thrown onto PVOD without even telling the cast, Hamilton, Soul and now Luca were moved to Disney+, and The 2021 WB schedule was unceremoniously dumped to HBO Max without telling anyone involved with those movies first.

Now did they have to work some stuff out after? Absolutely. But the studio has 100% control of what they do with their product. They can work out the grievances later, as WB/HBO Max have shown to be true.

Reactions: RevFreako
Did the really require many sign offs though? From what I remember, Trolls was thrown onto PVOD without even telling the cast, Hamilton, Soul and now Luca were moved to Disney+, and The 2021 WB schedule was unceremoniously dumped to HBO Max without telling anyone involved with those movies first.

Now did they have to work some stuff out after? Absolutely. But the studio has 100% control of what they do with their product.

I'll put it to you this way: You don't want to piss off Platt. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't see it happening.

I'll put it to you this way: You don't want to piss off Platt. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't see it happening.
Scorsese says he hates streaming services, too, yet his last movie was on Netflix and his next movie is on Apple TV+.

Nothing changes peoples positions on things quite like the dollar bill. Theoretically, say Universal worked out an agreement that gave Platt his theatrical bonuses upfront, no matter the box office in a day/date release. I think he’d end up falling right in line.

Reactions: RevFreako
Scorsese says he hates streaming services, too, yet his last movie was on Netflix and his next movie is on Apple TV+.

Nothing changes peoples positions on things quite like the dollar bill. Theoretically, say Universal worked out an agreement that gave Platt his theatrical bonuses upfront, no matter the box office in a day/date release. I think he’d end up falling right in line.

Regarding the money, totally. I think everyone has a price on these things no matter how much they praise the holy virtues of the traditional theatrical experience. Scorsese is proof of that.

I just think that Platt's ego, its Oscars prospects (remember, Platt really wants that Best Picture Oscar), and his personal connection to the project will set that number really, really, really high.

Reactions: rageofthegods
Regarding the money, totally. I think everyone has a price on these things no matter how much they praise the holy virtues of the traditional theatrical experience. Scorsese is proof of that.

I just think that Platt's ego, its Oscars prospects (remember, Platt really wants that Best Picture Oscar), and his personal connection to the project will set that number really, really, really high.
Platt produced Josie and the Pussycats. Let's keep things in perspective.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nick
Donna Langley-Universal Pictures Chairman has stated Peacock hasn't made any deals for any movies nor were there any plans to in the future and that if plans were made for it, those films would be made just for Peacock and not for theatrical at all.

While Disney and others are pushing to push same day streaming and release, Universal's PVOD deal is for 5 years....they will risk hurting their pictures just to push films to Peacock.

Donna Langley-Universal Pictures Chairman has stated Peacock hasn't made any deals for any movies nor were there any plans to in the future and that if plans were made for it, those films would be made just for Peacock and not for theatrical at all.

While Disney and others are pushing to push same day streaming and release, Universal's PVOD deal is for 5 years....they will risk hurting their pictures just to push films to Peacock.
All i'm saying is that eventually Peacock is gonna have to get some Premium scripted content. The fact that they have deals for a decent amount of sports stuff and WWE is great, but there's really no reason to have the service currently as far as their content original content goes and The Office only gets you so far.