Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hmmm suspected but Kate is likely leaving SNL then I’d imagine. It is an NBC show so maybe they can make it work, but I suspect this is her last 2 Saturday’s.

I actually don't think Peacock is much great shakes at true crime - the Gacy series in particular was a 101-level disappointment. Dateline too - outside of the TCAP series, anyone who's had a passing interest in true crime over the last thirty years won't learn much. I realize I'm a little biased because I'm a gorehound, but it's my view on it.

Reactions: Nick

it seems every day we get new programming announced for peacock. I'm not surprised though about Below Deck getting a spin-off for peacock. Its Deadliest Catch: rich person edition.

it seems every day we get new programming announced for peacock. I'm not surprised though about Below Deck getting a spin-off for peacock. Its Deadliest Catch: rich person edition.
They announce stuff often, but almost all of it is filler content. And Below Deck already has a spin-off going on TV.

They announce stuff often, but almost all of it is filler content. And Below Deck already has a spin-off going on TV.
in fairness, everything you're not interested in is filler for you. Making It was so good that Baking it would have sold me the service.

in fairness, everything you're not interested in is filler for you. Making It was so good that Baking it would have sold me the service.
Not true in how I Judge a service. I never had any interest in Game of Thrones for instance (mostly because I waited too long to watch), but I know when a show is a hit.

I also don’t care anything about the Fast & Furious franchise, but I’d give huge props to Peacock for finally doing a spin-off TV show based on one of their big IPs. Everything I’m seeing are relatively cheap shows that will draw niche audiences.

Not true in how I Judge a service. I never had any interest in Game of Thrones for instance (mostly because I waited too long to watch), but I know when a show is a hit.

I also don’t care anything about the Fast & Furious franchise, but I’d give huge props to Peacock for finally doing a spin-off TV show based on one of their big IPs. Everything I’m seeing are relatively cheap shows that will draw niche audiences.
Yup, and every niche audience will sell the service to another pair of eyeballs. The Gacy documentary, Baking It and NXT each draw a chunk - enough of those, and you get a number that a tent pole would be happy to get, cheaper.

Discovery+ added 5.8 million users in its first month of release, it was the biggest SVOD in terms of net addition by far in those months when it launched. There's evidently a big audience for Unscripted, even if you and I don't necessarily understand the appeal.

Honestly I don't know why reality wasn't a bigger part of the service. They should have fifty Housewives spinoffs on this! (There are probably production reasons I know).

Reactions: RevFreako
Discovery+ added 5.8 million users in its first month of release, it was the biggest SVOD in terms of net addition by far in those months when it launched. There's evidently a big audience for Unscripted, even if you and I don't necessarily understand the appeal.

Honestly I don't know why reality wasn't a bigger part of the service. They should have fifty Housewives spinoffs on this! (There are probably production reasons I know).

I think there's a longer shelf-life on unscripted - read true crime and game shows - than the Real Housewives type of reality. There's also less risk of attaching your brand to someone who turns out to be cancerous in one way or another, like the Worst Cooks winner who became a murderer, so they had to Benoit a whole season of the show, or Wossname Duggar, who killed a whole range of shows by being a pedophile.

Reactions: rageofthegods
I think there's a longer shelf-life on unscripted - read true crime and game shows - than the Real Housewives type of reality. There's also less risk of attaching your brand to someone who turns out to be cancerous in one way or another, like the Worst Cooks winner who became a murderer, so they had to Benoit a whole season of the show, or Wossname Duggar, who killed a whole range of shows by being a pedophile.

Oh, for sure. To me, no streamer has had a format as addictive as, say, The Masked Singer, but the one that cracks it will go far (Netflix has tried but idk).

Oh, for sure. To me, no streamer has had a format as addictive as, say, The Masked Singer, but the one that cracks it will go far (Netflix has tried but idk).
Netflix's problem is that they won't stick with a good idea, outside of Nailed It. Not a game show, but the Christine McConnell/Muppets creepy craft show was an absolute delight, but it only got one season. I think Peacock has the best chance of all of them in this arena - so many good shows they can spin off and revive.

Reactions: rageofthegods

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Susan Rovner, hairman, Entertainment Content, NBCUniversal Television and Streaming spoke about just a little about bravo programming especially Real Housewives doesn't speak well on class and race during a variety interview. Diversity not just be race but opinion, religion, and more will be showcased.

You’re the first person to have this job. What’s the mandate?

My mandate is to grow original content for Peacock, bring the ratings at NBC back up to No. 1, and maintain the health of our linear cable networks. Taking this job was about the challenge of becoming a programmer and a buyer. It’s so many platforms, but I get to be a part of the NBC legacy and building Peacock. And I’m a true Bravo-holic.

New York magazine recently ran a piece acknowledging that a lot of Bravo programming doesn’t align with 2021 standards for how we look at class and race. How do you approach change at a brand with such a well-defined identity?

The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City is an interesting look at how we can evolve. It still has opulence — Bravo fans do want to see this life behind the golden beads — but it has a much larger range of women. Not everyone has as much wealth. It also deals with religion. That all appeals to the Bravo audience, because that show premiered abnormally well.

Additionally she defined a Peacock show vs NBC show
What is the difference between an NBC show and a Peacock show?

At NBC, it’s about finding shows that are broad, commercial, relatable and more closed-ended. For Peacock, it’s about bingeable, urgent shows and events. I want bigger ideas — more elevated, more premium — to bring people to the service.

Unscripted has always been a part of NBCUniversal cable appeal so much so USA and Syfy cut down their scripted for unscripted programming. I mean they just ordered 33 shows for cable and 27 are unscripted.

Universal doesn't produce Real Housewives, Below Deck, Summer House, Southern Charm, or Top Chef but they own the IP. I think the struggle because there are so many spin-offs already is finding production companies that understand what NBCUniversal wants with that content. The production company in charge of Season 7 of Below Deck really got NBCUniversal in a lot of trouble by casting really really verbally and emotionally abusive men to the point long term fans where trying to boycott Bravo and Andy Cohen in general.

I think Unscripted right now is serving as a quick supplement due to the fact their biggest original scripted drama underperformed (Brave New World) and COVID massively slowed down production on all their dramas including the exclusive Latin based content.

The agreement includes a commitment of three specials for Cyrus across the portfolio, the first of which will be Stand By You, a Pride concert special exclusively for Peacock.

...Not the headline I expected to read today. Certainly grabs attention though!

Reactions: GAcoaster

Deadline is heavily slanted to support theaters (hence the editorializing in that piece), but I have to agree with them. This seems like a puzzling move that positions Boss Baby as some sort of loss leader for Peacock.

Deadline is heavily slanted to support theaters (hence the editorializing in that piece), but I have to agree with them. This seems like a puzzling move that positions Boss Baby as some sort of loss leader for Peacock.
I guess the rationale is either

A. Most kids aren't vaccinated
B. Our target demographic is increasingly watching content on streaming/declining theatrical numbers for animated films that should have made a certain amount of money (which basically happened to every non-Disney animated film in 2019).