Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm seeing a lot of people complain on social media, but honestly this at least looks better than most of the recent coasters SWP has built. After how utterly plain Ice Breaker turned out to be, I fully expected this to be blue track on a field of grass or gravel, but at least the concept art shows some minimal effort to make the area look nice with water features, rockwork, and beachy landscaping. Not a fan of the partially uncovered queue, but I guess standing in the sweltering Florida sun sort of fits with the theme lol.
Still sad we got a roller coaster instead of the Jurassic World-style hotel or a family ride, but at least this roller coaster offers something new and big from a quality manufacturer and isn't another Skyline special or Premier Rides BOGO quasi-shuttle coaster.

Reactions: JS610 and shiekra38
I am confused. Traditionally, stand up coasters are ridden in the stand up position and the seat is there for straddling and not for sitting soooooo how will bouncing seats really be felt if we are standing? I am just imagining something randomly tapping my ball sack every few seconds or so as I am standing with my feet on the ground.

The name is kind of meh

However, I think the seat articulation will really be a win for this type of model (and potentially future models)

It could have that feeling you get when you jump as soon as a fast elevator starts moving down (don't act like you've never done that)

Couple that with a pretty chill layout and it could be one of the more approachable rides for a lot of people

I am confused. Traditionally, stand up coasters are ridden in the stand up position and the seat is there for straddling and not for sitting soooooo how will bouncing seats really be felt if we are standing? I am just imagining something randomly tapping my ball sack every few seconds or so as I am standing with my feet on the ground.
It looks like the straddle (which is definitely a ball killer) on the old stand ups has been redesigned

Reactions: Disneyhead
Soooo B&M patented a standup and sitdown version of this technology (very similar to Veloci)

I wonder if this could be converted to a sitdown should the standup 'thing' not work

I also wonder if a more intense launch sitdown will be going to BGT

Reactions: anihilnation

I'm more curious how they are going to account for guests who stand and lock their knees. Based on what we've seen, I'd think the weight of the seat and restraints would then transfer to their legs at the bottom of hills. Can't imagine it being a good thing.

I'm more curious how they are going to account for guests who stand and lock their knees. Based on what we've seen, I'd think the weight of the seat and restraints would then transfer to their legs at the bottom of hills. Can't imagine it being a good thing.
Luckily it doesn't appear these will lock in place like the original stand ups

Also the layout seems like it's going to avoid the more intense classic B&M positive Gs

the original stand ups were way to intense

Yet, I imagine there will be some that will write this one off like Manta, which is another model that's not for everyone

Luckily it doesn't appear these will lock in place like the original stand ups

Also the layout seems like it's going to avoid the more intense classic B&M positive Gs

the original stand ups were way to intense

Yet, I imagine there will be some that will write this one off like Manta, which is another model that's not for everyone

Exactly. The whole thing moves. So wheres that weight go if you lock your knees straight?

Non-plussed by this addition, (I didn't find Ice Breaker impressive on riding it last month for the first time). Not a huge fan of stand-ups in general, and I've been on the best-of-breed like Riddler's Revenge, through to Intamin, and even Togo stand-ups - glad I don't want children and neither does my girlfriend. But that's just me, I'm sure Sea World has a broader demographic in mind that they think it will appeal to. Though I think they may need to lift their game in the future, or Epic Universe may become that extra day park.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Non-plussed by this addition, (I didn't find Ice Breaker impressive on riding it last month for the first time). Not a huge fan of stand-ups in general, and I've been on the best-of-breed like Riddler's Revenge, through to Intamin, and even Togo stand-ups - glad I don't want children and neither does my girlfriend. But that's just me, I'm sure Sea World has a broader demographic in mind that they think it will appeal to. Though I think they may need to lift their game in the future, or Epic Universe may become that extra day park.

I think this will be their last "big kid" coaster for a while. Ice Breaker was meant to be the family-thrill coaster until they increased the height requirement.

2024+ will benefit SeaWorld in the long term if they can add family-based attractions.

Right in the balls, where all the pee is

Technically speaking, that isn't where the, oh, nevermind. Thankfully, I never got violated on a stand-up (basketball bouncing up unexpectedly quick after hitting a root in the backyard was another matter) but Mantis used to really hurt my calves. King Cobra never bothered me and neither did Change (Kentucky Kingdom) but Mantis did something different.

If its anything like Vortex at Carrowinds then it will be hard on those with injured/bad knees.

Rode it in the summer... will never ride a stand-up again. I thought the hate towards stand-ups were exaggerated - I learned my lesson.

I fully expect the next new coaster to be an Intamin straddle coaster since now 3 SeaWorld parks will have them. That will be more family friendly.

Yeah, hopefully, it follows the Williamsburg route of being indoors.

Reactions: JunoSynth
I'm not sure this won't have anymore of an intense feeling than a fast elevator

But I am very sorry some people tore their ACL in high school or whatever

• Haha
Reactions: Darko
I fully expect the next new coaster to be an Intamin straddle coaster since now 3 SeaWorld parks will have them. That will be more family friendly.
The only concern I have is whether the Intamin Family Launch coaster going to Epic Universe has come with any sort of exclusivity deal that would prevent SeaWorld from building a similar ride so close by. I think this is part of the reason that SWO so often turn to B&M - they aren't tied up in exclusivity contracts in central florida with Disney or Universal unlike many other manufacturers.

Reactions: anihilnation
The coaster has already been toped out!

313089210_10100203494184215_3931352804937725605_n.jpg