Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023) | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think a "good duration" for a coaster is to base it on the intensity. A family coaster should theoretically be a bit longer as you can easily handle 3-4 minutes of coaster, whereas something as intense as the Hulk should aim for a minute.

I think a "good duration" for a coaster is to base it on the intensity. A family coaster should theoretically be a bit longer as you can easily handle 3-4 minutes of coaster, whereas something as intense as the Hulk should aim for a minute.
This is where pacing comes in

Hulk happens to have a lackluster second half lol, but I understand what you're saying

I do wish Pipeline had a second launch and the layout was flip flopped a bit (bigger elements in the second half)

But whatever

Reactions: anihilnation
I’m afraid it looks a bit short - that seems to be a trait of first-of-their-kind B&Ms though. Based on that video we’re looking at about a 45-50 second ride time.
Every launch coaster will seem a bit short because they have taken out the longest part. Take Kraken for example from the top of the lift to the MCBR, it's 40 seconds. from the MCBR to the first set of final brakes, it is 20 seconds more. Same with Mako, about 40+seconds from top of lift to the MCBR. Then another 20 seconds to the first set of the final brakes. We have to fact the fact that we will never get a launch coaster with the same ride time of a non-launch coaster unless it is multiple stops/slow downs.

Last edited:
Every launch coaster will seem a bit short because they have taken out the longest part. Take Kraken for example from the top of the lift to the MCBR, it's 40 seconds. from the MCBR to the first set of final brakes, it is 20 seconds more. Same with Mako, about 40+seconds from top of lift to the MCBR. Then another 20 seconds to the first set of the final brakes. We have to fact the fact that we will never get a launch coaster with the same ride time of a non-launch coaster unless it is multiple stops/slow downs.

Completely agree but some launched coasters provide a much more well-rounded ride than others. Velocicoaster and Hulk (despite its predictable second half) provide good to great overall rides though ride time is shorter than a lift hill. By comparison, The Ultimate in the UK was an 8 minute coaster that you could sleep on and probably wished you hadn't boarded. So, for me, the length of time on the coaster is somewhat important but the quality of the actual ride and usage of elements matters more.

Sea World probably got this thing on a huge discount.. because it is short.. a prototype... and taking up a ton of real estate... and going to be one of the least popular attractions in the park.

When you build a prototype you don't necessarily want to go "all out" with the max speed/height/length/inversions until you know how it will work. Look at the first B&M flyers-- SUF at SFOG and Air at Alton Towers. They were proof of concept but not really pushing the limits. There's only so much computer modeling you can test, but you need a real world model to see where there are areas that still need tweaking.

Of course B&M is pretty thorough and have rarely had issues, even with prototypes, but there's always a chance...

Now, if everything works great and it gives a great ride experience, expect Cedar Point to roll out a bigger, better version in two years.

Sea World probably got this thing on a huge discount.. because it is short.. a prototype... and taking up a ton of real estate... and going to be one of the least popular attractions in the park.

While I'm not convinced entirely yet of this attraction, it might become the most popular due to its proximity to the entrance and it's a little more family friendly than Manta/Kraken and to some degree Mako since people are afraid of heights.

When you build a prototype you don't necessarily want to go "all out" with the max speed/height/length/inversions until you know how it will work. Look at the first B&M flyers-- SUF at SFOG and Air at Alton Towers. They were proof of concept but not really pushing the limits. There's only so much computer modeling you can test, but you need a real world model to see where there are areas that still need tweaking.

Of course B&M is pretty thorough and have rarely had issues, even with prototypes, but there's always a chance...

Now, if everything works great and it gives a great ride experience, expect Cedar Point to roll out a bigger, better version in two years.

I would hope that Cedar Fair would think that having already redone Mantis was enough of a stand-up experience.

Reactions: wutisgood
We're going to see a lot of testing and adjusting the "bounce" the next few weeks

That being said, I do appreciate the option to turn this into a floorless coaster if you wish lol

SeaWorld Orlando jas announced their new coaster, Pipeline: The Surf Coaster, will open May 2023.

Reactions: Cygnus
Funny dream I had last night: I was one of the first in this, was awesome, but then at the end there is a last launch, and the surfboards all get individually launched into the water. The last part you had to swim lol.