Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Play! Pavilion

A lot of stuff doing the rounds (again) about this getting completely scrapped to the point of the building being torn down. Is this thing gonna be the new Kidzone and we get these rumors every six months?
What is the building currently used for? It's can't be nothing can it?

Either way, demoing it and drawing up something different there would be my vote tbh

What is the building currently used for? It's can't be nothing can it?

Either way, demoing it and drawing up something different there would be my vote tbh
It’s an “active” construction zone that has a half finished Play Pavilion inside.

So nothing currently.

I wonder how much they write it off as a Chapek thing and do something else…
I'm sure they are exploring options. It was a Chapek decision from when he was head of P&R so i'm sure Josh would love to be able to bring his own alternative to Iger. There's always the possibility that they just build a second GotG ride and take full advantage of having the rights to the IP in FL or find another needle in the haystack of Marvel IP that they can actually use and then they would sort of have a mini superhero land.

I'm just trying to think through their eyes. It basically has to have IP in it. Avatar already has a land (not that Avatar belongs at Epcot, just thinking through Disney's IPs). Tron is at MK. That part of Epcot does need a bit of a less intense attraction probably so maybe they could rework Play! into something similar, but also incorporating a ride into the final product and something that won't be dated the second it opens.

No matter what they do, bulldozing the building is probably the best option for the park and also for the quality of anything replacing it. It's not easy to fit anything into that building without it feeling awkward imo (or without considerable reworkings). The building is very much like the Mission To Mars/Alien Encounter/SGE building. It was purpose built in 1971 for one kind of attraction, that being an in-the-round attraction. They haven't been able to figure out anything to replace SGE in part because that space is so oddly designed for one type of experience with not much room to change it and it's the same with this building.

There's always the possibility that they just build a second GotG ride and take full advantage of having the rights to the IP in FL or find another needle in the haystack of Marvel IP that they can actually use and then they would sort of have a mini superhero land.
baymax-hello.gif

May well have been discussed elsewhere but guessing with Iger’s comments about Moana being the final piece in EPCOT’s ‘expansion’ then we can finally say RIP Play! Pavilion.
Will be interesting to see if something, anything will come to the space someday, but that could and would likely involve gutting what was mentioned to be a half completed Play Pavilion attraction. Based on Disney's recent to do list involving the parks, this is on the bottom of the list in terms of what needs to be addressed.

Imagination is also 10 years past due for an update.

Agreed, while the former WoL is a dead zone because there's nothing there, the Imagination Pavilion is a dead zone because the main attraction is bad (and I'll say it again, it's the worst version of the ride, too.), and that needs some dire attention so it can be an attraction that'll draw folks in.