Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Portofino Bay

No way....just my opinion though....based on over 100 nights at Portofino. I like RP, stayed there over 30 nights, but it's not in the same class. I can't take Hard Rock music 24 hours a day plus their rooms are smallish.

I always got the impression that Portofino was just a more classy adult place. Hard Rock is for young adults and teenagers and RP was for families.

To be honest, that’s an incredibly cheap rehab. Carpet, reupholstered the chair and headboard, and white paint on all the walls. Paint and a new mirror frame in the bathroom.

The bathroom is where things get expensive, but the current one really needed more than what it got. Ditto for the television.

I always wondered why this is their top tier resort. IMO Hard Rock/Royal are far better options

Universal considers all those hotels to be a part of the same category, but tout Portofino as their flagship because of several reasons. Besides being the first one to open, it also has a view that no other Resort can offer; just like the Contemporary is a "Deluxe" because of its proximity and Monorail gimmick. Ultimately, Universal feels the amenities at Portofino are a bit more "refined" compared to the other 2. At the end of the day though, "better options" are just a matter of opinion depending on what you're looking for in a hotel.

Universal considers all those hotels to be a part of the same category, but tout Portofino as their flagship because of several reasons. Besides being the first one to open, it also has a view that no other Resort can offer; just like the Contemporary is a "Deluxe" because of its proximity and Monorail gimmick. Ultimately, Universal feels the amenities at Portofino are a bit more "refined" compared to the other 2. At the end of the day though, "better options" are just a matter of opinion depending on what you're looking for in a hotel.
I can see that, I suppose its the most visually pleasing and deluxe feeling. I've just never been particularly impressed with Portofino.

Contemporary has the second largest standard rooms at WDW, and are actually closer to the first-placed Grand Floridian than third-placed Polynesian. Its faults re: being a deluxe are more a function of construction standards when it was built (low ceilings, tiny bathroom) than anything else. Let’s be honest: Aventura is more contemporary than the Contemporary. But a place like Bellagio suffers from the same issues - it is not a five star hotel but generally gets lumped in with the top tier of Vegas hotels just based on branding and consideration for being built 22 years ago.

There are also things that clearly differentiate Portofino from a traditional hotel star or key rating system. For instance, Portofino bathrooms have a two sink vanity while Hard Rock’s is that weird split setup while RPH has one. Someone scoring the hotels by the book would likely have half-star gaps between the three.

(And sometimes I wonder if the All-Stars would even make it to two stars if properly graded - certainly 5-10 years ago before the updates).

It would look better, if maybe, ya know, they had put up some art work with similar colors and also not make the walls seem so bland.
I agree, the green accent wall helped add some colour...Perhaps it should have made its way to the floor instead

The busy design of the floor reminds me of Hard Rock if I'm being honest

All I can think is they were going for this effect, why it didn't carry through to the soft goods I have no idea

Midnight+Blue+Glaze+_+Raku+Pottery.jpg

Looking at it again, it would help a lot if they painted the molding between the wall and ceiling, so it wasn't just all white.

I made my reservation for December! I've always loved this resort, especially during the holidays. It's got an awesome feel when it's all decorated.

Any word on what restaurants will be re-opening with it? Hoping to dine at Mama Della's again.

Portofino has tons of convention space, a spa, and the most upscale dining options. Combine that with the most resort “feel”, that’s why Loews and Universal sells it as the star resort. As theme park fans there are better resorts for our needs.