Possible Imagination Overhaul | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Possible Imagination Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Epcot is about enlightenment and inspiration. I do not think IP can deliver that in a way Epcot aims.

Spit ball idea. Harry Potter was gotten by Disney and they put it in Epcot (it wouldn't have been, but work with me here). Harry Potter is inspirational, but is it enlightening? Is it worthy of fitting in Epcot?

To quote Syndrome, "When everyone is super, no one will be."

When everything is Magic Kingdom, nothing will be.

Geeez, this thread was started in 2013. Is there a reason or strong rumor that it has been rekindled?
Inside Out has been armchair imagineered as a potential replacement, and with 300M or so going into the park it seems reasonable to expect a new ride somewhere in the park.

last I heard figment was still a top merch seller. And I would disagree, his track record doesn't suck, Tom Fitzgerald's does. Inside Out would fit nicely in WOL.
Figment had one good ride out of two (not to mention the terrible one in between). He's not the most reliable Disney parks character there is. I would agree but WOL is just gone for no reason whatsoever, surprising there isn't any news one it. Also is figment really that much of a merch giant? Not being sarcastic just genuinely curious

Figment had one good ride out of two (not to mention the terrible one in between). He's not the most reliable Disney parks character there is. I would agree but WOL is just gone for no reason whatsoever, surprising there isn't any news one it. Also is figment really that much of a merch giant? Not being sarcastic just genuinely curious
Again, the bad ride had nothing to do with Figment and everything to do with Fitzy. A few years ago, the last I heard, it was still a real big seller.

Again, the bad ride had nothing to do with Figment and everything to do with Fitzy. A few years ago, the last I heard, it was still a real big seller.
Lol well obviously, sorry to break this to everybody but figment isn't real. It still has his name attached on it so when it comes to all rides featuring figment, he's had one hit and everything else is a miss

My argument is that Future World was designed to be a Worlds Fair-esque environment. If an IP is going to lend itself to that kind of exhibition, then I'm OK with it, but we shouldn't be throwing Disney-Pixar films at the wall just to see if they will stick.

In a perfect world, Future World would be razed for Stark Expo and be constantly updated and blown up.

Geeez, this thread was started in 2013. Is there a reason or strong rumor that it has been rekindled?

The strongest official word is that in an interview around the time the film came out, the directors (HUGE Disney park fans) pitched it to Imagineering as a replacement for Imagination. Whether or not WDI went with it or made any blue sky concepts is anyone's guess, but we know for sure the creators' preference is for the IP to go in that specific pavilion. Keep in mind that the director, Pete Docter, had his first official WDFA animating job on the Cranium Command preshow and is well aware of its former existence, so it wasn't as if he was unaware of WOL.

As for the IP argument that I've seemed to ignite again, I'm gonna throw this log on the fire because it's been hugely bothering me. Is Figment an IP or not? He's in Marvel comics, sells a bunch of merch and has been in all 3 JII incarnations. Sounds like another self-made IP to me. Of course, the purists will argue that he's original to the park itself but that's a strange way of looking at it. Figment gets a pass because he was grandfathered in?

It starts to get even loopier going down the rabbit hole. Horizons technically uses the Carousel of Progress IP, being a sequel. Kitchen Kabaret and Food Rocks used original characters, and the former had a HUGE merch selection and became its own cult IP. One of Eisner's first decisions was to put characters in the park due to guest complaints. If you want to go even bolder, the concept of retro EPCOT Center has become an IP in of itself, selling to nostalgic fans. It's a grey area that often finds itself blurring lines quite a bit even in Epcot's heydays.

We've crossed all of the "I can accept it, but that doesn't mean I'll like it!" points, so I have to ask: what left is there to accomplish? Just bitch and moan? Spit at the realism? I'm fine with people having an opinion, but at what point does the push at making a dialogue become moot? You of course can speak with your wallet, but that pales in comparison to all that Frozen and IO merch they can sell, not to mention the fact that IO and Figment can actually coexist. This is a movie where one of the main characters was an imaginary friend with an animal-like appearance. Hell, Figment even has an unspoken cameo. If all of the dialogue is going to be, "This looks neat!" followed by "NEVER!!!!".... what else is there to be said?

With WDW's timeframe this probably won't even happen within this decade anyways if it happens at all. So I guess we should just argue about semantics until the 2019 D23 Expo arrives and they announce the Imagination replacement due in 2024. ;)

One IP they missed on with EPCOT was WALL-E.
It would have been perfect for the scope of the park.
Set in the future, shows the importance of recycling and what we are leading to if we don't.
IMO, after reading the books about EPCOT this would have fitted well.

Before MJ's death, apparently Lasseter was pushing hard for a WALL-E "tour of space" attraction to replace the Magic Eye in DL, TDL and DLP. I couldn't figure out why that didn't work out until listening to a Parkscope podcast which said exactly the reason why it wouldn't work: it's depressing.

I love WALL-E, it's the best film that Pixar has ever made IMO but it's hard to disagree with that.

^ But it also would have "fat shamed" like that Inoventions pavilion that quickly came and went. All the butterballs in ECVs would have been made uncomfortable by Wall-E

Wall E basically pokes at obesity in America. I don't think it would go over well with the Wine and Food crowd.

Also, as stated before. Would be very easy to include Figment in a new Inside Out attraction. They wouldn't have to ditch him.

Anything...and I mean anything would be better then what they have now.

Reactions: Ryan
Actually the "bad" ride in between had very little Figment. The fact that to "fix it" they had to fall back on using figment and basically find a few ways to fit him in just shows that he is indeed a very reliable Disney Parks character.

I think most of the Pixar films could fit incredibly well in Epcot with Epcot's theme. Nemo is a perfect IP to combine with Living Seas, unfortunately they kind of lost focus in the middle of it (at least how it feels).
Figment is an IP now that was created from Epcot. He was a very lovable character that they did eventually use in some other forms, but he wasn't grandfathered in he helped create Epcot. In regards to the ride, the reason most people want it redone is because we want it redone to what it used to be. It as easily the Small World/Peter Pan/PotC of Epcot and coexisting in the same area has Horizons was a home run. Yes Epcot was an IP free park in the beginning, but to me the park was more about everything that humanity has and can still achieve. The IP's can help kids get excited about those useless things all around us like history, science, health, culture and then help educate them. Epcot was the best form of Edutainment ever created.

Please note some of these movies are just speculation but I would assume they could likely work, also some of them may not be the best utilization for the IP.
Wall-E could fit very well with The Land, Wonders of Life, Mission Space, or even Spaceship Earth
Inside Out - Wonders of Life (still not putting Imagination in here sorry I just can't)
The Good Dinosaur - Universe of Energy
Test Track - Cars
Toy Story - Spaceship Earth (Toys throughout the ages with the important things happening)
Bug's Life - The Land
Up - Soarin'