Possible Imagination Overhaul | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Possible Imagination Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Actually the "bad" ride in between had very little Figment. The fact that to "fix it" they had to fall back on using figment and basically find a few ways to fit him in just shows that he is indeed a very reliable Disney Parks character.

Remember that this was back in 2001. The old JII ride existed only three years prior. That's why Figment was made the central character, because he was still very fresh in guest's minds. Of course, the attraction that replaced JIYI was an improvement, but seemed rather temporary. And here we are, 14 years later and it's still freaking here. I was on summer vacation from middle school when it opened up and I remember people saying, "Okay it's good for NOW but hopefully they'll come up with something better down the line" back then. And now I'm over three years out of college and this thing is still rotting in Epcot.

I don't doubt Figment is still popular, but I'd gather that he's much less popular now than he was back then.

I don't doubt Figment is still popular, but I'd gather that he's much less popular now than he was back then.
Well yes a character is only going to maintain it's overall popularity if there is continuos content to keep it relevant. They used Figment to save a bad ride and the implementation is very poor. This of course over time affects the perception of the character so while Figment saved the ride the ride is damaging the Figment character but atleast keeping it relevant. The point is though that the character if presented properly has the potential to be a very popular character.

Reactions: *Q*
Im not sure why you wouldn't put Inside Out in the Imagination Pavilion, there is an entire section of the movie about your imagination. The current attraction is about your Senses anyway. Emotions, Memories, and Imagination go hand and hand. Wonders of Life was more about the actual biology of the human body. Not your emotions or thoughts.

Reactions: Ryan
Lol well obviously, sorry to break this to everybody but figment isn't real. It still has his name attached on it so when it comes to all rides featuring figment, he's had one hit and everything else is a miss
What are you talking about? Figment isn't real? What does that mean? You made a statement that ignored the facts ... Yeah, figment was placed in a bad ride with a bad presentation, that goes back to the designer, writer and imagineer. I have no clue how this concept is difficult to understand. You had one of the most popular characters in the park and Tom Fitzgerald screwed it up. Badly. Some say on purpose because of his hatred of Tony Baxter, and the fact he was forced to place Figment back into "his" attraction, a chatacter he was intentionally trying to get rid of. Pretty friggin simple.

Im not sure why you wouldn't put Inside Out in the Imagination Pavilion, there is an entire section of the movie about your imagination. The current attraction is about your Senses anyway. Emotions, Memories, and Imagination go hand and hand. Wonders of Life was more about the actual biology of the human body. Not your emotions or thoughts.
What does WOL theme have to do with replacing the pavilion? WOL no longer exists. It would not be Wonders Of Life featuring PIXAR'S Inside Out. It would be a complete replacement with nothing to do with WOL.

They can still fix Imagination. You literally have a shuttered pavilion that can house an entirely new experience and attraction(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrRoamer
the only "firm" projects coming to Epcot at the moment is Frozen. When it comes to Disney you have to take everything with a huge grain of salt. Even projects they officially announce don't ever happen..."Hyperion Wharf" being a most recent example.

Exactly. It keeps boggling my mind to wrap around all of this constant freaking out that everybody is dealing with.

"Inside Out" wasn't about creativity, but it wasn't directly about human biology either. (mental health at best, but moreso psychology) However the steps to make an attraction that revolves around creativity is so absurdly easy I could write a dummy logline for an attraction in five seconds. Even EPCOT Explorer on twitter, who is STAUNCHLY firm in his stance on old EPCOT Center recognized the potential for IO after he saw it. Imagine what you could do with Image Works, yes the upstairs one! The possibilties are infinite but because the overall premise is vaguely similar to a shuttered animatronic show that was in a tiny theater in quite possibily the worst location for any attraction in the entire park's EXISTENCE, the purists demand it has its place there.

And it's just an excuse to "forget about it" and throw the "let's add, not subtract" argument into the mix which makes so little sense. Before you add, you need to fix. EPCOT will be able to add once they fix the rotting remains of Future World. JII with Figment is one of those rotting remains alongside Energy and the empty WoL building. Which brings me to my next point...

What does WOL theme have to do with replacing the pavilion? WOL no longer exists. It would not be Wonders Of Life featuring PIXAR'S Inside Out. It would be a complete replacement with nothing to do with WOL.

They can still fix Imagination. You literally have a shuttered pavilion that can house an entirely new experience and attraction(s).

Exactly. WoL doesn't exist anymore. We could make it ANYTHING.

So, pray tell, exactly what would separate Imagination from an attraction in WoL's place about Inside Out? It's redundant. I feel like people shouldn't be allowed to enter this discussion without having seen the movie first, but it feels downright ignorant to just throw these baseless claims. IO felt like EPCOT. Not because of its similarties with Cranium Command. But because its similarities to Journey Into Imagination. It's a hand-in-glove situation and the current Imagination attraction sucks.

Let WoL be something new. Anything new. Let Figment and his pavilion find a new realm, NOT of the Imagination Institute, but of Riley's mind. There is a great attraction just waiting to be made, and terrific side attractions that would boost Epcot's popularity even more. We can't just keep throwing any Imagination redos away because somebody keeps holding onto the fantasy that Disney will bring Dreamfinder and the original ride back. You have to reach a compromise, or else you're just delaying progress.

Exactly. It keeps boggling my mind to wrap around all of this constant freaking out that everybody is dealing with.

"Inside Out" wasn't about creativity, but it wasn't directly about human biology either. (mental health at best, but moreso psychology) However the steps to make an attraction that revolves around creativity is so absurdly easy I could write a dummy logline for an attraction in five seconds. Even EPCOT Explorer on twitter, who is STAUNCHLY firm in his stance on old EPCOT Center recognized the potential for IO after he saw it. Imagine what you could do with Image Works, yes the upstairs one! The possibilties are infinite but because the overall premise is vaguely similar to a shuttered animatronic show that was in a tiny theater in quite possibily the worst location for any attraction in the entire park's EXISTENCE, the purists demand it has its place there.

And it's just an excuse to "forget about it" and throw the "let's add, not subtract" argument into the mix which makes so little sense. Before you add, you need to fix. EPCOT will be able to add once they fix the rotting remains of Future World. JII with Figment is one of those rotting remains alongside Energy and the empty WoL building. Which brings me to my next point...

Exactly. WoL doesn't exist anymore. We could make it ANYTHING.

So, pray tell, exactly what would separate Imagination from an attraction in WoL's place about Inside Out? It's redundant. I feel like people shouldn't be allowed to enter this discussion without having seen the movie first, but it feels downright ignorant to just throw these baseless claims. IO felt like EPCOT. Not because of its similarties with Cranium Command. But because its similarities to Journey Into Imagination. It's a hand-in-glove situation and the current Imagination attraction sucks.

Let WoL be something new. Anything new. Let Figment and his pavilion find a new realm, NOT of the Imagination Institute, but of Riley's mind. There is a great attraction just waiting to be made, and terrific side attractions that would boost Epcot's popularity even more. We can't just keep throwing any Imagination redos away because somebody keeps holding onto the fantasy that Disney will bring Dreamfinder and the original ride back. You have to reach a compromise, or else you're just delaying progress.
Sorry, this is a ridiculous post. Why don't you say anyone who disagrees with you shouldn't be allowed into this discussion. Its a childish argument.

You have one pavilion that is shuttered. Not used. It can fit a new attraction. Another that needs a big refurb that contains original IP for the park with a still popular character. I'm not even against the idea of inside out in EPCOT. You guys just seem to have your hearts set on it for Imagination for some odd reason. Maybe because of a rumored pitch by the makers of inside out? I don't know, but you're not doing yourselves or your argument any favors. Matter of fact, inside out would have a bigger presence on wol plot. They could level the entire structure and build an entirely new pavilion, THEY WOULD NOT DO THAT AT IMAGINATION. They would replace the films from Eric Idle and replace them with io characters.

Yes, we get it, you really really like inside out and want an attraction. I want Horizons back.

Last edited:
Matter of fact, inside out would have a bigger presence on wol plot. They could level the entire structure and build an entirely new pavilion, THEY WOULD NOT DO THAT AT IMAGINATION. They would replace the films from Eric Idle and replace them with io characters.

Then what is your point to make here? If you have such little faith in Disney that they would never do anything good with the Imagination plot (which, btw, seems entirely opposite of their current modus operandi of building in existing structures rather than making new ones), then why champion it to go in WoL if they would never make a new Imagination attraction in the first place? Or that Disney wouldn't spend the money on Inside Out but they totally WOULD spend it on Dreamfinder and Figment?!?! That makes... zero sense whatsoever. If you want to talk childish, then that would be looking at the IP and stubbornly shutting it down in some bizarre hold you have for maintaining what little there remains of Journey Into Imagination.

My point is: watch the movie and then deliver the argument from there on why the IP doesn't work. Not just, "Because I don't want it!"

That, my friend, is childish.

EDIT: also comparing the IP of a film that is about to make 800 million dollars worldwide and god knows how much merch cash to that of a cult favorite old EPCOT attraction that barely anybody outside of the fan community remembers is pretty inane

Last edited:
Wonders of Life building is actually being used and is now renamed (by me) as Wonders of Food and Wine Seminars.

It is being used. I suppose they could move all this into "innovations" or currently renamed (by me) as "interactive trade show center"

The reason it I/O should go into JII is because it makes the most sense, and seems the most realistic from a green-light POV.

the BoD are all about repurposing current attractions that are loosing luster. We could wish for anything we want, but this is Disney we are talking about. Dreams don't come true here. At least not recently.

Reactions: Ryan
Then what is your point to make here? If you have such little faith in Disney that they would never do anything good with the Imagination plot (which, btw, seems entirely opposite of their current modus operandi of building in existing structures rather than making new ones), then why champion it to go in WoL if they would never make a new Imagination attraction in the first place? Or that Disney wouldn't spend the money on Inside Out but they totally WOULD spend it on Dreamfinder and Figment?!?! That makes... zero sense whatsoever. If you want to talk childish, then that would be looking at the IP and stubbornly shutting it down in some bizarre hold you have for maintaining what little there remains of Journey Into Imagination.

My point is: watch the movie and then deliver the argument from there on why the IP doesn't work. Not just, "Because I don't want it!"

That, my friend, is childish.

EDIT: also comparing the IP of a film that is about to make 800 million dollars worldwide and god knows how much merch cash to that of a cult favorite old EPCOT attraction that barely anybody outside of the fan community remembers is pretty inane
Frozen Norway. There you go. So quick we forget.

You're stuck on this Imagination idea that you guys created. I'm not going to argue armchair Imagineering. They have/had plans to refurb Imagination to the point Frozen took the budget. I would be happy if they put anything good there, but would much rather they keep the existing IP as it's a classic. They could actually turn wol into an actual attraction. That's a big plus. I say, fix Imagination, create a new attraction, don't replace, especially when fw needs a lot of help. That's two new experiences, one new ride and no excuse to superimpose a new theme on an existing attraction AGAIN.

And you're having an imaginary argument over inside out. I never said it wouldn't fit, you just keep going on and on with this straw man debate that I'm not debating. I never said I wouldn't like it in EPCOT. But you two are really starting to make me despise it. It's like someone is making fun of your girlfriend here.

Wonders of Life building is actually being used and is now renamed (by me) as Wonders of Food and Wine Seminars.

It is being used. I suppose they could move all this into "innovations" or currently renamed (by me) as "interactive trade show center"

The reason it I/O should go into JII is because it makes the most sense, and seems the most realistic from a green-light POV.

the BoD are all about repurposing current attractions that are loosing luster. We could wish for anything we want, but this is Disney we are talking about. Dreams don't come true here. At least not recently.
I think we both know what i meant. And a retheme makes sense to you. It would be totally counter productive to what EPCOT needs. But I'm not getting into an imaginary argument. When there's credible proof of anything happening with inside out, then it will be worth discussing, not a bunch of io fans bluesky dreams.

Dare we say the addition of Inside Out to the Imagination Pavilion doesn't use much... imagination? :lol:
S Y G--N E R Y, now you see things differently!

imagination.jpg

Frozen Norway. There you go. So quick we forget.

You're stuck on this Imagination idea that you guys created. I'm not going to argue armchair Imagineering. They have/had plans to refurb Imagination to the point Frozen took the budget. I would be happy if they put anything good there, but would much rather they keep the existing IP as it's a classic. They could actually turn wol into an actual attraction. That's a big plus. I say, fix Imagination, create a new attraction, don't replace, especially when fw needs a lot of help. That's two new experiences, one new ride and no excuse to superimpose a new theme on an existing attraction AGAIN.

And you're having an imaginary argument over inside out. I never said it wouldn't fit, you just keep going on and on with this straw man debate that I'm not debating. I never said I wouldn't like it in EPCOT. But you two are really starting to make me despise it. It's like someone is making fun of your girlfriend here.

But that still makes no sense. When it's synergy they're cheap but if it's an original attraction featuring the original IP (which it is), they won't be?

I'm not saying to overlay the current ride system with IO. I also don't want the same if, say a new JII were to come in as well. The point isn't about overlays, it's about possible new future attractions. The ride system for the current Imagination is part of the problem. Unlike Maelstrom into Frozen, it's been redone TWICE already, and is old as dirt. I have to imagine Frozenstrom will get a very nice upgrade electronically and have the flumes and boats get a lovely touch-up. JII wasn't nearly that lucky. So no matter what, the ride system's gotta go. I have to imagine that's some of what the allocated budget was for. And we don't actually know if it WAS for an Inside Out-themed attraction. It was in production since 2009, they could've been keeping it as a possible idea, or maybe it was Figment.

But the thing that I hate most of all is the bawling over synergy. It seems like a catch-all excuse to bark out hatred over anything Disney does nowadays in the parks. Yet there is so much that goes into these decisions. There are bad decisions, good decisions and mixed decisions. Frozen in Norway is not a great decision, but there are elements about it that make sense. It's something I feel very mixed on. I don't have complete and utter contempt for Disney for doing it.

But you do know what made me sad? Journey Into Your Imagination. What it replaced, and what it was... it was a huge middle finger and the direct result of truly terrible and cheap decisions along with some dirty WDI politics. The original is gone now. It's never coming back. I don't want an overlay, and I just don't see Disney spending the money on a wholly new ride with new systems and restoring the upstairs without a huge tag to it. Which, of course, is a marketable IP. And you could do so much worse than Inside Out.

My argument is that it works, most people love it and Disney would probably spend the cash on a huge new upgraded attraction with a new ride system. I'm not TDO, you're not TDO, so really it's not like we're making the decisions. But it is a damn shame that fans out there have quickened to dislike anything new out of fear for losing what little, even if currently wretched and poor, is left. So continue to hate on a movie you've never seen because of preconceived bitterness. That's your prerogative.

They're cute, but I would actually much rather have the characters represented via Pepper's Ghost effect. The emotions as AAs make them look solid, which is against what they appear in the film. (they also move like cartoon characters)