Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

PYQ Coming to CityWalk

Better consistency in what???

Pronunciation, I would think. If you have some folks who pronounce it "P.Y.Q.", others who pronounce it "Pick", "Peek", and even "Pike", then word-of-mouth is going to work against you instead of in your favor.

This. If your brand name is easily known vs all the other possible pronunciations it creates a consistent label for your brand.

I can understand that, but with this change, it's not even a pronounceable name at all.

Thats yet to be seen, so we will see once the new logo goes into public view.

Ahh very nice, I will check it out tomorrow and find out if its already had a positive impact.

I just got back from Orlando yesterday and upon my first walk past the store, I realized they had changed the name...probably out of confusion for how to pronounce "PYQ"

Snapped some pics and yes the projection still says PYQ.
DSC_7508_zps57908af0.jpg

DSC_7506_zpsb9a9bd57.jpg

Well, now it looks like you're supposed to pronounce both letters like "P.Q."

I have no idea what the point of the exclamation mark is.

Well, now it looks like you're supposed to pronounce both letters like "P.Q."

I have no idea what the point of the exclamation mark is.
Yeah, besides being unpronounceable and looking stupid, this doesn't help any brand confusion at all, specifically because people aren't going to know how to say the name.

Last edited:
From @NickCorjay

Just stopped in “P!Q” before leaving. They said it’s still pronounced as “Pick”. The “!” Is supposed to represent an upside down “I”.

Still lots of signage and even employee name tags still say “PYQ”. They were pretty candid in saying they didn’t like the change.

Um, okay......?

From @NickCorjay

Um, okay......?
Yeah, that was pretty much reaction when they told me. It seems as though some of the employees are still a bit perplexed by the change. One of the employees actually stood there and made a drawing, explaining to the other employee the meaning of the "!" (basically that the "!" is an upside down "i" - which is absolutely ridiculous).

I noticed the change while we were visiting last weekend, and I had no trouble figuring out what they were going for by swapping out the Y for a !. Granted, there was a discussion earlier in the thread about the pronunciation of the store's name, so that probably helped me figure it out. Personally, I think the new name makes more sense.