Reedy Creek Improvement District | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Reedy Creek Improvement District

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Whatever happens I doubt it’ll be final.
If they do what has been rumored then it could be final-ish. The basic rumored planned has just been to spin RCID into a state government run district instead of a district that Disney has control of.

If that's the final solution, it's actually a good thing (no company should have their own government on their land), but they're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: SkiBum
If they do what has been rumored then it could be final-ish. The basic rumored planned has just been to spin RCID into a state government run district instead of a district that Disney has control of.

If that's the final solution, it's actually a good thing (no company should have their own government on their land), but they're doing it for all the wrong reasons.

While I'm not down there or informed about all the news, my guess for a while was that they would keep the same format but with government-appointed directors. It's kind of the "don't fix it if it isn't broke" while also completing the power play. My guess is that the suit to prevent will occur soon (probably April) after the special committee has been set up. Neither side is going to come out of this with a "win".

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nick
While I'm not down there or informed about all the news, my guess for a while was that they would keep the same format but with government-appointed directors. It's kind of the "don't fix it if it isn't broke" while also completing the power play. My guess is that the suit to prevent will occur soon (probably April) after the special committee has been set up. Neither side is going to come out of this with a "win".

Frivolous suits are filed every day, but there's really no way out of this for the Mouse. RCID was a creature of statute, and one that was always questionable and shady going back to its formation. I think the spin this week will be to play it down -- "see? same as Universal has. Not really a punishment." (Which is actually a huge blow but no one is going to want to acknowledge that.) The real fireworks, no pun intended, will be the appointment of the new RCID board, which I'm sure will have politically motivated members. If they overstep, we might see lawsuits.

Reactions: Clive and SkiBum
Yet again, the special session called for RCID-related legislation is not the true purpose of the session. DeSantis is directing the State Senate and House to repeal portions of a previous law and pass a new law related to transportation of unauthorized immigrants. TL;DR: According to state law, he illegally trafficked unauthorized immigrants from Texas, and the law allowed the government to traffic them if they originated from the state. The new law removes the origination requirement and retroactively approves any funds used previously.

Fun.

Funny, part of their argument was that RCID was to unique and powerful, but this seems to increase its government power and make it even more unique. It'd be the only special district with this form of governance.

Funny, part of their argument was that RCID was to unique and powerful, but this seems to increase its government power and make it even more unique. It'd be the only special district with this form of governance.
The slimiest part of this is the part that says “no person who has worked with/for a theme park or entertainment complex "within the past 3 years" can serve on the board”.

To me that screams only lobbyists are welcomed on the CFTOD Board. Currently Disney is obviously controlling the RCID Board in much the same manner which isn’t good either (only handpicked people by Disney got on the board), but now it feels like things have swung too much the other way.

Now it’s a FL Governor appointed Board, meaning only people who have interests that align with the Governors will be appointed.

The whole thing just has a gross feeling about it from both sides.

The slimiest part of this is the part that says “no person who has worked with/for a theme park or entertainment complex "within the past 3 years" can serve on the board”.

To me that screams only lobbyists are welcomed on the CFTOD Board. Currently Disney is obviously controlling the RCID Board in much the same manner which isn’t good either (only handpicked people by Disney got on the board), but now it feels like things have swung too much the other way.

To be clear, a Disney lobbyist would almost certainly be barred under this language ("had a contractual relationship with").This is intended to give locals a bit of oversight over what the district is doing. I wouldn't be shocked to see if the Villages district had a similar restriction on members from The Villages Corporation or whatever the developer calls itself--ditto Universal's district. The idea is to keep a well-funded megacorporation from running roughshod over locals.

But, of course, TWDC has turned itself into a political football as of late, so expect these positions to become highly politicized, silly as that is. I truly expect at least one or two "influencers" to max out donations to the Governor in an attempt to get a seat on the board, as well. Can you imagine the engagement???

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
It is ironic really, Desantis is doing this purely out of personal vendetta, yet it is a good thing, a corporation should not have such governmental power.

As for what led to all of this: Love is Universal!

There is a reason Disney isn't fighting this....as much as people are saying oh its good....get ready for the surprise shocker.
Disney isn’t fighting it because they’re probably celebrating behind the scenes that they got rid of RCID. As much power as it gave them, it was also a burden.

Reactions: anihilnation

Now it’s a FL Governor appointed Board, meaning only people who have interests that align with the Governors will be appointed.

The whole thing just has a gross feeling about it from both sides.
One of the new board members is the wife of a Proud Boy. Crazy stuff.