Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Remy's Ratatouille Adventure

I hope Ratatouille brings people in like they think it will
Did they think it would bring in people? I was always under the impression this was meant to keep people in the park longer ($$$) and add capacity for Guardians...not sure what the original pre-COVID timeline for this was though to be fair.

I also have a hard time believing Disney is making any sort of mistake with their opening date. They’re pushing their park reservation system for a reason, and I’d imagine attendance/staffing forecasting that comes with this system has a lot to do with it. I’d imagine October is the next time they either a.) predict a lull or b.) will expand their capacity, in which case they can test the waters with how a new ride does in COVID.

ETA: I’ve been on the Ratatouille ride and it was super underwhelming, and that was BEFORE I’d been on Rise of the Resistance of Mickey’s Railway (which I’m not too fond of either tbh)

I think Disney is overselling the scope, they're making a Mermaid like problem.
I'm getting NFL flashbacks

Did they think it would bring in people? I was always under the impression this was meant to keep people in the park longer ($$$) and add capacity for Guardians...not sure what the original pre-COVID timeline for this was though to be fair.

I also have a hard time believing Disney is making any sort of mistake with their opening date. They’re pushing their park reservation system for a reason, and I’d imagine attendance/staffing forecasting that comes with this system has a lot to do with it. I’d imagine October is the next time they either a.) predict a lull or b.) will expand their capacity, in which case they can test the waters with how a new ride does in COVID.

ETA: I’ve been on the Ratatouille ride and it was super underwhelming, and that was BEFORE I’d been on Rise of the Resistance of Mickey’s Railway (which I’m not too fond of either tbh)
Lol I'm not sure how much more capacity Epcot needs

I wouldn't doubt October is intentional...They literally have no cards to play when fall rolls around

It's a smart move...it's just a self inflicted wound that began loong before Covid

Last edited:
What did they say that makes you say they're overselling the scope? Even if they are, they Disney hype machine knows no bounds. It never stops.

Combination of several things. Showing off the one big show scene over and over, coming after two incredible trackless dark rides within short order, being Epcot's first major addition in its "overhaul", and the fact it's the only major addition "for" the 50th. It's a one-legged stool.

Combination of several things. Showing off the one big show scene over and over, coming after two incredible trackless dark rides within short order, being Epcot's first major addition in its "overhaul", and the fact it's the only major addition "for" the 50th. It's a one-legged stool.
I mean, i'm a fan and I just sort of don't think their marketing has been all that prominent. Sure they've shown the short little scene (which honestly I haven't even watched in full yet because i'm insane and try to stay away from any and all spoilers if I can avoid it - i've done it for 7 years, no need to stop now!), but I don't think they're overselling it yet. Now if they start doing a weekly photo reveal of little details about the queue or the ride etc, then I think they'll be approaching Mermaid levels.

Now as far as following up Rise and MMRR, yeah, it's gonna disappoint comparatively, but it will be the most popular ride at Epcot until GotG opens for sure.

I also wouldn't say it's the only addition "for" the 50th either as I think they'll have Harmonious ready to go on October 1.

but it will be the most popular ride at Epcot until GotG opens for sure.

That's not what we're arguing though.

I also wouldn't say it's the only addition "for" the 50th either as I think they'll have Harmonious ready to go on October 1.

But that's what they have NOW for their advertising. Which is what we're all saying: they're overselling the scope of the ride like Mermaid and it won't be judged fairly.

Anyway, someone's spilling the t

But that's what they have NOW for their advertising. Which is what we're all saying: they're overselling the scope of the ride like Mermaid and it won't be judged fairly.

Oct 1 isn’t the next fiscal year though lol?

I don’t really think I’m in disagreement with you? I get what you’re saying and agree. I kinda just don’t care that much as Disney’s the one who is creating the expectations, so it’s on them in the end.

Part of me thinks they're shooting themselves in the foot...then part of me remembers Epcot has survived for this long on food booths

I'm mostly just disappointed that if I take the trip I'm planning for next March, it means neither TRON nor Guardians will even have a chance of being open

Even before they shuttered TRON and really before Covid, I had doubts that they would finish either of them this year. Mainly because they miss dates and budgets with every project. They all need to start taking project management classes and maybe some accounting courses as well. Even Ratatouille has taken longer to finish than needed although I can understand pushing it to this year with last year being such a mess. However, I would have opened it for Flower and Garden or on June 1 for true summer crowds.

It’s odd that someone as in tune with the parks as Len Testa would make such a statement about “putting guest satisfaction first” when the attendance caps at Disney have led to people being able to go on a respectable number of rides in a day while throughput is in the toilet because of distancing. Meanwhile, Saturdays and holiday periods at Universal are a triple-digit wait time mess.

That sort of analysis is literally his wheelhouse.

It’s as if Industrial Engineering is king at Disney while Marketing and Sales is king at Universal. Oh wait.....

I mean, if Len wants to sound like an insider then maybe he should be saying that it starts on October 3rd and not a Friday :shrug:

Last edited:
It’s odd that someone as in tune with the parks as Len Testa would make such a statement about “putting guest satisfaction first” when the attendance caps at Disney have led to people being able to go on a respectable number of rides in a day while throughput is in the toilet because of distancing. Meanwhile, Saturdays and holiday periods at Universal are a triple-digit wait time mess.

Adding a ride would improve guest satisfaction. The point he's making is he thinks Disney is letting projects slip into 2022 not because of financial reasons but to make 2022 look gangbusters over 2021 so people in high-ranking positions will then make bigger bonuses.

It’s as if Industrial Engineering is king at Disney while Marketing and Sales is king at Universal. Oh wait.....

Would have fooled me.

I mean, if Len wants to sound like an insider then maybe he should be saying that it starts on October 3rd and not a Friday :shrug:

"The Company's fiscal yearend is on the Saturday closest to September 30" source

"The Company's fiscal yearend is on the Saturday closest to September 30" source
The Saturday closest to 9/30 this year is 10/2, which means the next fiscal starts on 10/3.

Thanks for sourcing my point for me.

I guess my point is this, from what I know of people who work at Disney who get bonuses (and there are more there who get them than you would think, it’s not all super high up types) what Len is describing isn’t really a driver of how big it is. He’s just being snarky - they chose their strategy for 2021 and it is what it is, mostly based on distancing and not bonuses. Once you get way up it’s more equity-driven anyways, which as we’ve seen ahas absolutely nothing to do with year-over-year at Walt Disney World.

Last edited:
LOL anything to defend lazy business practices I guess
Except there are some people - myself included - that look at the lack of analytical rigor Universal put into their attendance caps and view that as a lazy business practice. “We’ll deal with it when people show up at the gate” is lazy. “We didn’t measure the new throughput of every ride to inform our attendance caps” is lazy.

These are two companies that choose to do things their own way. It’s not defending to point out that there actually is a reason to push it off, it just is what it is.

Incredible:

“Disney is being responsible (distancing!)”

“it’s good business”

“MUH 50th!”

It is what it is, but guests should be upset that there’s a new attraction purposefully being held on ice, and shareholder should be upset that an asset is not being utilized. Even the crepe stand is being held back.

Incredible:

“Disney is being responsible (distancing!)”

“it’s good business”

“MUH 50th!”

It is what it is, but guests should be upset that there’s a new attraction purposefully being held on ice, and shareholder should be upset that an asset is not being utilized. Even the crepe stand is being held back.

Busch Gardens Tampa fans: