Return of Donkey Meet and Greet | Inside Universal Forums

Return of Donkey Meet and Greet

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 11, 2012
Orlando Fl
Had an interesting run in with a member of Universal Creative by SS44 today. I joked and said I was looking forward to meeting Donkey, but you guys teared him down. His response was great. "I can't say much, but you can't keep a good Donkey down." I like Donkey though I know many found him obnoxious. If anybody hears something more substantial lets hear it.

i liked the meet and greet. the actor is always on point. i dont like Shrek 4D though. I hope its next to go really. I still can't believe they got rid of Hitchcock for that.

I heard a great interview with Chris Rock on NPR, He was great. My favorite quote (I am paraphrasing) , "I LOVE animation work. If you are a fat brunette girl you can be a sexy blonde Princess, If you are a fat white guy you can play a sexy Arabian Prince, if you are a black guy, you can play a Donkey or a Zebra. Duh, Duh, Dunhunhuh Afro Circus!"

I still can't believe they got rid of Hitchcock for that.

:cheers:

Shrek barely deserves the ride it has, to be honest. It just feels awkward for me. I've never really liked it. And now that Studios is getting all these exciting new attractions, I still stand on my idea that some sort of production-themed attraction should go in the place's namesake to anchor the theme of that section of the park.

Had an interesting run in with a member of Universal Creative by SS44 today. I joked and said I was looking forward to meeting Donkey, but you guys teared him down. His response was great. "I can't say much, but you can't keep a good Donkey down." I like Donkey though I know many found him obnoxious. If anybody hears something more substantial lets hear it.

He's coming back but it seems it will be over next to Kidszone.

:cheers:

Shrek barely deserves the ride it has, to be honest. It just feels awkward for me. I've never really liked it. And now that Studios is getting all these exciting new attractions, I still stand on my idea that some sort of production-themed attraction should go in the place's namesake to anchor the theme of that section of the park.

I would do anything for a production oriented attraction. Yes, anything.

I would do anything for a production oriented attraction. Yes, anything.

For what it's worth, Disaster should have been in Production Central considering a huge part of the attraction is the movie making aspect that culminates with the video shown on the trains.

For what it's worth, Disaster should have been in Production Central considering a huge part of the attraction is the movie making aspect that culminates with the video shown on the trains.

The problem with the production stuff is that it's just not compelling unless you're seeing ACTUAL filming. Especially with the onset of DVD/Blu Rays that show you everything about making movies that a theme park attractions can. There's just no reason to waste time on it in the parks, especially where there's no filming being done. It comes off fake and incredibly cheesy.

It might be a little less awkward when Shrek leaves sooner rather than later.

That's probably more wishful thinking more than anything right now. But if the long terms plan is to get rid of Shrek, then yeah, move it to somewhere that will be long lasting (though, I don't know if KidZone is exactly long lasting).

That's probably more wishful thinking more than anything right now. But if the long terms plan is to get rid of Shrek, then yeah, move it to somewhere that will be long lasting (though, I don't know if KidZone is exactly long lasting).

I think Shrek will be gone in the next 2 years.

I think Shrek will be gone in the next 2 years.

And replaced with what? Keeping in mind that the Resort is spending a ton of money already and would know be adding another attraction so soon after DMMM and Transformers. I just don't see that as feasible right now. Though, I have been known to be wrong.

Both Disaster and the Special Effects show in Hollywood are just... Lackluster. I agree. No one said they have to mock a filming company. They can just quite simply show the intensity, the endurance of filmmaking, show the history of shots, show how the most intricate shots were accomplished, show how CGI has grown to become such an integral part of so many films nowadays, whether blatant or hidden, etc. And the whole point of Universal Creative having 'creative' in their name is so that they can come up with new ways of portraying all of these key production values within a quieter attraction while still having exciting attractions every which where.

Universal Studios is becoming a park worth mentioning because of its more intense attractions, but many parts of it have such a charm that is required to envelop the park guest in a theme. Take, for instance, Sting Alley. It's literally just a walk through section of facades that nobody visits. But that's the beauty of it, it's the ethereal feeling of walking through the streets of New York at nighttime and seeing lit windows and dirty streets, but all alone. There are so many areas that don't mirror this feeling, and by randomly locating attractions throughout the park, the theme starts to blend together. I still think Universal can hold its park's themed integrity and show the key points of each section's nature while still having exciting attractions. Paired with getting rid of its many flawed sight lines into unintentionally bare backstage areas, and the park as a whole with multi-tiered themes starts to come alive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cwoolboy
And replaced with what? Keeping in mind that the Resort is spending a ton of money already and would know be adding another attraction so soon after DMMM and Transformers. I just don't see that as feasible right now. Though, I have been known to be wrong.

No clue.

And the investment we're seeing now should be the tip of the iceberg. IoA should be getting at least one attraction, FFL should be replaced, KidZone should be getting a complete redo, and I believe Shrek will be replaced all in the next 5 years. That's not even counting things like the potential water park.

The Shrek franchise has ended and DreamWorks Animation has stated that they've finished milking the ogre to death. Which can only mean the attraction is living on borrowed time.

No clue.

And the investment we're seeing now should be the tip of the iceberg. IoA should be getting at least one attraction, FFL should be replaced, KidZone should be getting a complete redo, and I believe Shrek will be replaced all in the next 5 years. That's not even counting things like the potential water park.

That's why I am hesitant to say that Shrek will be replaced so quickly. There's a lot of capital expenditure already happening at the parks. Does Shrek need to be replaced? Yes. I just don't know if they know with what yet as that theater is quite large and they could go down any number of roads. If they replace Shrek, it will be after WWoHP 2 opens up.

Shrek is out of date and it's time has come. The Studios has two needs to compensate Potter crowds. They first need more attractions to pull people away from the back of the park. You put in Despicable Me, Transformers, and a Shrek replacement up front and it would put a huge divide in crowd distribution. The second thing they need is more for the little guys which should be done with the Kidzone refresh after Potter opens. Something like 2017 sounds about right.