Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 94 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As much sense as it would be to change two lines and remove the end screen to make everything more cohesive, part of me just wants them to leave the cup of coffee ending, even after removing the queue videos. Let it just be weird!
Is it still up in the air as of right now? I assume this would also take out the fake out ending, since it probably wouldn't keep in theme with a more serious tone. I'm sure that's one of the most memorable parts of the ride for a lot of people, so it's absence would definitely be noticeable.

Is it still up in the air as of right now? I assume this would also take out the fake out ending, since it probably wouldn't keep in theme with a more serious tone. I'm sure that's one of the most memorable parts of the ride for a lot of people, so it's absence would definitely be noticeable.
The fake ending doesn't rely on anything in the queue video or anything based on the "film set" motif, so not sure it would need to go. It's more of a meta moment that is trying to say you can't escape Imhotep, even when you try to get off the ride! But I haven't heard anything about this scene, one way or another.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
The fake ending doesn't rely on anything in the queue video or anything based on the "film set" motif, so not sure it would need to go. It's more of a meta moment that is trying to say you can't escape Imhotep, even when you try to get off the ride! But I haven't heard anything about this scene, one way or another.
Singapore has a different scene in this place right? Of course I hope nothing about the ride other than new track changes in Florida, but it is a little concerning if Singapore is the example being looked at.

Singapore has a different scene in this place right? Of course I hope nothing about the ride other than new track changes in Florida, but it is a little concerning if Singapore is the example being looked at.
They still have the scene, but not played as a false ending. Imhotep is just there from the start of the scene and says his thing.

I think looking to Singapore for how it has the queue starts as the Museum of Antiquities instead of the movie set, and maybe borrowing a line or two for dialogue replacement, (perhaps away from Medjai and towards Book of the Dead,) is all that is needed.

If you want to remove Reggie from the ride, all you do is take away his red hat. No need to replace him with the guy laying down from Singapore, for example.

Reactions: HHN Maddux and Nico
They still have the scene, but not played as a false ending. Imhotep is just there from the start of the scene and says his thing.

I think looking to Singapore for how it has the queue starts as the Museum of Antiquities instead of the movie set, and maybe borrowing a line or two for dialogue replacement, (perhaps away from Medjai and towards Book of the Dead,) is all that is needed.

If you want to remove Reggie from the ride, all you do is take away his red hat. No need to replace him with the guy laying down from Singapore, for example.
Sounds fine enough, but I still really enjoy the movie set storyline. Made it feel like a parody of all the other rides that used to take place on a “hot set” inside the then working studios.

I'm sure they'd love to switch to an animatronic setup that doesn't have the maintenance issues that the current Imhotep has, but I'm sure they're more likely to mostly leave it alone and continue throwing resources at it.

I - along with many others - have made fun of the nonsensical and impenetrable nature of the attraction for some time. As the article points out, it frankly was never cohesive unless you paid close attention to the queue video while in the extended queue in the ride's early years... so I am personally fine with the speculated changes. However - and this is a big however - I think it is a huge shame that we would lose any Brendan Fraser presence in the process. I realize that the ride has outgrown its source material and has basically evolved into its own brand, but Fraser's mirth and charisma really do give the attraction a great deal of charm. (Even though Fraser is doing his self-referential, self-flagellating persona that he used as a punch line in Joe Dante's Looney Tunes movie.) Shooting new material probably with him isn't practical, but I wish they could find a way to preserve his role.

Horror Nights will never be the same. and entire train of intoxicated passengers simultaneously yelling "i wouldve enjoyed this interview more if I had gotten my cup of coffee!"
Honestly, it's going to be a lot more special when that happens If they remove it. Everybody else on the train will be confused as hell while those that know will be laughing their asses off.

I was definitely that guy, and I will continue to be that guy.

@Alicia Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but when we were there last week, I asked a TM if she knew any details besides new track. She said yes they were planning on laying down new track but also installing a whole new computer system for controlling the ride as the current system is pretty old.

As far as removing the cup of coffee video and movie set theme, yes that would indeed be sad. Universal seems hyper aware of their history and the fans nostalgia lately. While it all makes way too much sense to revamp it for first time riders like you said, they have to know there is a very large group of people they would be making angry by removing it. Every time we ride it, there is always someone else (besides us) that are saying that line at the end along with Brendan. That being said, on this trip my 8 year old daughter wanted to try riding it for the first time and we had to try and quickly explain Reggie as we went through the queue with her only seeing like 3 seconds of the queue video and then again explain the ending video.

It would be sad to see it change but if they did the ride experience would remain the same and I’m sure people would still say the line at the end. We also probably have countless YouTube POV’s if we need our fix of Brendan saying it. They better give us the golden cup of coffee in the treasure room though if they do take it away!

@Alicia Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but when we were there last week, I asked a TM if she knew any details besides new track. She said yes they were planning on laying down new track but also installing a whole new computer system for controlling the ride as the current system is pretty old.

As far as removing the cup of coffee video and movie set theme, yes that would indeed be sad. Universal seems hyper aware of their history and the fans nostalgia lately. While it all makes way too much sense to revamp it for first time riders like you said, they have to know there is a very large group of people they would be making angry by removing it. Every time we ride it, there is always someone else (besides us) that are saying that line at the end along with Brendan. That being said, on this trip my 8 year old daughter wanted to try riding it for the first time and we had to try and quickly explain Reggie as we went through the queue with her only seeing like 3 seconds of the queue video and then again explain the ending video.

It would be sad to see it change but if they did the ride experience would remain the same and I’m sure people would still say the line at the end. We also probably have countless YouTube POV’s if we need our fix of Brendan saying it. They better give us the golden cup of coffee in the treasure room though if they do take it away!
I don’t necessarily disagree with most of this, but I also just feel it’s a change (queue, Coffee) that isn’t necessary at this point in time. It seems small but to me definitely adds a lot to the ride so some fun is taken away here.

Mainly, one of the LAST attractions in Universal STUDIOS Florida to take place in a STUDIO.

Obvious bias aside, that last point bugs me a bit. It’s like they’re trying to make USF less appealing for me.

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts