Sapphire Falls Resort | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Sapphire Falls Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Looks nice, but I think the theme is a tad bland. I would have much rather seen them go with the "Old Hollywood" or some of the other proposed Universal hotel themes I've seen bandied about. At the same time, Skip makes a good point in that the themes DO have to (or should at least) match up in a somewhat coherent means.

Call me crazy, but isn't there supposed to be another skywalk/overpass to lead from Sapphire Falls to Royal Pacific for the convention/meeting facilities? I don't see that connector in this concept art.

Edit:

It would seem the new skywalk/pedestrian access I'm thinking of is a tiny one that will connect the existing RPR to the new RPR expansion on the south end of the property. However, other documents seem to hint that there will be a pedestrian bridge added between SF and RPR. Am I reading that incorrectly? If SF is getting expanded water taxi service, my guess is that the boats and/or sidewalks will be the connector to the 2 hotels, with the Garden Bridge connecting SF to CBBR.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but I think the theme is a tad bland. I would have much rather seen them go with the "Old Hollywood" or some of the other proposed Universal hotel themes I've seen bandied about. At the same time, Skip makes a good point in that the themes DO have to (or should at least) match up in a somewhat coherent means.

Call me crazy, but isn't there supposed to be another skywalk/overpass to lead from Sapphire Falls to Royal Pacific for the convention/meeting facilities? I don't see that connector in this concept art.

Edit:

It would seem the new skywalk/pedestrian access I'm thinking of is a tiny one that will connect the existing RPR to the new RPR expansion on the south end of the property. However, other documents seem to hint that there will be a pedestrian bridge added between SF and RPR. Am I reading that incorrectly? If SF is getting expanded water taxi service, my guess is that the boats and/or sidewalks will be the connector to the 2 hotels, with the Garden Bridge connecting SF to CBBR.

I believe there will be an indoor corridor connecting the convention spaces of RPR and SF.

I think Old Hollywood would be a great theme for a more upscale luxury on-site hotel. Not saying the current on-site hotels aren't luxurious, but you know what I mean... Maybe for the 6th? It would be a good progression after building two moderate/value hotels. I'd love it if Universal had an Old Hollywood hotel complete with a Broadway style theater, a la Vegas. Maybe with a resident Cirque show, too? Would be pretty sweet!

I think it's too early to judge on the theme since all we've basically gotten are birds eye views. Dying to see the lobby and pool concept art because that can seriously change the entire thing. I personally like the blue one because it fits it's name and I love all the different shades of blue together. Looks incredibly relaxing. The orange one looks to much like cabana for my tastes

I'm trying to understand some of you but why does it matter if this resort would have had a completely different theme. It's a theme park resort anyways. If your looking out from a cabana bay room and you see a building in the distance that looks like wilderness lodge, does it really matter. It's not like we are talking about an island clashing themes with another island at IOA. As long as each resort looks good from inside the grounds, who cares. That's what makes it fun. Cruise from an Italian village (PortoFino) then passing by the hard rock, seeing a wooden fort hotel, ending up in the pacific and going back in time to cabana bay. It's called variety.

I'm trying to understand some of you but why does it matter if this resort would have had a completely different theme. It's a theme park resort anyways. If your looking out from a cabana bay room and you see a building in the distance that looks like wilderness lodge, does it really matter. It's not like we are talking about an island clashing themes with another island at IOA. As long as each resort looks good from inside the grounds, who cares. That's what makes it fun. Cruise from an Italian village (PortoFino) then passing by the hard rock, seeing a wooden fort hotel, ending up in the pacific and going back in time to cabana bay. It's called variety.

What you call variety I call messy. Take the Crescent Lake area of WDW. 3 great, coherently themed resorts in Yatch, Beach, and Boardwalk, thrown off by the gargantuant ugliness that is the Swan and Dolphin.

Exactly!!! When it comes to resorts themes, they're supposed to be varied. Look at Disney with every resort being completely different in every hotel, adds many reasons to come back and try something new. Rather stay at two completely different themed resorts than two gray buildings that looks exactly the same for continuities sake

- - - Updated - - -

What you call variety I call messy. Take the Crescent Lake area of WDW. 3 great, coherently themed resorts in Yatch, Beach, and Boardwalk, thrown off by the gargantuant ugliness that is the Swan and Dolphin.

I think the swan and dolphin's looks are gorgeous. Sure it's a bit different but it still kinda fits with it's luxury vacation vibe. But It's a resort so who cares?!?!

Exactly!!! When it comes to resorts themes, they're supposed to be varied. Look at Disney with every resort being completely different in every hotel, adds many reasons to come back and try something new. Rather stay at two completely different themed resorts than two gray buildings that looks exactly the same for continuities sake?

First, I'd hardly call all these three the same. This may be similar to RPR, but considering it's literally connected that's to be expected. Cabana Bay as a general "beach" theme, but I'd hardly say it's exactly the same. The modern, more metropolitain and 50's aesthetic clearly puts it in a league of its own. They have similar touches, but to say they "look exactly the same" is ridiculous.

I think the swan and dolphin's looks are gorgeous. Sure it's a bit different but it still kinda fits with it's luxury vacation vibe. It's a resort who cares?!?!

It doesn't fit at all. :lol:

You don't care. I do. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

Looks nice, but I think the theme is a tad bland.

I would agree and I think the majority of us on this board would like to see some type of unique, over-the-top design for a hotel…

but…

The many variances on a "tropical" theme at UO are not due to lack of imagination. The majority of Americans are vacationing from a colder climate and want a tropical theme. That's what were told a vacation is -- pools and lush landscapes and palm trees and frozen drinks. So I totally get why they did a Caribbean theme.

I think UO can get a little more experimental with themes down the line.

I think Old Hollywood would be a great theme for a more upscale luxury on-site hotel. Not saying the current on-site hotels aren't luxurious, but you know what I mean... Maybe for the 6th? It would be a good progression after building two moderate/value hotels. I'd love it if Universal had an Old Hollywood hotel complete with a Broadway style theater, a la Vegas. Maybe with a resident Cirque show, too? Would be pretty sweet!

Yeah, I'll agree with you there and I love the idea of an attached theater venue with a resident show...but with Blue Man Group already at the resort (and allegedly struggling with ticket sales, or it was at one time), I'm not sure there'd be a market for a new show like that, unless it was a constant rotation of different, limited-time engagements. Even then, would people on vacation want to go see a Broadway-type show at an Orlando theme park resort? Would Blue Man be replaced? Could the resort sustain two major shows at the same time? Many questions come to my mind. Great idea though!

I believe there will be an indoor corridor connecting the convention spaces of RPR and SF.

See, that's what I thought...there would be an enclosed walkway ("skywalk") between the new RPR expansion and the new SF hotel, but I didn't see anything depicting that in the plans or the limited artwork that's been leaked so far.

Last edited:
Blue Man Group already at the resort (and allegedly struggling with ticket sales, or it was at one time),

See, that's what I thought...there would be an enclosed walkway ("skywalk") between the new RPR expansion and the new SF hotel, but I didn't see anything depicting that in the plans or the limited artwork that's been leaked so far.

FWIW, Blue Man was never struggling with ticket sales.

As for the walkway, it's out of frame in the artwork they've released at this time. It would be in the bottom left of the overhead view.

The walyways for the resort will connect to the Garden Walk being constructed for Cabana Bay.

I am not even a huge fan of Cirque shows, but one themed to old Universal movies, could be pretty epic. Imagine the Universal Monsters segment :drool:

First, I'd hardly call all these three the same. This may be similar to RPR, but considering it's literally connected that's to be expected. Cabana Bay as a general "beach" theme, but I'd hardly say it's exactly the same. The modern, more metropolitain and 50's aesthetic clearly puts it in a league of its own. They have similar touches, but to say they "look exactly the same" is ridiculous.

It doesn't fit at all. :lol:

You don't care. I do. That's why there's chocolate and vanilla.
Oh I didn't mean exactly the same as in the resorts at universal, just an example with no real basis. That's fine but the uni resorts are already so varied that there never was an over lining theme to begin with unlike the beach chain at disney. I don't see the reason to fret over the surounding themes especially with the literal hard rock hotel not too far from it

One's based on the South Pacific, the other of the Caribbean. They might have tropical themes, but they're both very different themes.

Well it kinda resembles every apartment complex built in the last ten years. :lol:

It will still probably look top notch once said and done and not worth arguing over. But I feel all of the other hotels are truly unique, but this one is RPR buildings with CBBR paint :doh:

I get what is being said about them blending, but I am on the side that they are not required to blend. I don't think the views matter all that much, and those who do would get an interior facing room anyways. I don't think it would ruin anyone's stay to look out the window and realize it is a different hotel any more than someone with a view of a high school :pixiedust:

Also I am down with multiple tropical designs, as that is very desirable for tourists. I just think the buildings themselves are kinda bland.

Last edited:
Cabana Bay is not tropical themed at all. It's based off of Wildwood, NJ which is certainly no tropical paradise.

A couple of things I think I noticed in the renderings. It appears on the left side of the rendering that a large parking garage is being hinted at, as well as the elevated, climate controlled walkway to the convention center.

SR-X2.png

Last edited: