Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

I've dreamed for many years of a themed hotel for BGT.
But I just don't see it happening, not now at least for obvious reasons.
Does anyone have some maps showing what land SWO and BGT actually own around the park where they could even put a hotel? Im sure there is land for Busch but I think Seas is really sparse on land there in Orlando.
The parks themselves had a presentation showing the available land, including land marked for hotels. I’ll look around for them later this week.

So is a Hotel all but confirmed? Or is a partner type thing like they have with Hilton?
Well, they later announced a partnership, but there was significant radio silence even before COVID. They were originally drawn up in 2015 under almost completely different leadership. It still gives a good idea of the property they have, including where they plan to redevelop first.

Just found the Tampa and Orlando one from an old article here: SeaWorld Reveals Future Plans For Its Parks Including Orlando and Tampa | CitySurfing Orlando

swo-investormap2015.jpg

swo-investormapbusch2015.jpg

Does anyone now anything about what is happening with Project Penguin? I guess that since this ride was rumored to be where the educational pavilions are, nothing would happen until after HoS at the earliest?

Does anyone now anything about what is happening with Project Penguin? I guess that since this ride was rumored to be where the educational pavilions are, nothing would happen until after HoS at the earliest?
Project has gone silent. That and Jethro at BGT are still going to happen from what I've heard, but when is the question.

I'm hoping that the new offerings deliver and we can get back on track

I'd guess sometime after the first of the year we may see something happen on this. They had setup construction fence just before the shutdown, but it was removed since then. I think there were even a couple of track sections fabricated at the factory in Ohio before the shutdown, but I have no idea where they may be now. They're not on site, but I believe they had received a shipment from Europe pre-shutdown which I'd guess might be some of the operating system components.

I'd guess sometime after the first of the year we may see something happen on this. They had setup construction fence just before the shutdown, but it was removed since then. I think there were even a couple of track sections fabricated at the factory in Ohio before the shutdown, but I have no idea where they may be now. They're not on site, but I believe they had received a shipment from Europe pre-shutdown which I'd guess might be some of the operating system components.
It's definitely still happening, I'm sure they want the park fixed up come 2024

Now that the cat is out of the bag and we're getting (or seem to be) a launched stand-up for 2024, and SW embracing the moniker of Orlando roller coaster capital, what do we realistically think is the future?
The way I see it we have three "dead" things: Turtle Trek, Antarctica and Wild Arctic. The Wild Arctic area just had Ice Breaker, so this probably will be the last to be replaced. Antarctica is right by Kraken and JTA, so they could wait on that and perhaps put a coaster where Turtle Trek is, perhaps even use the building as an indoor queue, or even have it where the indoor space right by the aquaria is just for viewing and the higher space is a queue for the ride.
As for types of coaster, one thing we no longer have in Orlando is an inverted coaster, though of course Florida as a whole still needs a Wing Coaster too. Other thing that I could see that would be, especially for the Antarctica location would be a Cobra Curse style coaster, just use the Antarctica ride building as a queue.

Now that the cat is out of the bag and we're getting (or seem to be) a launched stand-up for 2024, and SW embracing the moniker of Orlando roller coaster capital, what do we realistically think is the future?
The way I see it we have three "dead" things: Turtle Trek, Antarctica and Wild Arctic. The Wild Arctic area just had Ice Breaker, so this probably will be the last to be replaced. Antarctica is right by Kraken and JTA, so they could wait on that and perhaps put a coaster where Turtle Trek is, perhaps even use the building as an indoor queue, or even have it where the indoor space right by the aquaria is just for viewing and the higher space is a queue for the ride.
As for types of coaster, one thing we no longer have in Orlando is an inverted coaster, though of course Florida as a whole still needs a Wing Coaster too. Other thing that I could see that would be, especially for the Antarctica location would be a Cobra Curse style coaster, just use the Antarctica ride building as a queue.
A coaster immediately in front of the animal rehabilitation center is probably not the best idea. I already think Ice Breaker near Shamu Stadium is a little iffy ethically.

Last edited:

I feel like Turtle Trek and the penguin half of Antarctica can limp along as animal exhibits for the foreseeable future. AFAIK Trek still used for sleepovers. so even if the theater sits empty, still a revenue generator. Wild Arctic feels like the biggest waste of space of the three, tho I don't know that they need another coaster on top of Ice Breaker. Just needs something, dark ride, show, I don't really care. But the #1 priority has to be JTA. The basic ride is sound, transform that back into a true E-ticket coaster at a fraction of the cost of a new build.

I feel like Turtle Trek and the penguin half of Antarctica can limp along as animal exhibits for the foreseeable future. AFAIK Trek still used for sleepovers. so even if the theater sits empty, still a revenue generator. Wild Arctic feels like the biggest waste of space of the three, tho I don't know that they need another coaster on top of Ice Breaker. Just needs something, dark ride, show, I don't really care. But the #1 priority has to be JTA. The basic ride is sound, transform that back into a true E-ticket coaster at a fraction of the cost of a new build.
I feel like the park needs some non coaster updates like some of the other locations have gotten.

A stand-up coaster is on my to do list so when I visit Epic Universe in 2025 I also will fit in Sea World.
The park clearly is betting on becoming a coaster park and although I'm happy with this addition it's disappointing it starts to become a one trick pony.

A stand-up coaster is on my to do list so when I visit Epic Universe in 2025 I also will fit in Sea World.
The park clearly is betting on becoming a coaster park and although I'm happy with this addition it's disappointing it starts to become a one trick pony.

FWIW also doubling down on being an EPCOT-style festival spot/drinking park. And Sesame Street so good still right there in the "best park for the pre-K crowd" convo. Definitely looking for niches were it can compete.

FWIW also doubling down on being an EPCOT-style festival spot/drinking park. And Sesame Street so good still right there in the "best park for the pre-K crowd" convo. Definitely looking for niches were it can compete.
I think they have found where they fit in as far as the Orlando scene goes. Being a coaster park fits the bill for now but sooner or later they are going to have to come up with more things to keep people coming back.

The festival stuff is good and helps boost attendance. Overall I’m happy to see the Sea World parks bounce back to a stable position.

For me personally all the food festivals in parks don't do a thing for me, I just eat One Meal a Day and that is it lol.
Sesame Street looks great but I'm not the target demographic but I look forwards to do all the coasters I haven't been on (there are about 4) so it has been a while.

For me personally all the food festivals in parks don't do a thing for me, I just eat One Meal a Day and that is it lol.
Sesame Street looks great but I'm not the target demographic but I look forwards to do all the coasters I haven't been on (there are about 4) so it has been a while.
The SeaWorld food festivals used to be great when it was actually a value compared to Epcot with huge portions and lanyard punches that were about $3 each. Now everything is $8-10, the lanyards are a joke, and the food is questionable quality and portion sizes. And beer prices have gotten absolutely absurd - with the 5% surcharge plus tax and tip they have to be some of the most expensive beers on earth outside of something like a Vegas club or NYC bar.

The SeaWorld food festivals used to be great when it was actually a value compared to Epcot with huge portions and lanyard punches that were about $3 each. Now everything is $8-10, the lanyards are a joke, and the food is questionable quality and portion sizes. And beer prices have gotten absolutely absurd - with the 5% surcharge plus tax and tip they have to be some of the most expensive beers on earth outside of something like a Vegas club or NYC bar.

$21.99 for a beef skewer

I have to assume a correction will take place soon, barely see anyone in line for the food booths.