SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 111 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I understand this is all true, but then I see European parks with lower or comparable attendance (like Toverland or Efteling) managing to do much more elaborate rides and wonder what prevents SeaWorld from doing the same.

I assume a mixture of being happy with their post-COVID niche -- rare are the weekends I-Drive and Central Florida aren't backed up -- and being a bit gun-shy after Antarctica (and arguably JTA before it) flopped so hard. The old "if ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to management. If EU cannibalizes from them -- and I think they have more to fear than Disney -- or if the Mouse opens up AP sales again, things may change, but for now they're doing fine on the current coaster-festival-Sesame Street course.

I understand this is all true, but then I see European parks with lower or comparable attendance (like Toverland or Efteling) managing to do much more elaborate rides and wonder what prevents SeaWorld from doing the same.
If you're referring to coasters, then yes, I agree they should add more theming elements to their coaster (i.e. Cobras Curse)

If you're referring to a dark ride, those don't move the attendance needle in the same way a coaster does...especially in Orlando where everything will be compared to Disney/Universal

People will say "well then just build them to Disney/Universal standards", not understanding that those rides are hundred of millions of dollars, more than all of SWP's spends combined yearly on expansions, and SWP's don't have the IPs to throw around

They CAN, but if they do they are inevitably inferior to what Disney and Universal can do just down the street. Also, the additional expenditure is rarely justified with a comparable attendance bump. Building a minimally themed coaster is the better investment for them.

And, most importantly, as a publicly traded company the most important thing is the bottom line. They need to deliver dividends to stockholders. I'm not sure what the ownership of Toverland and Efteling is and how it's structured, but the current SeaWorld model (and almost all the US theme parks and chains) is drive attendance to squeeze more out of guests to create bigger profits. Some of the smaller parks and chains are either not publicly traded or family run and can do what they please without the threat of selling the assets to build condos if they don't turn huge profits.

The old Busch Entertainment run parks always turned a decent profit, but they were more about building goodwill and brand loyalty. The beer always drove profits for the entire company, and if the parks contributed as well (which they did) great. If they had a bad year it was a tax write off. Now they HAVE to make more money each year and reduce costs each year or the shareholders revolt and change the board or sell off.

On the most recent earnings call the company announced one new hotel for 2025 and a second in 2026 - seems like one of the two may be Orlando. There are also people within the company pushing for a SeaWorld Abu Dhabi-fication of the US parks, with new themed integrative animal experiences and rides, however if this happens it seems it will be more a second half of this decade type of thing.
Yess to a hotel and becoming more like SeaWorld Abu Dhabi. For the past 4-5 years SeaWorld has essentially given up completely on anything to do with theming, the ocean, animals, education, or any combination of those things and the Abu Dhabi park is a perfect demonstration of what the US parks' future should look like. And a hotel is a no-brainer at any of the parks, either because there are scant decent hotels nearby (e.g. BGT) or because they need something to keep guests on property and encourage multi-day multi-park visits (e.g. SWO).

Getting a brand new ride that'll involve altering/demoing the ride building and whatnot is probably not cheaper than getting a new set of batteries for the vehicles...but I think that's ultimately a moot point. The fact we have the rumors of them building a new coaster rather than getting a new set of batteries tells us plenty on how they feel about Antarctica...it's not worth saving.
Yet they saved Tidal Twister :bonk:
I know a lot of people on here were unimpressed by Antarctica but average guests seemed to like it; it always was one of the longest lines in the park, and you could always overhear people expressing their disappointment that it was closed post-covid. But regardless, my biggest gripe is just that this was their only indoor ride of any sort, the only major ride that wasn't a thrill ride, the only non-water ride that wasn't a roller coaster, and arguably their last remaining themed ride, and now it's being demolished to build yet another (probably unthemed) outdoor roller coaster. If they thought Empire wasn't worth saving and were willing to spend money replacing it, I wish they would've used the money to build a better dark ride. It wouldn't necessarily be the most elaborate in Orlando, but considering Sea World's new target demographic is local families who can't afford Disney and Universal, I don't think it would need to be as long as it gives families something reasonably entertaining to do in the park.

Scott Ross.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Yess to a hotel and becoming more like SeaWorld Abu Dhabi. For the past 4-5 years SeaWorld has essentially given up completely on anything to do with theming, the ocean, animals, education, or any combination of those things and the Abu Dhabi park is a perfect demonstration of what the US parks' future should look like. And a hotel is a no-brainer at any of the parks, either because there are scant decent hotels nearby (e.g. BGT) or because they need something to keep guests on property and encourage multi-day multi-park visits (e.g. SWO).
I wouldn't say they've given up on those things, sure we got a new ride at each park that was on a shoestring budget

But the animals and educational aspects still exist, if anything the updated shows in Orlando have shown their leaning *more* on education and less on theatrics

It's also kind of difficult to compare parks like SW Abu Dhabi and Tokyo DisneySea to here, as the financial interests are very very different

I personally think nice landscaping, theming, etc will return in future projects

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I don't think Something like the sesame street dark ride would be out of Sea World's budget and would be a good return on investment. I don't think a decent flying theater would break the bank and those are huge crowd pleasers. They could do a Rudolph dark ride in the wild arctic section and that would be a big hit. I think the problem for sea world is that they don't have a history of maintaining dark rides so they don't even trust themselves when it comes to building one as a long term investment.

I don't think Something like the sesame street dark ride would be out of Sea World's budget and would be a good return on investment. I don't think a decent flying theater would break the bank and those are huge crowd pleasers. They could do a Rudolph dark ride in the wild arctic section and that would be a big hit. I think the problem for sea world is that they don't have a history of maintaining dark rides so they don't even trust themselves when it comes to building one as a long term investment.

That's the problem. They can find the budget to build a new dark ride, but they just don't have the motivation to maintain things.

The only dark ride they should pursue is Sesame Street since that IP is easily marketable and popular. Other than that, SeaWorld's marketing team will drive themselves crazy when they find out they can't put "WORLD'S LARGEST" something on a billboard to market a dark ride.
I would agree that an interactive Sesame ride is the way to go for sure

In fact, I would put one at each park

Also a flying theater would be fun

My problem with a flying theater is what exactly can SeaWorld offer that would differentiate it from Soarin/Flight of Passage/Fallon/etc.?
Legoland provides a different style from both and it works

True, Legoland is a bit further from UO and Disney than SW

Perhaps it would work better at BGT

Legoland provides a different style from both and it works

True, Legoland is a bit further from UO and Disney than SW

Perhaps it would work better at BGT
Worth pointing out that Legoland's Flying Theatre is also themed to The Lego Movie. Unless we're talking a Sesame or Rudolph Flying Theatre haha.

Reactions: shiekra38
Worth pointing out that Legoland's Flying Theatre is also themed to The Lego Movie. Unless we're talking a Sesame or Rudolph Flying Theatre haha.
Haha for sure

But something like what they did for Kraken VR might be fun, voyaging into the depths of the deep sea or something

Infiltrate wherever the trench where Mariah Carey hides all copies of the film 'Glitter'

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere
Haha for sure

But something like what they did for Kraken VR might be fun, voyaging into the depths of the deep sea or something

Infiltrate wherever the trench where Mariah Carey hides all copies of the film 'Glitter'

A flying theater that shows ocean scenes, including the great barrier reef, or maybe POV of a dolphin/killer whale. The motion could replicate what it feels like to be in the water. I often thought that this would work for DAK but Sea World could do it as well.

Last edited:
My problem with a flying theater is what exactly can SeaWorld offer that would differentiate it from Soarin/Flight of Passage/Fallon/etc.?
These rides are usually tremendously popular and can be be changed based on the film. Nature and the oceans are a great subject for sea world. I would argue Fallon is not a true flying theater. Busch gardens had this type of thing in Williamsburg and it was a failure long term while Disney world needed to build an additional theater due to demand for Soarin. If Sea world built a ride in this style it would not matter if Disney had the same thing. Disney is so expensive people would welcome a park that would give a similar experience for less. I like rollercoasters but want sea world to build these rides.

Reactions: Thatguyoverwhere