SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Orlando's Future Plans

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Orlando isn't full or anything y'all. The solution is build more and denser housing.

You fix transportation issues by forming a grid, building housing near employment centers, and funding a transportation system, which can be as cheap as a higher frequency bus network. There's been multiple studies for grid-ing the I-Drive area, and the ability to do it is still there. The planners just need to actually be listened to.

Orlando isn't full or anything y'all. The solution is build more and denser housing.

You fix transportation issues by forming a grid, building housing near employment centers, and funding a transportation system, which can be as cheap as a higher frequency bus network. There's been multiple studies for grid-ing the I-Drive area, and the ability to do it is still there. The planners just need to actually be listened to.

Something something FEMA camp :rolleyes:

I don't think the problem is that there are no legitimate, workable solutions. The problem is that I have absolutely zero confidence that the people in charge of enacting those legitimate, workable solutions will do so. That's as true in Orange County, California as it is in Orange County, Florida.

California just enacted the most widespread compulsive up-zoning and permit expedition legistlation in their recent history. There's no reason why we can't do the same. Be sure to consider upzoning and transportation related positions when voting in your next local election and state election.

Also, our local politicians have been unusually supportive of expanding transportation and housing affordability recently. We, as a population in Central Florida, just need to actually vote for those policies, like the half-penny tax for county-wide transportation initiatives.

Reactions: OrlLover

It’s not this simple though. Let’s say 3,000 apartments get built by Epic Universe and SeaWorld (there isn’t enough buildable land to do that, but hypothetically). All of those people need to send their kids to school somewhere. All of those people need to go to a grocery store. Saying they can just grid the I-Drive area doesn’t take into account the realities of who owns what land and not being able to build across wetlands. There’s a reason why all the housing is getting built out in Davenport and Winter Garden.

When I said Orlando has serious geographic challenges... for public transportation to work, the entire area has to be dense and there has to be a substantial benefit to using it (aka, avoiding the cost to park in NYC/London and bridge tolls/congestion fee). But also the parts of those cities where public transportation works best are a lot smaller than Orlando. Take DC for example. The entire subway system would fit between the ChampionsGate exit and downtown. The "central" part would fit on WDW property. Riding from one end of a line to the other takes around 60-75 minutes. Your average speed on an adequate public transportation system is actually quite slow, which doesn't work in Orlando where things are 15-20 miles apart. You'd literally need to fold the city over itself. And nothing is crossing the Butler Chain of Lakes to connect Winter Garden to Dr. Phillips except two-lane Chase Road.

Between capital and operating budget, $300 million a year gets you Lynx levels of public transportation. Literally... that's their 2024 budget.

Sorry, keep drifting from SeaWorld... I'm the one that started this, my bad.

It’s not this simple though. Let’s say 3,000 apartments get built by Epic Universe and SeaWorld (there isn’t enough buildable land to do that, but hypothetically). All of those people need to send their kids to school somewhere. All of those people need to go to a grocery store. Saying they can just grid the I-Drive area doesn’t take into account the realities of who owns what land and not being able to build across wetlands. There’s a reason why all the housing is getting built out in Davenport and Winter Garden.

When I said Orlando has serious geographic challenges... for public transportation to work, the entire area has to be dense and there has to be a substantial benefit to using it (aka, avoiding the cost to park in NYC/London and bridge tolls/congestion fee). But also the parts of those cities where public transportation works best are a lot smaller than Orlando. Take DC for example. The entire subway system would fit between the ChampionsGate exit and downtown. The "central" part would fit on WDW property. Riding from one end of a line to the other takes around 60-75 minutes. Your average speed on an adequate public transportation system is actually quite slow, which doesn't work in Orlando where things are 15-20 miles apart. You'd literally need to fold the city over itself. And nothing is crossing the Butler Chain of Lakes to connect Winter Garden to Dr. Phillips except two-lane Chase Road.

Between capital and operating budget, $300 million a year gets you Lynx levels of public transportation. Literally... that's their 2024 budget.

Sorry, keep drifting from SeaWorld... I'm the one that started this, my bad.
I could have sworn this was being discussed in another thread a while ago.

Maybe you can continue this conversation there?

My last comment on this b/c we're derailing.

The solutions to the problem are not unique. Those people need to go to school, shop, and get groceries, well then create policies that encourage a grocery store to locate there and place a school nearby. I'm heavily simplifying how you approach stuff like this, but if you don't think the status quo is working then look to change it. From a citizen perspective, that's just voting and voicing your support when you're able.

As y'all can tell, I have many opinions and love chatting on urban planning like this, so feel free to dm me or start a thread if we want to keep going.

Reactions: Blue
My last comment on this b/c we're derailing.

The solutions to the problem are not unique. Those people need to go to school, shop, and get groceries, well then create policies that encourage a grocery store to locate there and place a school nearby. I'm heavily simplifying how you approach stuff like this, but if you don't think the status quo is working then look to change it. From a citizen perspective, that's just voting and voicing your support when you're able.

As y'all can tell, I have many opinions and love chatting on urban planning like this, so feel free to dm me or start a thread if we want to keep going.
Also keep in mind water management. It isn't as easy as here is open land lets max out the building. There has to be so much swamp, retention ponds, etc. It isn't like most cities where you can just build wherever you want. The most built out areas were built before these restrictions and flooding is a huge issue in those areas. So like someone said about it isn't just housing, it is grocery, schools, fire, police, etc. There needs to be room for all of that and don't know there is enough land close to the parks for that type of infrastructure.

Reactions: SeventyOne
SeaWorld continues their streak of terrible decision making, one of the mimes (Lynn) left the company after an incident with security. (He would ride the bike to work everyday, but some security employee that day didn't know.)

I am ready to see the downfall of this park thanks to management.

Apparently chain wide tipping is rolling out to all the POS systems in the coming weeks as a supplement to TM wages. Tips apparently will be pooled and distributed to the TMs working in the specific location.

• Wow
Reactions: IzzyB
Apparently chain wide tipping is rolling out to all the POS systems in the coming weeks as a supplement to TM wages. Tips apparently will be pooled and distributed to the TMs working in the specific location.
Ah yes, people will definitely be happy to tip after paying $22 (after tax/fee) for chicken tenders.

Part of me thinks this is some sort of effort to "switch" employee wages to being tipped since it's a lower wage?

Reactions: SeventyOne
Ah yes, people will definitely be happy to tip after paying $22 (after tax/fee) for chicken tenders.

Part of me thinks this is some sort of effort to "switch" employee wages to being tipped since it's a lower wage?
Supposedly they are going to pay employees an additional $2.55 an hour, but more if the tips exceed that.