SeaWorld San Diego | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, I went on Monday, and had a similar experience. I had gone before, and Emperor was running two train ops, and the wait wasn't too bad. But with one, it's pretty slow.

And same with Manta. It's crazy that one position has to manage lines, guests exiting the ride, and checking restraints. Ridiculous.

Electric Eel was a bit better, but when I rode it, even Atlantis was only loading one boat at a time.

Not to mention that most of the Fresstyle Coke machines have been removed and replaced with fountains. And I tried to watch the Joyous Celebration show, but left half-way through because of how bad it is. Not that the performers were bad...they were doing the best they could (even though there were only 8 of them total, which felt understaffed), but this "family friendly" show was pretty clearly geared towards the 10 and under age group only. Not much for teens and adults here. You know it's bad when they invite people on stage to hula hoop for 2 minutes, and this is supposed to be their feature show.

On the plus sides, for what it's worth, Tidal Twister is now more reliable, and the holiday vibe was nice with holiday music piped in throughout the park. Also enjoyed the holiday store at the Explorer's Cafe area.

They didn't use the exit station but instead had the guests exit out on the entrance station

Yikes! Is there something wrong with the exit? That's how they're running Jaguar for now, but at least they have an excuse since the exit is currently closed due to Fiesta Village construction. They have guests exit to the left and out an emergency exit before loading the next group, but they're not waiting for the other train to return to load the empty train.

And I tried to watch the Joyous Celebration show, but left half-way through because of how bad it is. Not that the performers were bad...they were doing the best they could (even though there were only 8 of them total, which felt understaffed), but this "family friendly" show was pretty clearly geared towards the 10 and under age group only. Not much for teens and adults here. You know it's bad when they invite people on stage to hula hoop for 2 minutes, and this is supposed to be their feature show.

I felt the same with DJ Lance Rock for Knott's summer show. It was definitely geared towards toddlers and pre-teens. I miss Snoopy's Beach Blanket Beagle. That was a show for all ages.

Yeah, I went on Monday, and had a similar experience. I had gone before, and Emperor was running two train ops, and the wait wasn't too bad. But with one, it's pretty slow.

And same with Manta. It's crazy that one position has to manage lines, guests exiting the ride, and checking restraints. Ridiculous.

Electric Eel was a bit better, but when I rode it, even Atlantis was only loading one boat at a time.

Not to mention that most of the Fresstyle Coke machines have been removed and replaced with fountains. And I tried to watch the Joyous Celebration show, but left half-way through because of how bad it is. Not that the performers were bad...they were doing the best they could (even though there were only 8 of them total, which felt understaffed), but this "family friendly" show was pretty clearly geared towards the 10 and under age group only. Not much for teens and adults here. You know it's bad when they invite people on stage to hula hoop for 2 minutes, and this is supposed to be their feature show.

On the plus sides, for what it's worth, Tidal Twister is now more reliable, and the holiday vibe was nice with holiday music piped in throughout the park. Also enjoyed the holiday store at the Explorer's Cafe area.
My rule of Thumb with Sea World is I get there when the park opens, ride what I want...then do shows/exhibits the rest of the day

Since going a few times since covid ended...yeah they are really bad attraction loading. The Jellyfish swings take what feels like forever before the ride even starts, and im not blaming the workers but management

My rule of Thumb with Sea World is I get there when the park opens, ride what I want...then do shows/exhibits the rest of the day

Since going a few times since covid ended...yeah they are really bad attraction loading. The Jellyfish swings take what feels like forever before the ride even starts, and im not blaming the workers but management
I'll never forget the time I visited in July and we got so desperate to ride something that we stood in line for Riptide Rescue (the lackluster spinner wedged into a dead end in the back of the park) for a full hour. There were maybe 50 people ahead of us, and the singular ride operator was running it for at most 30 seconds per ride, and it still took an hour. That had to be the slowest operation I've seen on any ride ever, but it was still the shortest line in the park. The fact that Scott Ross thinks one person is enough to operate an entire ride on a peak day speaks volumes to how much he knows about running a theme park or any sort of experience-based business.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
The fact that Scott Ross thinks one person is enough to operate an entire ride on a peak day speaks volumes to how much he knows about running a theme park or any sort of experience-based business.

I know this is an old post, but it made me think about how Knott's Berry Farm approaches attraction operation. It's, uh, the same picture!

Coming to this: They publicly spoke in the tour that they intend to add a lot of scenic. One of the scenic's they have planned even is the Wild Arctic Helicopter as a example.

Going to another thing, seems 2024 will be focused on Bay of Play!

Great news a around Then

I loved that play area when I was a kid, never ever went to another play area as a kid and had that much fun
Glad the next generation will have an updated version of that

Last edited:

So seems like a good year for Sea World

1) New play area/new area at Bay of Play
2) Arctic coaster (first three launch system on the west coast)
3) 3 Shows coming this summer, including the Bay theater which hasn't been open since covid, so almost 4 years.
4) SS Place getting some updates (they didn't say what)

That along with new restaurants added last year with better quality food, Its why in May I'll be going and getting AP's again

Actually excited for this coaster! A re-rideable family coaster like Manta is what this park needs more of. Wish they’d announce an opening day so I can plan a trip!
I hope by the second week of May, which is when I'm going next but I'll head back in the late summer if it opens later and will be back anyway because of the new shows for the summer time.

I'm also excited, it looks like the perfect fun ride for everyone and its going to be THEMED...thank the gods.

A lot of those construction videos, though, mention that the rain is causing delays in getting the theming installed... you can see how muddy it is when they did the tour. So I don't know, I feel May could be a bit optimistic. Probably more June.

I could definitely see the recent rain being an issue for construction; the ground in SD doesn't really soak up the water like in Florida, plus I know they said the whole footprint of the coaster basically has a concrete slab under it. Interesting to think there might be actual theming work though. Even the VP was describing the theming for this ride as "sparse" early on.

A lot of those construction videos, though, mention that the rain is causing delays in getting the theming installed... you can see how muddy it is when they did the tour. So I don't know, I feel May could be a bit optimistic. Probably more June.
They're doing a promotion right now for pass holders to visit the park 3 times before the end of April to get a quick queue for Arctic Rescue, so I would've guessed they were aiming for a May opening, at least when they announced the promotion last month.

Coming to this: They publicly spoke in the tour that they intend to add a lot of scenic. One of the scenic's they have planned even is the Wild Arctic Helicopter as a example.
Hmm, I mean that helicopter was already there in the queue/loading area. I wonder if the "theming" they're referring to is just whatever is left over from the original ride and exhibit area. Admittedly, that area is pretty well themed, but it's going to be pretty disappointing if the ride itself ends up being a less-themed version of Wave Breaker.

Going to another thing, seems 2024 will be focused on Bay of Play!
Ooh I was just rambling about the Bay of Play area on another forum! Lol. It definitely could use an overhaul, it's pretty sparse for how much space it takes up and the theming looks especially bland now compared to Sesame Place down the road. I wonder if the plan is to move the kid's area somewhere else and use this spot in the middle of the park for something higher-profile.

Incidentally, I visited the park last weekend and I must say SWSD really did a good job with their Seven Seas Food Festival. In addition to the usual stuff they wheel out for every event, they've decorated different areas of the park as the different countries that they're selling food from, complete with themed props, costumes, and live entertainment. I didn't get a chance to see all of the shows, but it was pretty extensive:
  • Polynesian area includes a fire dancers show on par with what you'd see at a $300 luau in Hawaii
  • "Arctic" area has scheduled ice sculpture carvings
  • Chinese/Japanese area hosts a Chinese lion dancers show
  • Mariachi band in the Mexican area
  • Carnivale dancers and "Malandro" acrobats in the Brazilian area
I'd go so far as to say this is the best executed and most elaborate event I've seen at SWSD, and the first time I've seen this park do a better job with one of their events than the Florida parks.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I visited the park last weekend and I must say SWSD really did a good job with their Seven Seas Food Festival. In addition to the usual stuff they wheel out for every event, they've decorated different areas of the park as the different countries that they're selling food from, complete with themed props, costumes, and live entertainment. I didn't get a chance to see all of the shows, but it was pretty extensive:
  • Polynesian area includes a fire dancers show on par with what you'd see at a $300 luau in Hawaii
  • "Arctic" area has scheduled ice sculpture carvings
  • Chinese/Japanese area hosts a Chinese lion dancers show
  • Mariachi band in the Mexican area
  • Carnivale dancers and "Malandro" acrobats in the Brazilian area
I'd go so far as to say this is the best executed and most elaborate event I've seen at SWSD, and the first time I've seen this park do a better job with one of their events than the Florida parks.
Sea World San Diego is now my go to park for Entertainment

In May like last year they will have bands playing at the stadium across from the arctic ride, and thats when I'll get my pass again because its like a legit concert thats just free with your ticket.
Love the entertainment they offer, especially the seasonal shows.

I still to this day have never ridden Tidal Twister and still don’t care to. They could’ve easily put another flat of some kind there. Looks like that’s going to have to be their only option soon.