Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shanghai Disneyland

Seeing how its Disney and how they spend their money . . . . an additional bathroom :lol:

Shanghai's #1 E-ticket :lol:

But sadly, the overseas parks get a lot more nice things than WDW. So this may actually be some additional attractions :p Riding the Frozen phenomenon and adding Cars/Star Wars would be a smart move to make Shanghai Disneyland relevant. Still hoping for Bald Mountain or something Indiana Jones personally

- - - Updated - - -

I see this in the second park, not the first one. The second park would kill it if they had star wars, pandora, marvel. thats the true mystical 5th gate we all desire. Sucks they are making an iron man ride utilizing star tours tech in HK.

So Frozen and Cars for Shanghai's main park? I don't know... I could definitely see a Star Wars mini-land being added on to their Tomorrowland (which only has 4 listed attractions - TRON, Buzz, Stitch show, and a spinner)

Frozen's a no-brainer addition for the new gate. Cars is getting a 3rd movie, so it's possible - maybe a little too American?

I dont understand why Disney decided build a theme park in Shanghai. The surroundings are hideous and its always hazy. Don't get me wrong, the park looks like its going to be beautiful but from every picture I've seen, the sky is always brownish and the areas surrounding the park look very poor. No blue skies.

I dont understand why Disney decided build a theme park in Shanghai. The surroundings are hideous and its always hazy. Don't get me wrong, the park looks like its going to be beautiful but from every picture I've seen, the sky is always brownish and the areas surrounding the park look very poor. No blue skies.
That's the China of the 21st century. Beijing (Universal licensing) is many times worst.....They're all intrigued by China's vast population and economic potential. I'm not.

Do they have any spending money to go to parks like this?

I haven't seen any financials on the Beijing concept. Don't know if it's similar to what Disney did in Japan,which I believe was mostly licensing fees, or it's like the French boondoggle where Disney sunk a lot of money into to keep it afloat. If I had my druthers I'd rather Universal not have much of a financial stake, which could take money away from US investments. The hobbiest historian in me doesn't buy all of the crazy enthusiasm for China & I certainly don't trust their government. Anyone read anything about Universal actual investment in Beijing, if it goes through?....I would think the Russian venture is dead right now due to the border situation.

I haven't seen any financials on the Beijing concept. Don't know if it's similar to what Disney did in Japan,which I believe was mostly licensing fees, or it's like the French boondoggle where Disney sunk a lot of money into to keep it afloat.

It's more similar to Japan. A Shanghai-based group will be the operators of the park.

Do they have any spending money to go to parks like this?

I was in Shanghai over Christmas. It's a city with a substantially large middle class, it also attracts the middle classes from other Chinese cities as a vacation spot.

Your issues with Shanghai are temporary. The area around WDW was nothing but swamp land when it was first built. Within 10 years, the area surrounding Disneyland Shanghai will be much more developed, and the pollution issues will (hopefully) be substantially improved.

Disney had a big choice with this project: build it now and face a few years of losses, or build it in 10 years time at a much higher cost (or much more scaled back plans to meet the same budget), also consider that I'm guessing a large portion of this project is going to funded with cheap loans thanks to the money-printing policies of the FedRes and the Chinese Central Bank. Such cheap credit almost certainly will not exist in the future.

I was in Shanghai over Christmas. It's a city with a substantially large middle class, it also attracts the middle classes from other Chinese cities as a vacation spot.

Your issues with Shanghai are temporary. The area around WDW was nothing but swamp land when it was first built. Within 10 years, the area surrounding Disneyland Shanghai will be much more developed, and the pollution issues will (hopefully) be substantially improved.

Disney had a big choice with this project: build it now and face a few years of losses, or build it in 10 years time at a much higher cost (or much more scaled back plans to meet the same budget), also consider that I'm guessing a large portion of this project is going to funded with cheap loans thanks to the money-printing policies of the FedRes and the Chinese Central Bank. Such cheap credit almost certainly will not exist in the future.

My word, look at your location... and I just listened to Suo Gan 15 minutes ago. (not kidding) How appropriate.

My word, look at your location... and I just listened to Suo Gan 15 minutes ago. (not kidding) How appropriate.

Perhaps I should be ashamed to admit, it took me a bit of Googling to get that reference. I neither heard of that song, nor "Empire of the Sun". I'm a fairly uncultured person, as far as I knew, Christian Bale didn't exist until Batman 2.

Although the reference doesn't apply to my situation exactly, I've not yet been a Japanese prisoner of war.

google updated their images of the park. they are from dec 17th 2014
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.1440058,121.657,231m/data=!3m1!1e3
Screen%20Shot%202015-02-16%20at%208.27.18%20PM.png

Disney Parks Blog posted new photos and details.

"Just a few minutes ago in China, Disney chairman and CEO, Bob Iger unveiled new, exciting details on Shanghai Disney Resort, the area’s first Disney destination, and the six themed lands planned for the Shanghai Disneyland theme park.

Shanghai Disney Resort will be a world-class family entertainment destination that blends the magic of Disney and the cultural spirit and beauty of China. And during a special event that included Disney COO Tom Staggs and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek, Bob Iger shared a peek at what the Resort will look like with the unveiling of a spectacular scale model showcasing its two hotels, Disneytown – its international shopping, dining and entertainment district, Wishing Star Park’s beautiful gardens and six themed lands of mainland China’s first Disney theme park – Shanghai Disneyland.

“We are building something truly special here in Shanghai that not only showcases the best of Disney’s storytelling but also celebrates and incorporates China’s incredibly rich heritage to create a one-of-a-kind destination that will delight and entertain the people of China for generations to come,” said Iger speaking to media during today’s presentation at the Shanghai Expo Centre. “We are taking everything we’ve learned from our six decades of exceeding expectations – along with our relentless innovation and famous creativity to create a truly magical place that is both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese.”

At Shanghai Disneyland, Disney stories will come to life at the tallest, largest and most interactive castle at any Disney theme park. The themed lands will offer something for everyone with live stage productions, world premieres and thrilling attractions – many never seen before – that will appeal to guests of all generations. Guests also will be able to experience Disney characters in each land, including Mickey and his pals on Mickey Avenue and in Gardens of Imagination.

Gallery
Shanghai Disneyland Themed Lands to Include New Attractions, Live Shows

In Tomorrowland, one of the six themed lands, guests will be able to experience the TRON Lightcycle Power Run, a new coaster-style attraction where riders board a train of two-wheeled Lightcycles for one of the most thrilling adventures at any Disney park.

Along with Tomorrowland, we have a more detailed look at the lands coming to Shanghai Disneyland:

Fantasyland will be the largest land and home to the majestic Enchanted Storybook Castle that we’ve already featured here on the Blog. In this fairy-tale paradise, guests will float through familiar Disney stories on Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, hitch a rollicking ride on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and take flight over the skies of London on Peter Pan’s Flight. They may also explore the Hundred Acre Wood with Winnie the Pooh or follow Alice through a dazzling Wonderland maze.

Treasure Cove – will be the first pirate-themed land in a Disney park. As guests explore this pirate world, they will enter Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle of Sunken Treasure, an attraction that transforms a boat ride into a thrilling journey with cutting-edge innovations in robotics, animation, set design and multimedia. Adventurous spirits will be tempted to board a pirate ship, paddle through the scenic cove on Explorer Canoes and dine at Barbossa’s Bounty.

Adventure Isle will immerse guests in a newly discovered lost world, filled with hidden treasures and a chance to explore its mysteries. The mighty Roaring Mountain will tower over guests and beckon them on their journey. Guests can blaze their own trails at Camp Discovery, travel around the world on Soaring over the Horizon, or embark on the thrilling rafting adventure Roaring Rapids, straight through the heart of Adventure Isle. There they discover the underworld realm of a mysterious, fearsome creature.

Tomorrowland will not only include the TRON Lightcycle Power Run but also offer the chance for guests to go to infinity and beyond on Buzz Lightyear Planet Rescue, a new space ranger adventure, or break the bonds of gravity on Jet Packs. The land will feature a massive, color-shifting canopy near the TRON Lightcycle Power Run.

Mickey Avenue will be the first main entry at a Disney park inspired by the colorful personalities of Mickey Mouse and his pals. In the neighborhoods of this welcoming, whimsical avenue, guests will share a hug and get a photo with some all-time favorite Disney characters. Avenue M Arcade, one of the many shops along the avenue, will feature the largest selection of gifts and collectibles inside the theme park.

Gardens of Imagination will celebrate the wonders of nature and the joy of imagination, as guests leave everyday life behind to enjoy the seven whimsical gardens. Guests will take a spin on the Fantasia Carousel, soar on the back of Dumbo the Flying Elephant and enjoy the area’s iconic Disney entertainment, including Castle stage shows and “Ignite the Dream, a Nighttime Spectacular of Magic and Light.” From several places in this land, guests will enjoy “Mickey’s Storybook Express,” an exciting parade with its own musical soundtrack and colorful performers on the longest parade route in a Disney park.

Since breaking ground in 2011, Disney and Shanghai Shendi Group announced that they were expanding the park by adding additional attractions and entertainment to allow more guests to have a spectacular Disney experience at Grand Opening in spring of 2016. Stay tuned for more updates on Shanghai Disney Resort."

Shanghai Disneyland Themed Lands to Include New Attractions, Live Shows « Disney Parks Blog

No wonder we are getting a new video for Soarin', another Park needs it. Copy and paste!

Last edited:
...Ok, so I went in "Finally! I can get more confirmed info of Shanghai Disneyland."

Then when I read the attraction roster.. and I thought; "That's it?"

I was so disappointed I read it again..and I'm going to be hated here, I found this roster to be WORSE than the opening lineup of Euro Disney. At least Euro Disney had a lot more things than this. I just had a great amount of faith for the park but this lineup isn't good. I am giving out hope for Tron and especially Adventure Isle but besides those, I am not excited at this park anymore.

Hmmm... China doesn't want Main Street USA apparently.
Now that's a surprise. The Communist hierarchy doesn't want a US Main Street. Maybe they should have a street from one of those ghost cities they built. China is the true paper tiger. Their progress is transitory and much of it done with mirrors. Time will tell. :D

Parts of it look really great,but I see a missed opportunity with themeing for the facade of Tron. It would have been cool with an arcade facade. I guess they wanted people to see the coaster to draw them in.