Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shanghai Disneyland

I studied abroad in Beijing for a few months. Never went to Shanghai, but I sure hope their pollution is better than Beijing's. About a month into my stay I developed a plethora of health problems. Nasty stuff. My eyeballs and skin felt like they were on fire half the time. Literally on fire. That pollution does really weird things to your body. I've heard Shanghai isn't as bad, though.

I studied abroad in Beijing for a few months. Never went to Shanghai, but I sure hope their pollution is better than Beijing's. About a month into my stay I developed a plethora of health problems. Nasty stuff. My eyeballs and skin felt like they were on fire half the time. Literally on fire. That pollution does really weird things to your body. I've heard Shanghai isn't as bad, though.

That stinks, but I'm sure Disneyland will be fine. Everyone knows those parks have their own controllable climates.

And here's some news about the park: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/08/more-about-shanghai-disneyland.html

Last edited:
Im saying its gonna be a waste of money because they decied to make a park in such a bad area. Like what the "theme park guy" said,"Here, where life appears as if from different times, and from a different world. It's not the orange farms of Anaheim close to L.A.'s film studios. Nor is it the swamplands of the Disney-embracing Florida of the 70s, the harbor of high-tech and wealthy Tokyo, the middle-class suburbs of Paris, or the landfill on Hong Kong's airport island. It's the flat, remote, poor villages of Chuansha, Qigan, and Zhaohang, with all their dirty channels, crooked houses, toothless dogs, and smiling cyclists that made way for the invasion of the mouse"

At least with Disneyland, Los Angeles is not too far away. Disneyworld has beaches close by and NASA isn't to far away either. I just feel that this place is gonna be a fail.

I just feel that this place is gonna be a fail.

This may not have been the place people were expecting, and it may not have been the best choice (Disney has to have some reasons for picking this place, though.), but no disney park can be a fail. Some are better than others, and each has a different attendance rate, but it's true what Walt said: "If you build it, they will come." And go they will.

At least with Disneyland, Los Angeles is not too far away. Disneyworld has beaches close by and NASA isn't to far away either. I just feel that this place is gonna be a fail.

You're not realizing Disney's place in the world anymore. People plan vacations around going to Disney parks, they don't plan vacations and go "Hey, isn't that Disney World place by Clearwater?". Absolutely nothing was in Kissimmee before Disney. Now it's bursting at the seams. A Disney park is the biggest boast a local economy can ever receive.

My sister worked at the World Expo as a translator part time while working on her degree last summer in Shanghai. Now considering her and I have traveled to some of the biggest cities in the US like NYC, Baltimore, DC, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, and so on I trust her judgement when she says there is nothing like Shanghai. During her stay the average wait for one of the expo's was 4-6 hours to which she claimed to be mostly locals. Just within a 90 minute drive of the new resort will be 25 million residents couple that with nearly 350 million who are within a day and halfs drive. My point is location will not be the deciding factor as to whether the resort is a success or fail. Time and time again Disney proves to us the consumer that they are unwilling to build a full days resort upon opening. After what happened with DCA, DSP, and HKDL we will see if they have learned from there mistakes Lets just hope they give people a reason to visit more than once over the course of the first 2-3 years.

I truly believe this will be one of the best disney parks ever built!

I truly hope so, I mean 3.7 billion dollars should be able to buy a pretty nice park dont you think? Pirates Cove is one thing I am really looking forward to as well.

Do I understand correctly that the Shanghai Disneyland castle will be the tallest of any Disney castle?

I would imagine maybe a few feet taller than Orlando but no sure. What we do know is that this will be Disneys first fully interactive castle. Now what that means ????

Do I understand correctly that the Shanghai Disneyland castle will be the tallest of any Disney castle?

I'm not sure. I don't think Disney would put a blinking light on top of a castle, so it really couldn't be much larger than WDW's. Cinderella's castle in Florida was purposely build just under the height requirement for a light to signal aircraft, so it wouldn't be necessary, but I don't know how much shorter they made it. But it will definitely be the biggest castle since they have a ride entrance and a walkthrough attraction in there as well.

I'm not sure. I don't think Disney would put a blinking light on top of a castle, so it really couldn't be much larger than WDW's. Cinderella's castle in Florida was purposely build just under the height requirement for a light to signal aircraft, so it wouldn't be necessary, but I don't know how much shorter they made it. But it will definitely be the biggest castle since they have a ride entrance and a walkthrough attraction in there as well.

True, but do those some building height requirements apply in Shanghai? Disney may be able to build a taller castle without putting the blinking light on top. Depends on what the requirement is for that area.

True, but do those some building height requirements apply in Shanghai? Disney may be able to build a taller castle without putting the blinking light on top. Depends on what the requirement is for that area.
I'm pretty sure I've heard that the limits are higher, if not non existent, there, but I could be wrong.

I can see that this thread hasn't been active in a while, so here is an overall update post.

The official Shanghai Disneyland Resort website has posted the following information:
About the Resort
Shanghai Disney Resort, the first Disney resort in Mainland China, will be a place where friends and family can escape together to a whole new world of fantasy, imagination, creativity and adventure.

The resort will include a park designed in the rich tradition of Disneyland theme parks around the world, two themed hotels, a large retail, dining and entertainment venue and an array of recreation facilities. The resort will be located in Pudong, Shanghai and is targeted to open at the end of 2015.

Shanghai Disneyland
When Guests enter the gates of a Disney theme park anywhere in the world, they are transported into a universe of imagination, fantasy and adventure. Here, Mickey Mouse and his friends come to life, the future beckons and dreams really do come true. With Shanghai Disneyland, Guests of all ages will have an exciting and extraordinary new place to play. Shanghai Disneyland will include signature Disney experiences that Guests around the world know and love, but will also feature exciting new elements that will be unique to the Shanghai Disney Resort. Shanghai Disneyland will be both authentically Disney and distinctly Chinese.

Creative Overview
Throughout Shanghai Disneyland, classic Disney characters and storytelling will blend with all-new attractions and experiences designed specifically for the people of China. The park will consist of several themed "lands," each with their own distinct attractions, entertainment and experiences. At the heart of the park will be Storybook Castle, the most interactive Disney castle yet, complete with entertainment, dining and performance spaces. It will truly be an attraction unto itself.

Innovation and Technology
Innovative new technology has always been a part of the Disney vacation experience, and Shanghai Disney Resort will continue that tradition. Shanghai Disneyland will take advantage of advances in technology to place Guests in exciting worlds where they can be part of the action like never before.​

Hotels
Around the world, Disney hotels are known for their attention to detail and outstanding Guest service. At Shanghai Disney Resort this tradition will continue with the construction of two themed hotels. Each hotel will have its own distinct theme, a unique selection of shopping and dining opportunities, and a variety of recreation options.

The hotels will be located in close proximity to Shanghai Disneyland and to the resort's shopping, dining and recreation area, making it very easy to turn a visit to Shanghai Disney Resort into a true getaway.

Resort Amenities
Shanghai Disney Resort will provide recreation areas where friends and families can explore their creativity, connect with nature and enjoy memorable moments together. Guests will find a sparkling lake and green spaces for walking and enjoying nature.

Shopping, Dining & Entertainment
Just outside of the park, Guests will find a lively shopping, dining and entertainment area. From enjoying meals with friends and family to finding unique souvenirs and seeing world-class entertainment, this area will provide fun and excitement for Guests of all ages.

Guests can plan to spend a few hours during the day visiting and enjoying a variety of fun-filled activities in the area. This venue will also be the perfect place to end a day after a visit to Shanghai Disneyland.

With something for everyone, this festive venue will be a "must-visit" for anyone living in or traveling to Shanghai.

Screamscape's last major post regarding the future resort:

The latest report from Disney and More has quite a bit to share about the possible attraction lineup we could be seeing at Shanghai Disneyland, which also involves a possibly scaled back “Phase 1” plan, with more attractions left up in the air as possible future expansion space. Please keep in mind that there is a lot of time left before we see this park open and the plans are bound to go through a ton of changes along the way still before the first guests are allowed in through the gates.
....From the sound of things currently, Fantasyland may be the most fleshed out land designed for the park. This makes sense as it is also the most likely land to contain the most “off-the-shelf” style attractions installed at other Disney parks. The list implies we can count on seeing classic rides like Dumbo, a Carousel and Peter Pan’s Flight, with the Winnie the Pooh dark ride said to be a close copy of the Florida and Hong Kong versions, and not the Tokyo version. The land is also supposed to feature a copy of the new Seven Dwarves Mine Train ride currently going into Walt Disney World, in addition to the unique “Castle Boat Ride” we’ve talked about previously. Disney and More believes that the Tea Cups ride however may not make the cut.
....Adventureland sounds like it will match up quite well with what I’ve also reported lately, and feature the Lost World River Rapids ride as well as a heavy themed pirates area that will be home to a new generation Pirates of the Caribbean ride as well as a possible Pirates themed stunt show. Disney and More believes there may be some kind of walk through attraction named “Sunken Treasure” here as well. (I’ve got to wonder if this may be more of an exportable environment style thing to appeal to the kids much like the Pirate’s Lair built on top of Tom Sawyer’s Island at Disneyland.)
....All that is known about the parks other major land, Tomorrowland, is that it will feature that long rumored Tron Lightcycle themed indoor coaster. There is also a desire for an Astro Orbiter, an interactive Stitch Encounter as seen in Hong Kong as well as a possible new Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters style dark ride concept that could have more in common with Toy Story Mania than previous Buzz Lightyear rides.

Presentation from D23:

[video=youtube;YKUVhJykclY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUVhJykclY[/video]

Attractions Magazine has posted a breakdown of the section of the above video that shows off the castle plans. The clip in question can be watched on YouTube at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apXAzSCVPkI

j4RjQ7BYSQPUE.jpg

From the official press release regarding the castle:

The Enchanted Storybook Castle is going to be the largest and most immersive castle at any Disney park around the world and it will be the first of our castles not dedicated to a specific princess because it represents all of them. Inside, guests will be able to explore the multi-level castle, which will feature a princess meet and greet, the first ever Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique princess makeover experience inside a castle and Once Upon a Time Adventure, a large-scale, walkthrough experience. Also for the first time, the castle will be part of a boat ride attraction that will be one of the anchor experiences of Fantasyland.

Concept Art:

jSWHwAch5ZzoI.jpg

jRAqx0hQLKCWS.jpg

jbkwaPPBqSQPbR.jpg

jbgx1Wo30X90DQ.jpg

jonn1FLBCsjyX.jpg

jdVNWFkxW69GV.jpg

Lastly, the official website now has a page listing a wide range of job opportunities.

Is there a Main St. USA? Doesn't appear so.

It seems like I remember hearing that this would be one of the big differences in the Shanghai park, and that the entrance area would be unique as opposed to reusing the Main Street concept from all of the other Disneyland parks. Of course, I can't really validate that.

It sounds as if the Chinese gov has demanded something less western, less American, and in that, less Disney. This should be interesting, and I don't mean it in a good way.

It sounds as if the Chinese gov has demanded something less western, less American, and in that, less Disney. This should be interesting, and I don't mean it in a good way.
Not including Main Street USA wouldn't exactly mean "less western, less American, and less Disney". It's just something different.

No MSUSA, no Frontierland.

I'd have to agree for the most part. The park enters into Fantasyland.

On top of that, most of the concepts aren't all that interesting, IMO.