Sheikra Refurbishment (January 2013) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Sheikra Refurbishment (January 2013)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Is the dive about the same height as Sheikra's second?

Sheikra's second drop is 138 feet, whereas Oblivion's is about 196ft (with just under 100ft being underground), so we have a higher drop than your 2nd drop. However, Sheikra has 90 degree drops. Back in 1998 (when Oblivion first opened), spring-loaded wheels hadn't been designed or patented so we have a 88.8 degree drop, not much difference but it was still seen as the world first verticle drop coaster.

Reactions: Andy
Is the dive about the same height as Sheikra's second?

Sheikra's second drop is 138 feet, whereas Oblivion's is about 196ft (with just under 100ft being underground), so we have a higher drop than your 2nd drop. However, Sheikra has 90 degree drops. Back in 1998 (when Oblivion first opened), spring-loaded wheels hadn't been designed or patented so we have a 88.8 degree drop, not much difference but it was still seen as the world first verticle drop coaster.

Spot on with the drops and height :thumbs: didn't know about the wheels and the angel of drop, good knowledge thanks for sharing:thumbs:

Sheikra looks far sexier though, that red is stunning.

Excellent insight and knowledge thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Hard to believe its already 15yrs old.

Sheikra's drop feels so much bigger than oblivions, and going straight into the loop is awesome.
Seems like we always only ever get half a coaster over in the UK.

Sheikra's drop feels so much bigger than oblivions, and going straight into the loop is awesome.

It's because of all those homeowners who complain about anything they can to keep the noise down. :lol:

It's because of all those homeowners who complain about anything they can to keep the noise down. :lol:

Yep, bloody the Ropers are forever dragging the park through the courts, mainly for noise. They only live there half the year and it has cost them millions yet still they fight AT :mad:.

Oblivion used to have speakers up by the top of the drop, DONT LOOK DOWN they would play as you teetered over the edge, they were made to take them out as the Ropers complained that they induced screaming.

The majority of folk around the towers are OK, they understand how much AT does for the area and local business. Unfortunately a few decide to constantly kick up a fuss. We currently have one regarding the proposed new lodges due to begin construction soon.

- - - Updated - - -

We are like a testing ground for the manufactures at AT, especially B&M. That has what has got us all those worlds firsts. Expect another one soon with The Smiler although it is Gerst this time. :thumbs:. UK parks only have a fraction of the money the big players in the US have, we do OK. Nemesis is still one of the best around in my eyes, can't wait to ride her on Saturday :happy:

Last edited:
Im down in essex and havnt managed to get up to Alton towers since just before 13 opened.

Try to get down to Thorpe park as much as I can thoug, riding Saw and Swarm are the closest im going to get to a thrill ride any time soon

Im down in essex and havnt managed to get up to Alton towers since just before 13 opened.

Try to get down to Thorpe park as much as I can thoug, riding Saw and Swarm are the closest im going to get to a thrill ride any time soon

I actually really like swarm and will be down that way in April to try it backwards. Not so keen on Saw though as I find it a rough uncomfortable ride, worrying as this is the same company (Gerstlaur) and style (Eurofighter) that The Smiler is based on. Time will tell. Nemesis Inferno, Stealth and Colossus are all worth a spin down at Thorpe too.

I actually really like swarm and will be down that way in April to try it backwards. Not so keen on Saw though as I find it a rough uncomfortable ride, worrying as this is the same company (Gerstlaur) and style (Eurofighter) that The Smiler is based on. Time will tell. Nemesis Inferno, Stealth and Colossus are all worth a spin down at Thorpe too.
I think the tried to put Saw intoo small a footprint, it feels cramped.
I still think its one of the better coasters we have in the UK though.

Just an FYI, the hard constant work at Sheikra has paid off. Sheikra is now open again.

To add to this, I received this in an email from BG.

After 600 gallons of paint, and 7,000 hours of work, SheiKra is ready to reopen. Check out how we did it!

WHERE: SheiKra, our ferocious, floorless dive coaster that inches you mercilessly over the edge—and stops.

WHEN: Saturdays and Sundays, February 16 – March 3 from 8am – 9am. Park opens to the public at 9am.

HOW: Use your Annual Pass to get early entrance into the park. The first 200 members to ride will receive a FREE SheiKra photo.

Do you have friends and family that want to join? Save $20 on single day admission and they can enter early too! Buy your tickets now.

Last edited: