Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shrek 4D Memorial Thread (USF)

Apr 29, 2013
Florida
With one of the Shrek theaters apparently getting used for Halloween Horror Nights, this puts the fate of this attraction up in the air. Is this the first phase of Shrek's removal from the resort? I don't see them gutting it just to put it back, especially at a mediocre attraction that is one of the worst in the resort.

Discuss

Well, it'd be easy to assume that... but with all the projects that are currently a priority, it's not going anywhere and will be back to normal after the event.

How will the house use the Shrek 4-D attraction if they aren't removing the major pieces of it? Or, are the chairs in the theater and other props easy to replace and put back in? This has peaked my curiosity if Shrek is in fact staying. Maybe they are shooting a 4-D movie to have a screenbased attraction?

How have I not noticed there's more than on theatre?!

Yeah, I never knew there were two theaters either. I saw it once and that was it. I just walked by, seeing the crowds in line and thought, "those poor bastards".

I'm probably the only person on OU that enjoys Shrek. I think the pre show is hilarious. And I like the film & effects also. I only do it once a vacation, but hope it stays for a few more years. ...Why do I feel like I just went to an AA meeting & confessed to being an alcoholic & wife beater? LOL

I can't see Shrek leaving in the near future. The IP is still somewhat popular and a 5th movie is potentially on the way. If the 5th movie is made and is successful, they should build a dark ride somewhere.

There is a lot more room in Shrek than we are giving credit..plus..there is an outdoor extended queue with more space..

The ride is staying for a while

I think the reuse of one of the theaters for HHN just means that they're comfortable bringing the capacity down because the popularity is starting to wane. It's decline isn't at Twister levels yet.

I think the reuse of one of the theaters for HHN just means that they're comfortable bringing the capacity down because the popularity is starting to wane. It's decline isn't at Twister levels yet.

Quality wise? It's WAY below Twister. I'd rather see Twister any day than this garbage. The theaters look like total junk, destroyed.

Removing the seats is kinda big.. Maybe this one theater won't come back? I'd guess the seats have hydraulic lines and other things running into the ground

The problem with Shrek is two-fold:
1. Ever since Avatar came out, 3D's become such a passe experience at movie theaters that 4D movies at parks have diminished in appeal and no longer feel special like they used to.
2. DreamWorks actually hurt this attraction when they released a DVD of the film all those years ago. Now that they even play it on Netflix (as the Return of Farquaad or whatever), there really doesn't seem to be a point to even see it at Universal anymore.
As much as I'd hate to see Shrek's presence leave, they really shot themselves in the foot on this one.

The problem with Shrek is two-fold:
1. Ever since Avatar came out, 3D's become such a passe experience at movie theaters that 4D movies at parks have diminished in appeal and no longer feel special like they used to.
2. DreamWorks actually hurt this attraction when they released a DVD of the film all those years ago. Now that they even play it on Netflix (as the Return of Farquaad or whatever), there really doesn't seem to be a point to even see it at Universal anymore.
As much as I'd hate to see Shrek's presence leave, they really shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Yes, your local movie theater does the same things 4-D rides do now (The seats even move)...besides water and some other effects

IMO that was a dumb move to release the 3-D film on DVD..

Shrek certainly should go, there is plenty of space for a good ride there

Closing the show down to house a temporary attraction during one of the slower times of the year is not an indicator that the show will be leaving. Foreigners love this show, I would imagine Shrek is pretty popular still overseas. And foreign tourists are where Universal's easy money comes from. I also think that the fact they recently built a whole land devoted to Shrek in Singapore shows Universal's "loyalty" to this franchise.

Also, the show isn't *that* bad. The theming in the queue and theaters is atrocious and the seats are stupidly loud and obnoxious but the show itself is actually pretty well-written for a theme park attraction.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, your local movie theater does the same things 4-D rides do now (The seats even move)...besides water and some other effects

IMO that was a dumb move to release the 3-D film on DVD..

Shrek certainly should go, there is plenty of space for a good ride there

OR, releasing the films on DVD demonstrates the public's demand for it...

They could do something seasonal and install various indoor experiences depending on a) a film that Universal just released/will be releasing that can be given a cool exhibition, b) HHN houses, c) other holiday-based exhibits (e.g. Bourbon Street set for Mardi Gras food court, New Years Eve nightclub, Christmas set).

Shrek is just not life anymore. Lol.

Shrek is an awful attraction, but it's a semi-popular IP and easy for Universal to operate. It's staying for the near future unfortunately.