Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yea I already pointed out that the new walls was their solution, expect the same on the queue side of the ride. I'll be there Tuesday, so expect an update.

While that would be nice too I really don't think anyone is clamoring for a new observation tower outside of purists and the people on these boards. I can't imagine that would be a big selling point for anyone visiting the park.
Actually that is where you'd be incorrect. Many guests on a daily basis ask how to get to the Sky Tower or when it will open, never actually knowing it has been dormant for ages. Normal sky tower rides at parks that provide a nice scenic view of the park (and the surrounding dirt hills :rolleyes:) are quite a big draw because it also allows families to do one more thing in the park together.

1 - I thought the big rumor is that they are, in fact, finally getting a lot of flat rides soon. What basis/info do you have to say that it won't have any?

2- With a tentative name of "Adrenaline Alley", that definitely implies more than one attraction is coming. To me, the question is, is a flat ride package coming as it's own announcement, or will it be in addition to a new coaster?
1- Well lets stop and think about that for a second. It has taken them basically nearly 7 months to build a stupid carnival ride (aka Crazanity), when in actuality it should've been built & open within a month. It was supposed to open back in March, but didn't go erect until June. And you're expecting them to add a multitude of flat rides?

2- Wrong. A name like "Adrenaline Alley" implies NOTHING. All it means is that the newly redone area will be comprised of 2 coasters, go carts, sky swing & maybe the return of sling shot. (those up-charge attractions waste so much valuable ride/expansion space). Do NOT expect anything other than the new coaster. Why?... Exhibit A: "Screampunk District". Nothing "new" was actually added outside of themeing the area to tie into the new Colossus revamp. Huge wasted opportunity for new flat rides, but nothing.

^^^ More space for another flat?
Negative ghost rider. There isn't enough room to SAFELY have another ride beneath Crazanity. But ugh, I really wish they'd landscape the area, even if it is walled off... although, I'd have rather seen it landscaped & have a nice permanent brick/metal railing fence over the ugly wooden wall.

Yea I already pointed out that the new walls was their solution, expect the same on the queue side of the ride. I'll be there Tuesday, so expect an update.

Actually that is where you'd be incorrect. Many guests on a daily basis ask how to get to the Sky Tower or when it will open, never actually knowing it has been dormant for ages. Normal sky tower rides at parks that provide a nice scenic view of the park (and the surrounding dirt hills :rolleyes:) are quite a big draw because it also allows families to do one more thing in the park together.

1- Well lets stop and think about that for a second. It has taken them basically nearly 7 months to build a stupid carnival ride (aka Crazanity), when in actuality it should've been built & open within a month. It was supposed to open back in March, but didn't go erect until June. And you're expecting them to add a multitude of flat rides?

2- Wrong. A name like "Adrenaline Alley" implies NOTHING. All it means is that the newly redone area will be comprised of 2 coasters, go carts, sky swing & maybe the return of sling shot. (those up-charge attractions waste so much valuable ride/expansion space). Do NOT expect anything other than the new coaster. Why?... Exhibit A: "Screampunk District". Nothing "new" was actually added outside of themeing the area to tie into the new Colossus revamp. Huge wasted opportunity for new flat rides, but nothing.

Negative ghost rider. There isn't enough room to SAFELY have another ride beneath Crazanity. But ugh, I really wish they'd landscape the area, even if it is walled off... although, I'd have rather seen it landscaped & have a nice permanent brick/metal railing fence over the ugly wooden wall.

Since the park is making such a large investment for 2019, do you know if they will scale back for their 50th anniversary or what the rumors are for that?

Honestly, I haven't heard anything yet.... but again, this is the same park that is just pretty much winging it. They've taken half a year to build one swinging disc ride. And already started prep for an unannounced project in the back of the park. Not to mention staff the park properly or provide park guests with entertainment offerings (outside of the mediocre Full Throttle Nights which doesn't begin until 5:30pm-ish each day) during the day or have proper known set times for characters.

I wouldn't expect anything spectacular for their 50th. Have they done anything in the past for their 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, etc etc anniversaries?

Honestly, I haven't heard anything yet.... but again, this is the same park that is just pretty much winging it. They've taken half a year to build one swinging disc ride. And already started prep for an unannounced project in the back of the park. Not to mention staff the park properly or provide park guests with entertainment offerings (outside of the mediocre Full Throttle Nights which doesn't begin until 5:30pm-ish each day) during the day or have proper known set times for characters.

I wouldn't expect anything spectacular for their 50th. Have they done anything in the past for their 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th, etc etc anniversaries?

Well a 50th anniversary seems like a bigger deal than say a 35th anniversary.

As for Crazanity, it's my understanding that the park has also refurbed and worked on other projects like the new restrooms, refurbing Johnny Rockets, games, Tidal Wave, etc. It seems like they saved CZ for the summer.

I know you're not a fan of CZ, but it's actually got me excited. Oh and I HATE flat rides. I always skip them whenever I go to an amusement park. It makes me think of my local county fair. BUTTTTT...Crazanity looks massive, scary, intimidating, and fun as hell. Again, I always take a hard pass on flat rides, but I'll give this one a go.

Well a 50th anniversary seems like a bigger deal than say a 35th anniversary.

As for Crazanity, it's my understanding that the park has also refurbed and worked on other projects like the new restrooms, refurbing Johnny Rockets, games, Tidal Wave, etc. It seems like they saved CZ for the summer.
Tell that to Disney... they're all about milestones, Six Flags not so much

Okay, let me break this down:
I can assure the restrooms next to the Scrambler are not "new" (they can't fix the actual issue with them due to when they were put in many eons ago, the actual pipes were apparently encased in cement underground). They "look" nicer, but they didn't do anything special.

Johnny Rockets got a repaint, thats all. It never closed for a legit refurbishment.

The midway games got a fresh coat of paint. Nothing more.

Tidal Wave has been closed for a little over half the year. All it got was a fresh coat of turquoise colored paint on the railings and a little landscaping. Since it was closed for such a long time, they had the perfect opportunity to completely give it an overhaul & retheme it to Aquaman (which would've been perfect due to its location between DC Universe & Metropolis).

The bumper cars are getting an upgrade (lighting, music, etc), but yet its still behind a construction fence when they should've been reopened by now.

Crazanity was meant to open in March for Spring Break, but their laziness delayed it to late spring, then early summer, to now- the middle of summer.

1-This argument doesn't follow at all. Just because they're taking a long time to open this flat ride has absolutely nothing to do with the fact they may have more planned. The park is devoid of flat rides, and they know it. In case you missed my arguments earlier, the last flat ride they installed prior to Crazinity was Swashbuckler in 1986. To say that a delay opening one new flat ride since 1986 means they're going to give up on flat rides makes no sense whatsoever, unless you have explicit knowledge. In fact, most rumors I've heard do say flat rides are coming. Question is just when and where.

2-You have a bit more of a case here, but the agreements still don't follow. A "district" doesn't imply a multitude of thrills, so I didn't necessarily expect new additions. Although they fact they have a show is a bit of an addition. Alley does, in fact, imply a variety of thrills. That said, it's subjective, and I would concede that a new coaster, along with Apocolypse, go carts, and maybe sling shot could be construed as enough... but I'll hold out hope for more. I mean, that's a huge chuck of land going under the knife. Anything's possible.

Let's not also forget there are quite a few nooks and crannies in the park where a flat ride could easily be dropped (old Sierra/Swiss Twist area, lower Dragon station, Spin Out, come to mind immediately). Many people on this thread have also stated they believe flat rides are coming.

As for all your points in the post above, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying painting is not equivalent to... what, exactly? Refurbishment? I mean, what else would you want them to do to a Scrambler? Get rid of it for the sake of getting rid of it, when it's a perfectly functioning, classic flat ride that's original to the park and appeals to a wide range of ages? You'd rather it look dumpy and burning hot in the sun? And just because they didn't put an Aquaman overlay on Tidal Wave, reopening it is a waste?

I feel like you're equating delays with SFMM being uncaring/no vision for the future. The two ideas aren't connected.

Reactions: chris.g
1- the last flat ride they installed prior to Crazinity was Swashbuckler in 1986.

2-You have a bit more of a case here, but the agreements still don't follow. A "district" doesn't imply a multitude of thrills, so I didn't necessarily expect new additions. Although they fact they have a show is a bit of an addition. Alley does, in fact, imply a variety of thrills. That said, it's subjective, and I would concede that a new coaster, along with Apocolypse, go carts, and maybe sling shot could be construed as enough... but I'll hold out hope for more. I mean, that's a huge chuck of land going under the knife. Anything's possible.

Let's not also forget there are quite a few nooks and crannies in the park where a flat ride could easily be dropped (old Sierra/Swiss Twist area, lower Dragon station, Spin Out, come to mind immediately). Many people on this thread have also stated they believe flat rides are coming.

As for all your points in the post above, I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying painting is not equivalent to... what, exactly? Refurbishment? I mean, what else would you want them to do to a Scrambler? Get rid of it for the sake of getting rid of it, when it's a perfectly functioning, classic flat ride that's original to the park and appeals to a wide range of ages? You'd rather it look dumpy and burning hot in the sun? And just because they didn't put an Aquaman overlay on Tidal Wave, reopening it is a waste?

I feel like you're equating delays with SFMM being uncaring/no vision for the future. The two ideas aren't connected.
1- If they cared about added more flat rides, and the last one they added was allegedly in the 80s, they wouldn't have removed the many others they used to have & instead have relocated them elsewhere. And yes, a long time for something that should've been done in a month does not boost any confidence in adding more.

2- This is six flags, not Universal or Disney (although their standards have lowered), so to expect anything "more" from an existing area that is getting revamped is just silly. Especially since the last "new land" they did didn't actually add anything new.

3- Trust me. I'm fully aware of all the locations they have to add new things, the problem is, the park doesn't seem to notice. They've let these areas sit untouched for years... hell, Crazanity is where one of the old monorail stations was (speaking of which, you can still see part of the old monorail track within the trees).

4- Of course you don't understand. You're missing the bigger picture- people want to say they're going all out with upgrades, but in reality, they're going cheap. Their solution is to just put a band-aid on everything. Also, for the record, that Scrambler is NOT original to the park. Its on the newer side. Thankfully they solved the main issue it had. When it was hot, the sun would heat it up so much that it was too hot for guests to sit on, so they added the tarp to provide shade. Unfortunately, the ride is kinda devoid of lighting at night.

5- Nobody said reopening Tidal Wave was a waste. You do realize its been closed for a majority of the past few months due to it being "too cold". That goes for the other two water rides as well because they're "seasonal". Jet Stream did get some work done (nothing excessive though). But my point is, the little bit of paint they did to the railings and what-not of Tidal Wave, did not happen until last month just before the ride reopened. The ride should've gotten a full blown face-lift when they opened the new Metropolis area (Riddler at least got repainted) considering its proximity.

Food for thought: remember when Cedar Fair trademarked the name, “The Ledge”, and everyone assumes that’s what the 2018 coaster at Knott’s was going to be called?

Just because it’s trademarked doesn’t mean it WILL be used.

Reactions: Wesker69
1- If they cared about added more flat rides, and the last one they added was allegedly in the 80s, they wouldn't have removed the many others they used to have & instead have relocated them elsewhere. And yes, a long time for something that should've been done in a month does not boost any confidence in adding more.

2- This is six flags, not Universal or Disney (although their standards have lowered), so to expect anything "more" from an existing area that is getting revamped is just silly. Especially since the last "new land" they did didn't actually add anything new.

3- Trust me. I'm fully aware of all the locations they have to add new things, the problem is, the park doesn't seem to notice. They've let these areas sit untouched for years... hell, Crazanity is where one of the old monorail stations was (speaking of which, you can still see part of the old monorail track within the trees).

4- Of course you don't understand. You're missing the bigger picture- people want to say they're going all out with upgrades, but in reality, they're going cheap. Their solution is to just put a band-aid on everything. Also, for the record, that Scrambler is NOT original to the park. Its on the newer side. Thankfully they solved the main issue it had. When it was hot, the sun would heat it up so much that it was too hot for guests to sit on, so they added the tarp to provide shade. Unfortunately, the ride is kinda devoid of lighting at night.

5- Nobody said reopening Tidal Wave was a waste. You do realize its been closed for a majority of the past few months due to it being "too cold". That goes for the other two water rides as well because they're "seasonal". Jet Stream did get some work done (nothing excessive though). But my point is, the little bit of paint they did to the railings and what-not of Tidal Wave, did not happen until last month just before the ride reopened. The ride should've gotten a full blown face-lift when they opened the new Metropolis area (Riddler at least got repainted) considering its proximity.

I really just don't buy most of your arguments. They're not based in any sort of fact, just your inferences opinions. Lack of evidence is not evidence.

1 - You assume it's been the same management team all along. As we know, different management teams have different goals. Just because they removed a lot of flat rides 10+ years ago says nothing about their ideas for the future.

2-Same

3-Same

4-You have some point here. Some. But paint is still an upgrade from not painting, which is something else people accuse SF of--neglect. So they get screwed by fans if they leave it alone, and if they paint it, they still get screwed by fans???? Could've they done more? Quite likely, that's the point I'd give you. But this is SF, where atmosphere is not necessarily their #1 priority. I mean, what exactly would have satisfied you?

5-Same as above... what would you liked to have seen from a Tidal Wave face-lift? To me, it's a rather pointless, dated water ride. Did anyone really even miss it while it was closed? Giving it a full Aquaman makeover would have been a waste to me... I'd rather see a small touch up there and better use the money for other projects.

I have a gut feeling that MAXX FORCE is going to be the name of the new coaster.

One thing is for sure. This MACK Coaster is going to breath life into the apocalyptic and sad Cyclone Bay & that dead area of the park.

I'm genuinely curious to see what the park is going to do with Apocalypse. I've always loved that woodie. We'll see. Wonder if they'll go the RMC route?

I have a gut feeling that MAXX FORCE is going to be the name of the new coaster.

One thing is for sure. This MACK Coaster is going to breath life into the apocalyptic and sad Cyclone Bay & that dead area of the park.

I'm genuinely curious to see what the park is going to do with Apocalypse. I've always loved that woodie. We'll see. Wonder if they'll go the RMC route?
I think they should contact RMC to just put their Topper Track on it, that way it can continue to be a wooden coaster. Keep the same layout and elements with RMC trains as well. Sure it'll be a weaker RMC and not feel like a true woodie, but this is the best solution.

I wouldn't get too amped up over those trademark names... hell, "west coast racer" could easily just be a new name for the stupid "Cyclone 500 Speedway" :rolleyes: I wouldn't put it past them to do it.

I really just don't buy most of your arguments. They're not based in any sort of fact, just your inferences opinions. Lack of evidence is not evidence
I have nothing to prove. And my arguments are more based on fact than you will ever know. Not opinions. The point is, the park is a poorly mismanaged mess that never strives to go that one step further to be better. Even their entertainment (what little they have) is severe lacking.

I actually like both those names.

But I thought you said that Apocalypse was going to be renamed West Coast Racer?

As a fun little thing, it was actually a guess I had said to him in private, which, I thought made sense, considering it could've been rethemed to be something like box-car racing as a tribute to that era, and it would've worked so well with the wooden track.

Reactions: chris.g
I have nothing to prove. And my arguments are more based on fact than you will ever know. Not opinions. The point is, the park is a poorly mismanaged mess that never strives to go that one step further to be better. Even their entertainment (what little they have) is severe lacking.

I don't know, you seem pretty intent on "proving" that the park is a poorly mismanaged mess. And while you may indeed have facts, if you can't quote them, how am I supposed to believe them? Not saying you're lying... in fact, I would probably believe you do have inside information. But if you can't quote those sources, can you at least see why I'd be dubious?

All that said, I don't believe the SF philosophy is to be much better than what we're already getting. They're never going to be competing against Disney, so why even try? It's not even the same market. Their market is essentially thrill seeking teens who are not overly concerned with aesthetics (it just shouldn't look like a dump), with a bit more emphasis on families of late. But even in their quest for the family audience, it's still experience/thrill based rather than atmosphere. Putting all the work you suggest would be like putting on an exquisite, ornate frame on a velvet painting of Elvis. When the frame would just get tagged anyway. :D

So in the end, I'm agreeing with you that they could be better. Where we seem to diverge is that I don't think need to do better in this department, and the work they're currently putting in is (largely--thought certainly not completely) sufficient, while you seem to feel they should do more.

Personally, I think SFMM is in a catch-22 in this regard. I recall hearing once, after Knott's removed Berry Tales and that space went unused for a long time, they were asked why they didn't put anything in there. Essentially their reply was, "Anything we do in there won't ever be as good as down the street." Sure enough, even now, there's many who feel Iron Reef is terrible. (I actually think it's one of the better shooting games, better than Midway Mania, actually--except in the loading process.)

SFMM has got to be in a similar situation... if they don't do anything, people like you bemoan them for being lazy and not trying. Then, when they do try with what is probably one of their most ambitious dark rides to date, JL, people say it's not as good as Disney.